BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 R1200RTW,2016 RnineT,2017 Suzuki Hayabusa,2015 Can Am Spyder F3
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear the 1V the V and the V1 690 and another unit all talked about. What would you suggest? I will buy used. What to look out for?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT LE
56 Posts
I'm running the Garmin XT and I am completely satisfied with its performance. I bought the hornig mount and it brings the GPS a little closer than stock. Refer to the link for the mount. If you need a pic of my setup say the word.

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
427 Posts
There have been recent posts relevant to your question. I'd say there is something close to a consensus (amongst forum posters, whatever that statistical subset represents), that the Garmin Zumo XT is a better GPS than the somewhat problematic BMW NAV6. Both the Zumo and the NAV6 are Garmin products, by the way, with the NAV6 being a BMW branded Garmin product. Assuming that you have a 2016 RT that's pre-configured with the factory GPS cradle, two good options exist to give you almost "OEM" look and feel, i.e. snap in/snap out installation and power, using the OEM cradle.

The E-nav XT RT bracket

Motorcycle Phone Holder GPS Navigation Stand Bracket For BMW R1200RT R1250RT
Product Camera accessory Automotive design Font Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Product Automotive tire Gadget Automotive design

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior Font

I have my Zumo mounted via the E-nav bracket, and am happy with that mount option. The GPS itself is specifically designed for off-road riders (great maps, etc.), but certainly has good functionality for street bikes or cars as well. That bracket source is an ebay listing, but it's available from other sources (probably Amazon), too. Those who have it say that they love it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just viewed some Youtube video's about the Garmin XT mount. i think thats a good idea. I already have the Amazon phone adapter and it is just OK. Now looking for a sale on a Garmin XT.
Thanks

·
Registered
642 Posts
I just added the Zumo XT in front of the Nav cradle on my 2019 RT. It took maybe an hour, including soldering and mounting. Cost-less than $6 in bolts and spacers. I used the existing power to the Nav, spliced in. The XT is a perfect fit tucked in nicely. You need to be a bit creative to release it, but not impossible. I'm pleased, and the comparison of the Nav units and XT is not even close. There are many Youtube videos that give nice easy help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think i want to sorder in that and would rather buy the bracket. But is the only supplyer of this bracket in Italy or can I get it here in the USA?

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
427 Posts
I just viewed some Youtube video's about the Garmin XT mount. i think thats a good idea. I already have the Amazon phone adapter and it is just OK. Now looking for a sale on a Garmin XT.
Thanks
Well, it's getting late in the (USA) riding season. I picked up my Zumo XT for about $400 from Amazon on a November "Black Friday" sale. If you can wait a bit, I expect that they'll have a similar deal. (Sargent also discounted their seats during that period, too, so if you're looking for an aftermarket seat, check into that, as well. FYI.)

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
427 Posts
I don't think i want to sorder in that and would rather buy the bracket. But is the only supplyer of this bracket in Italy or can I get it here in the USA?
That bracket is only available from Italy, as far as I can recall. The only problem is that shipping cost is almost as much as the item, i.e. I found the shipping itself to be both reliable and quick. It's just gonna cost you $100 bucks if you go that direction. I might have tried that universal bracket (second link), but I like the solid feel of the E-nav RT XT bracket. The Zumo feels "OEM" on the install and retrieval, i.e. just a solid fit, no vibration. I'm happy with it.

For the $100 I paid for the bracket and $400 for the Zumo, compared to the $1000 that BMW want's for it's precious, buggy NAV6, I'm quite happy with that purchase decision. No wire splicing, no rigging up bolts and spacers, or dash disassembly, it's just a real, clean solution. Attach the bracket, snap in Zumo, and you're down the road.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just ordered the Italian adapter. I am not sure but it seems to have the shipping included for $61.32. Doesn't seem right but they sent me the receipt of course in Italian and it seems to look right.....

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
427 Posts
I just ordered the Italian adapter. I am not sure but it seems to have the shipping included for $61.32. Doesn't seem right but they sent me the receipt of course in Italian and it seems to look right.....
Well, you're a better man that I, if you got it for that.
Maybe they're doing free shipping now. My invoice says, this which came out to $104.78 USD.

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Magenta

I'm pretty sure that you'll like the product. They produced a video illustrating the installation (see web site), which is a bit confusing. Let me know by private message if you get stuck on any of the details.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Try your XT in the portrait position. Lots more information available. We have been socialized into believing that a GPS should be positioned in landscape. I like to know what is going on up ahead of me and not to my distant left and right.

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
427 Posts
Try your XT in the portrait position. Lots more information available. We have been socialized into believing that a GPS should be positioned in landscape. I like to know what is going on up ahead of me and not to my distant left and right.
Lol, that's why I opted to get a ball mount style replacement for my combination Android phone/Zumo XT in the car. I figured out that Google maps are made for a portrait orientated phone, and/or an tablet. In landscape mode, nearly the entire map is blocked by directional banners. I haven't really used it that way yet, but that's how I'll run the phone in the car from now on. I haven't played enough with the Zumo in the car, and will try portrait mode, but BMW's landscape orientation of their OEM cradle will pretty much keep me working the XT in landscape mode on the bike.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They caught up to me today and said there was an error in not charging me shipping and sent me a PayPal request for additional funds.
They have been sending me all sorts of emails saying shipped and tracking. They seem to be a responsible company and do good by their customers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
427 Posts
I just scored a deal on a Garmin XT new and sealed under warranty for $408.95 on eBay. There are a few more and seller has 100% positive rating. Garmin Zumo XT 5.5" All-Terrain Motorcycle GPS Navigation Device 010-02296-00 753759256333 | eBay
I should have the bracket and new XT in a week and be a happy camper. Thanks for all the help/input people!
Well, now that you've purchased it, I'll tell ya what you're missing by choosing this over the NAV6. (Don't ya just HATE people who leave stuff like that out?)

BMW has integrated it's NAV6 with the "whizzy wheel", i.e. multifunctional controls on the left handlebar. If you're expecting that with your new Zumo, you'll be disappointed. All the bracket does is allow you to easily connect power and use the OEM cradle with the Zumo. While the multi-function wheel controls it would be a "nice to have", I can't ever see myself moving down the road on my RT, while playing with that multifunctional wheel. I tried to simply turn on the heated grips and seat, while moving on a clear, empty highway, and it was just too busy for me. That's an accident waiting to happen, IMHO. The Zumo works well with gloved hands, and if you actually figure out how to use it (and don't forget four months later when you use it again), it's easy to stop and enter your inputs using the kiosk-style screen.

Just letting ya know, albeit, slightly late. 🙄

1 - 15 of 15 Posts