BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got up and looked out front and no van. Had to report it stolen. If I didn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. :mad: I'll just have to use my wagon for the time being. Business has been so slow that I can get by with it for a while.

Inside the van was my bicycle, gps, sat. rad., digital camera, handtruck, coats and hats, plus some business inventory in a small box. :(

·
Old Dawg
3,281 Posts
Damn Roger, that really sucks. Do you have a self distruct button you can press and blow the bastards up?

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blow the bastards up? I wish Scotty.:)

Update: About an hour ago I got a call from the state police. He said that they found the van and arrested somebody. He also said that unfortunately the front end was damaged. The perp crashed into a pole at a parking structure at Walnut Ave. Apartments when he was caught.

I just got back from where it was towed at College Oak Towing on Winters Ave. The front is demolished along with the windshield (pictures to follow). Thousands in damage for sure. Inside was most of my stuff still plus a nitestand that I've never seen before. Also he left his cell phone and an unopened Russian cd that said English to Russian.:p

Even with all the damage, it started right up. Plus the airbag didn't go off. You'll wonder why when you see the picks.

Later

·
Some guy on the Interwebs
3,324 Posts
Aw Roger, that really sucks! When he gets sent to prison find out where he is and we will get our LEO/CO folks to spread the word he's a child molester... That'll fix him...

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Prison, HA!
He's probably gonna sleep in his bed at home tonight (if he's not already out ripping someone else off).
Be sure to publish the police report when you get it.
There is Justice eventually, sometimes SHE needs alittle help.

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
Oh that shit will BUFF right out!:histerica

J/K Roger. Hope you come out OK with an insurance fix or a check. I have a digital camera I'm not using anymore if you didn't get yours back.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ted Shred said:
Oh that shit will BUFF right out!:histerica

J/K Roger. Hope you come out OK with an insurance fix or a check. I have a digital camera I'm not using anymore if you didn't get yours back.
I have $1k deductable. It will be $3-5k probably.

Funny you should offer your camera.:p The first digital camera I owned I bought from you in early '06. I had it for my trip back to ME where I was using it in my left hand while riding my LT and it dropped on the road. I went up the road a little bit to find a place to turn around and go back and get it when a dually pickup passed me and ended up crushing it. Then I bought my current one for my new Russian friend to use.:D

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
That sucks but at least you got it back.

My ex-brother-in-law had his car stolen in Detroit (I know what are the chances of that happening!) some years ago and a few weeks later saw a couple of guys driving it on the freeway. They later got arrested for breaking and entering and were using the car for their escapades. My ex-brother-in-law had to go to court and say that he had not 'loaned' his car to these guys.
The car was trashed but by then the insurance company had paid off on it so it didn't matter. Still it had been a really nice clean Camaro. Sad.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that_guy11 said:
That sucks but at least you got it back.

My ex-brother-in-law had his car stolen in Detroit (I know what are the chances of that happening!) some years ago and a few weeks later saw a couple of guys driving it on the freeway. They later got arrested for breaking and entering and were using the car for their escapades. My ex-brother-in-law had to go to court and say that he had not 'loaned' his car to these guys.
The car was trashed but by then the insurance company had paid off on it so it didn't matter. Still it had been a really nice clean Camaro. Sad.
This was not the first time I had a car stolen. The first time was in high school. I had a Mercury 4-door that my dad required me to have as a first car. Lots of metal. Well, during school one day, someone stole it. I got a call a few days later and it was found stuck in the middle of a field. Not damaged much just dirty. Seems they wanted my car to tow a brand new stolen Camaro from a local dealer.:)

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nelson61 said:
Roger glad you have it back..How did they in...fire it up??
I was hoping no one would ask me.:p I left the key inside. I got home late and had groceries. I went out to the van twice. The second time I had both hands full with plastic handles and just closed the sliding door with my shoulder. I had every intention to lock the door from the front kitchen window but I turned on tv first. It was 8:02 and I was missing House. I put all the groceries away and then just sat down in front of the tv.

Then next time I thought about securing the van and locking the doors remotely was at 8:30 in the morning when I looked out front and didn't see the van sitting there. In the next few seconds, I knew immediatly what I had done. A cold shiver went up my spine as I thought of how easy I had made it for someone.

I know, I know.....don't do that.:D

Dam House.

I'm my own worst enemy sometimes

·
Old Dawg
3,281 Posts
RMoore007 said:
It was 8:02 and I was missing House. I put all the groceries away and then just sat down in front of the tv.

Dam House.
Now there is a strong case for owning a DVR :D

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Ted Shred said:
DVR has changed my life:p
My family hasn't watched live TV in years. All 4 TVs have a DVR on them. One question: What's these things called "commercials" I keep hearing about? ;)

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
My family hasn't watched live TV in years. All 4 TVs have a DVR on them. One question: What's these things called "commercials" I keep hearing about? ;)

"Commercials"
Definition;
Those blurred images between all the programs I should not be watching.

·
Registered
14,452 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
Hearing? Keyword, dat. You'll know, without looking, when a commercial blares up on the TV. That 'feature' wears out a remote's volume button faster'n you can say 'buy one, get two'!!! :D

·
Premium Member
8,156 Posts
RMoore007 said:
I was hoping no one would ask me.:p I left the key inside.
Careful there... The perp may get away with stealing your car with just a joyride charge...
Also be sure to document your loss (deductible, missing items, etc...) as you can claim them as a write-off on your 2011 tax return.
Glad you got your van back though...!:)

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Gilles, will do. I can actually use the write-off more than you know.:p

As for the rest of you tv aficionado's, I have rabbit ears with 13 channels. Mostly all HD for free on our 57 inch screen. With Netflix ($8 a month) and sometimes Red Box, I'm not suffering too bad.:D But I do miss having DVR.;)

The last places I've lived, I had the hundreds of channels with premiums and select sports packages too. I really only watched about 20 channels anyway and recorded just a few things. I remember those days of not watching commercials. I liked that the most.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update:

I just got a call from the arresting officer. He just wanted to follow up with me and confirm a couple things. I called it in at 8:30 and later got a call from his office at about 12:00. I told him that I was impressed with the quick recovery. Then he proceeded to tell me that he actally got the guy 39 minutes after I reported it. He thinks it might be a record. He seemed pretty pleased with himself as he should be. He told me the guy tried to get away after he hit his lights. He had to get up close to the van to see if the numbers matched first. Then the guy panicked and hit a pole in an apartment complex. The car thief was on probation. That's why he tried to run. The officer said that he had so much on this guy that he'll be in jail for a long time now. The officer got a nice arrest and I thanked him for the "ultra" quick recovery.:)

I went back to the van today to get a better look and get the rest of my stuff. It appears just cosmetic. The bumper and grill did a great job protecting the radiator. Like I said yesterday, it started right up and sounded normal.

I also told the officer that the felon left his phone, a nitestand, a garden hose and a Russian dvd. The officer thought that was funny cause the guy wasn't Russian.:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts