BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,My 2000 lt has a high pitched noise from 60 to 70 mph sounds like it is coming from the final drive or the transmission. can some one tell me where this sound is coming from?Dale Witzenburg2000 lt

·
Registered
256 Posts
One possibility is the wear pattern on the tires. Does this whine get louder when you go around a curve? If so, it is likely to be a tire wear pattern, and it is normal, may be annoying, but unless you are running down anywhere near the wear bars, it is not dangerous.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This noise is a gear noise when you let off the gas it stops when you give it gas it whines from 60 to 70 mph. then past 70 it is gone.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The lovely "K-Whine" is due to the primary gears being straight-cut. They're a bit noisy and whine and chatter at certain speeds. It's actually a "feature". ;) Fortunately, it's nothing to worry about. Some bikes' primaries are noisier, some quieter, but the noise seems to be the only issue, with no long-term negative effects ... other than aggravation leading to schizophrenia. :wave

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK thanks for the reply, It is to bad that the whine is at a speed that we must stay in some times.most of the time Irun over that speed.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Probably "normal"... My HD had noisy transmissions... so I put it loud pipes...

On the LT, That just makes me know the gears are working...

If someone is local , they could check the sound against other LT's.. otherwise, hard to decipher online.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought my lt used and it has been making this sound from day one. I will just call it my K Turbine. I like the bike and can live with the whine just turn up the tunes and go.

Dale.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts