BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been meaning to do this... I had a million questions before the 12k service and i pretty much knew what i was in for (bend over).

My question... did I pay a fair price?

oil - $20
oIL CHG KIT - $17.50
fuel filter - $19
air filter - $35
oil disposal - $3
synthetic gear oil - $20.50
seal - .50
4 plugs - $15
seal ring - $1
gasket ring $1
brake and parts cleaner - $5.39
LABOR - 12k service - $444
supplies - $5

ABS BRAKE SERVICE***
castrol brake fluid - $8
LABOR - brake bleed - $140
supplies - $3

COOLANT***
antifreeze - $22
Labor - coolant change - $35

TIRES***
ME880 120/70VB-17 - $103
ME880 160/70VB17 - $120
metal valve stems - $12
Labor - tires - $100
supplies/tire dispose - $7

tax - 73.91

TOTAL: $1,211

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
The price seems right, especially since they replaced both tires.
Their tire prices actually are not bad at all. Next time you could bring your wheels off the bike and save a bit on labor (I pay $20.00 to have each tire mounted, balanced, etc...)
If you are mechanically inclined you can do the next 12K service yourself or at a tech session and save a bundle.
Your invoice did not specify if they checked the valve clearance. That alone takes a while. Removing and re-installing the tupperware also takes time, all at the shop hourly rate.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Paid too much for the tire mounting, rest of the prices are not bad. Do it your self and save 444.00. Attend a tech session in your area and you will feel a lot better about tryin your own maintainance.

·
Registered
125 Posts
johnrehder said:
Paid too much for the tire mounting, rest of the prices are not bad. Do it your self and save 444.00. Attend a tech session in your area and you will feel a lot better about tryin your own maintainance.
John,
I agree with you wholeheartedly as far as money saving, but there appears to be a small issue with owner maintained bikes: most everyone who is on the market for a used BMW bike seems to show concern when the regularly scheduled maintenance on the BMW bike was done by the owner and not the dealer. At the very least potential buyers feel that there is room for argument when they try to talk the price down.
I wonder if this board and its members are willing to go out on the limb to spread to the word, that buying a used BMW bike with scheduled maintenance done by the owner is a perfectly good idea.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Steve, I think that with the proper documentation, such as all receipts for parts, and maybe pictures taken during tech sessions, selling an owner maintained bike shouldn't be a problem. Especially if you point out the little details of the maintenance not always followed by the dealer - lubing of the shift linkage comes to mind - as well as all the add-ons we install ourselves.
There is no way I would pay a dealer $550.00 for a set of mounted PIAAs 1100x, and I don't think the buyer will mind who installed them as long as the lights work.
I guess the trick is to keep a journal of all maintenance and keep the invoices in sequence.

·
Registered
826 Posts
The scheduled services required by BMW in order to keep warranties valid are just a ponzi scheme to funnel business back to the company and dealers.

If a potential buyer wants to question a bike's integrity based on whether a dealer did the service or the owner did it they are pretty naive.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I would have more confidence in a bike which the owner did only basic service on than one that the owner trusted a dealer to do all the "required" service on.

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
We've done our own maintenance for years. You wouldn't believe how many times I've ripped into a "dealer serviced" bike and found things that aren't right. Accessory install is one. They don't solder solder, heat shrink, tape and loom. They just slap a Scotch Lock on and call it done. Scotch Lock's DO NOT belong on a bike. They impinge the structural integrity of the wire and allow the elements in. Can you say corrosion?

Also, a dealer won't go the extra mile. If an owner see's something amiss, like a rusted part, frayed wire, etc., he'll fix it.

I'll take an owner maintained bike over a dealer maintained bike any day.

You can always do your own service and then take the bike to the dealer and have it placed on the Moditec.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Agree with all the above.

Did not see any charges for buckets. Did the shop say all valves were in spec ?

·
Registered
369 Posts
KYchris02 said:
My question... did I pay a fair price?
Looks about right to me. You got a great deal on the tires so the extra labor on that piece balances it out. When I came home with my $900 bill for the 24K service (this following the $600 bill for the 18K plus brake/clutch fluid change service 2 months earlier), my wife told me I might have been able to afford to buy the bike but I couldn't afford to keep it, so I've learned to do the service on it - otherwise it was headed right back for sale. It's surprisingly not very difficult, even for a non-mechanically inclined, ham handed, all thumbs, can't remember which way to turn a bolt, bolt dropping/losing machine. So many people do their own that you can usually find someone in your area that will be willing to let you watch them do theirs (and if you're really lucky) will come over and help out with yours. The videos are really good as well and worth buying, even if you only do use them a couple of times. A small investment for the thousands you'll save. But, I still wouldn't try it unless I could watch it done first and knew for a certainty that I was doing it well, too important to get right - your life depends on some of the items being done right. The other option is to take the labor out of the service check by taking off all the body panels and trim - that's where a lot of the labor charge is being generated and you're paying someone a couple of hundred or so just to do very basic screw loosening and tightening. That for sure you can do at home and probably do a better job of it as you'll care about whether or not you put back in all the fasteners.

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Not bad

Locally in Tampa, the charges are about the same. I do most of the basic maintenance myself though and if I need something like the valves checked or the breaks bled, it goes into the shop. I generally strip off the plastic so the bike is bare when they get it and I think they actually prefer it that way. They just don't wash it like they would normally do without the plastic!

As far as buying from an owner who does his own maintenance, in general, you can look at a bike and determine how well it has been taken care of and with receipts, see what was done. Some bikes just look sloppy and not cared for properly. Others look good with everything neat and properly attached. I know this is just visual, but most of the time it works for me.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
murray said:
Agree with all the above.

Did not see any charges for buckets. Did the shop say all valves were in spec ?
They did check the valves and report all within tolerance. I also asked them to inspect and lube the shift linkage. I think the bucket check was in the 12K service $$$.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Is the price right?

The question here is not " Is the price right?" The question is are you willing to pay the price? Most BMW riders will tell you that the first thing you find out is that avid BMW riders do most of their own maintenence. Why? Yes, to save money..but also to be sure the work is done properly. The reason we can do the maintenence is because of a great resource...no , not just the service manual...this web site! You can find out how to do anything on a LT in 30 minutes on this web site! Seriously, just ask a question...in 30 minutes you'll have at least 4 answers...good answers! It's incredible! I bought my LT new in July 2004. Since then I've paid only $ 175 at the dealer to change my brake fluids. That's it. 2.5 years and 30,000 miles. I do all the maintence myself including changing my tires. The next money they'll get from me will be hopefully at 100,000 miles when they have to adjust my valves. So far they have been right on spec when I checked them at 12,000 & 24,000 miles. I promose you ..you can do it too. You will appreceiate your bike more than ever if you invest your time and learned skills into this great machine! Good luck and ENJOY! Ron

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yiks

I've dealt with two different shops, and I'm not real impressed with either one of them, as far as quality of work. And, the fact they like to see how much mula they can extract from one's back pocket. But, that seems to go without saying when dealing with any dealership, car, motorcycle, or other wise. My RS I bought from a private party, and this guy is living my dream. He had vintage BSA bikes in various states of repair. Had all the tooling and work space w/hydrolic lift . etc. So, I felt it was a safe buy, , , and it was. Perfect shape for a 1994 with 30K miles. I recently bought my 03 LT w/11K from a dealer having just completed it's 12K service. Not impressed. I am finding a few things either not done or things loose or tuperware fit not what it should be. And they claim a $2500 US for the work. Wheew :eek: So, I guess what I'm getting at, are there any tech sessions available in the Reno area? I think I am going to learn about doing as much as I can myself. At least the general pm items. . .

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
amen!

Grif is on the money regarding finding dealer mistakes on bikes. Not that all dealers have bad mechanics but any shop is only as good as the worst mechanic that works there. I know at bunch of good BMW wrenchers too!

grifscoots said:
We've done our own maintenance for years. You wouldn't believe how many times I've ripped into a "dealer serviced" bike and found things that aren't right. Accessory install is one. They don't solder solder, heat shrink, tape and loom. They just slap a Scotch Lock on and call it done. Scotch Lock's DO NOT belong on a bike. They impinge the structural integrity of the wire and allow the elements in. Can you say corrosion?

Also, a dealer won't go the extra mile. If an owner see's something amiss, like a rusted part, frayed wire, etc., he'll fix it.

You can always do your own service and then take the bike to the dealer and have it placed on the Moditec.

·
Registered
577 Posts
12K Ouch,

My 12K along with warranty radio replacement done at Max BMW in the Albany area for just over $750. including pick up and return fee of $100. Will be doing more of own service, when i retire and have the time.

1200 is a real ouch

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just to make you feel better my 6K service was £555.54 and my 12K service £772.87-without tyres. I think you guys pay less for the bike new, less for fuel (a lot less), and get cheaper servicing as well!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Billy
Can't see why you had to pay that much. My 6000 service last year was £123 and they are quoting somewhere in the region of £500 for the yearly and 12000 combined.
Changing the subject can anyone tell me what they recomend that the dealer must do for safety reasons?

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have always felt that the dealer's prices for labor and parts were inflated and since I don't know each tech personally, don't trust the work. When I retire the end of this year I will do much of the maintenance myself. My '99 only has 19K on it, so hopefully there are many miles left on it to look forward to.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
grifscoots said:
We've done our own maintenance for years. You wouldn't believe how many times I've ripped into a "dealer serviced" bike and found things that aren't right.
I have to agree with the eh-steamed Grif. I originally bought my LT back in '99 to commute 100 miles/day on, and blew through my first three services in no time. Aside from the frightening expense of them, I began to notice missing screws. The last straw was after my expensive 12K service, my kickstand siezed up from lack of lubrication. And those were just the visible problems. Who knows what corners were being cut where you couldn't see? And this was from a good dealer!

I've done all my own services since, and have over 100K miles on the bike now. I have no rattles, my bike isn't missing any screws and has never broken down. The only major repair was a rear main seal at 85K, which makes the LT more reliable than any car I've owned. I attribute this to BMW engineering, and doing my own maintenance.

It's a shame if prospective buyers are scared off by owner-maintained bikes. However, for my own bike, I couldn't care less. I bought the bike to ride, not to sell.

Regards,
-joel

1 - 20 of 26 Posts