BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watch Roy Gregersen do a brake flush on my 03 a year and a half ago so it was time to do it again. It scared me a bit as he had vacuum from the pump to pull the fluid into the reservoir. And I didn't remember how he did it So with a little pondering I decided to use a bottle with twin outlets to go to the twin vent outlets on the reservoir, I didn't drain the fluid just hooked the lines and added fluid to the bottle. The fluid didn't run down the tubes till I opened, the vent on the reservoir. Started flushing, it worked great, Fluid really goes out fast. When it was all done empty, the fluid from the bottle, took off the hoses, thought I would have fluid coming out of the reservoir caps, but no the fluid came and it was at the same level as when I started.
It went well and was easy.

DON

Attachments

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
So did you flush the wheel circuits too or just the control circuits?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I am getting ready to do this for the first time. I am very interested in all the tips/comments on this procedure. I am sure that after the first time, it will be a piece of cake. Only trouble is, my memory isn't near what it used to be so I will worry about a repeat performance when the time comes and hopefully it will !! :p

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,939 Posts
Boatzo said:
I am getting ready to do this for the first time. I am very interested in all the tips/comments on this procedure. I am sure that after the first time, it will be a piece of cake. Only trouble is, my memory isn't near what it used to be so I will worry about a repeat performance when the time comes and hopefully it will !! :p
Yours is far simpler than the integral brakes. The fluid goes out of the handle bar reservoir, through the ABS unit and out the front calipers. If you have the fill adapter on the right frint still don't even worry about it as most of the fluid will be flushed out the left front. Be sure to push the pistons back to remove all old fluid from the calipers. Insert a spacer to hold them back while you do the flush.

The same for the rear reservoir under the back seat. That fluid goes through the ABS unit and out the rear caliper (two bleed ports).

Should take less than a pint to do it all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts