BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on a project to change the mounting of the mirror assembly to magnets instead of the post and spring clip used stock (different thread). Anyway - I pulled off the mirror to get the assembly apart and thought about installing Muth signal mirrors. My concern with the LED mounting on the back of outside of the mirror, is the range of motion. Currently I adjust my mirror to the extreme bottom outside corner. Does anyone know if the Muth mirror has as much travel?

For me, it would be ideal if the mirror actually had a slight convex shape to lessen the blind spot. I don't want to add the little convex stick on mirror.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Working on a project to change the mounting of the mirror assembly to magnets instead of the post and spring clip used stock (different thread). Anyway - I pulled off the mirror to get the assembly apart and thought about installing Muth signal mirrors. My concern with the LED mounting on the back of outside of the mirror, is the range of motion. Currently I adjust my mirror to the extreme bottom outside corner. Does anyone know if the Muth mirror has as much travel?

For me, it would be ideal if the mirror actually had a slight convex shape to lessen the blind spot. I don't want to add the little convex stick on mirror.
Mine were on it when I bought the bike. On the right mirror it seems limited to the outside bottom corner. But both are somewhat limited to going farther. Not that big a deal for me though.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine were on it when I bought the bike. On the right mirror it seems limited to the outside bottom corner. But both are somewhat limited to going farther. Not that big a deal though.
I don't want to limit it anymore than it is. I already only have real use of the outside half of the mirror because it won't travel out any further than that. I don't want to go to Muth mirrors and find out I don't even get that much.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have the muth mirrors and the LED unit is approx. 3/8" thick. I never seem to have an issue with seeing what I need as I turn the mirror out pretty far too. Since I did not get the original mirrors with the bike when I bought it I can't tell you exactly, so I put the mirror in the farthest downward outside position and measured 1" at the bottom outside corner of the mirror between the front edge of the mirror housing and the face of the mirror glass. That is as far as it goes in and I can feel the LED unit hitting. I can't imagine you need it to go farther than that. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the muth mirrors and the LED unit is approx. 3/8" thick. I never seem to have an issue with seeing what I need as I turn the mirror out pretty far too. Since I did not get the original mirrors with the bike when I bought it I can't tell you exactly, so I put the mirror in the farthest downward outside position and measured 1" at the bottom outside corner of the mirror between the front edge of the mirror housing and the face of the mirror glass. That is as far as it goes in and I can feel the LED unit hitting. I can't imagine you need it to go farther than that. Hope that helps.
Thanks. The measurement is helpful. I will measure mine when I get off work.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have Muth mirrors and they're a great safety item. I would not hesitate getting another pair if I ever replace the LT. The company has excellent customer service. I had a mirror fly off after hitting an expansion joint at speed on an interstate. Muth sent me a replacement at no cost; and I had bought my mirrors over three years earlier.
Back to your question about limited range of motion and rear visibility. I didn't have a problem with the rear visibility, it seems to be good enough and similar to stock. However I did add a pair of Saeng quick scan mirrors to fill in the blindspots.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
I believe that the muth mirrors has the text on both of them that says objects may be closer than they actually are (or something like that). The range of motion should be the same as the oem's.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe that the muth mirrors has the text on both of them that says objects may be closer than they actually are (or something like that). The range of motion should be the same as the oem's.
Would be great if they were convex mirrors. About half my mirror is showing me the rear case. :( Think I will shoot them an email for some clarification. I didn't see anything about that on their listing.

Sounds like folks really like the Muth mirrors. I like they are made in my old home state of WI. :yeah:

·
Registered
787 Posts
+1 on customer service. I had chip in the glass and sent me a new one, no cost or questions asked.

I have Muth mirrors and they're a great safety item. I would not hesitate getting another pair if I ever replace the LT. The company has excellent customer service. I had a mirror fly off after hitting an expansion joint at speed on an interstate. Muth sent me a replacement at no cost; and I had bought my mirrors over three years earlier.
Back to your question about limited range of motion and rear visibility. I didn't have a problem with the rear visibility, it seems to be good enough and similar to stock. However I did add a pair of Saeng quick scan mirrors to fill in the blindspots.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Would be great if they were convex mirrors. About half my mirror is showing me the rear case. :( Think I will shoot them an email for some clarification. I didn't see anything about that on their listing.

Sounds like folks really like the Muth mirrors. I like they are made in my old home state of WI. :yeah:
Yes the Muth mirrors are nice because of the enhanced visibility given by the signals, anything that makes us more visible to the cagers. Even the stock mirrors though don't give the best rear-view, a good number of riders have added the RS mirrors that mount on the handlebars. They really help with the rear-view and they look like they belong on the bike.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Had them on my 00 LT, going to install on my current 02 LT. also had them on my old HD Ultra. Loved them, used to sell and install them.. You can't go wrong . . . Great safety add to any bike or car !

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'm just about ready to pull the trigger. I asked if they offer them in the convex shape to allow more rear viewing angle. If they can do that - they are a major winner! It really is too bad the stock mirrors don't have more outward movement.

EDIT: They just responded to my email: ...our Signal® Mirror kit is manufactured with convex glass.

ORDER PLACED!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts