BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting some awful noise coming from the muffler shield, especially when I the bike is idling on it's side stand. The dealer took a quick look and said there's not much they can do.

I can make it stop if I press by boot against the shield. I'm not mechanically inclined but I wonder if some type of rubber washer at the mounting point might help? Any advice?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Rubber may melt after a while.....why not a couple of fiber or metal washers?

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Gruivis said:
I'm getting some awful noise coming from the muffler shield, especially when I the bike is idling on it's side stand. The dealer took a quick look and said there's not much they can do.

I can make it stop if I press by boot against the shield. I'm not mechanically inclined but I wonder if some type of rubber washer at the mounting point might help? Any advice?
There are a couple of rubber snap in bumpers on the shield that may have disappeared. If you see holes with nothing in them, that is where they were.

Also, we have had quite a few exhaust systems crack where the weld is between the catalytic converter and muffler sections. That makes it rattle pretty badly when the engine is running. That is a re-weld job.

Also check the exhaust support bracket under the transmission. It has a wire "spring" loop that sometimes breaks.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Gruivis said:

Seems that your dealer really took a "quick look". Too quick I would say. I have fixed one rattling muffler shield and that time the there was one screw missing. Sorry I don't have pictures and I don't remember more details but this should be an easy fix. You have to remove at least the passenger footpeg plate to get access to the muffler shield.
If you don't want to do the job yourself, take it back to the dealer and ask them to take a closer look at it...

Regards

1 - 4 of 4 Posts