BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

MSF Experienced Rider Course - NC location

3K views 42 replies 10 participants last post by  Chilkoot_Charlie 
#1 ·
Mitchell Community College in Statesville has ERC's scheduled for Sept. 15 and Nov. 3. I called the Continuing Education dept. today to ask if there were any open spots for the class this Sat. The lady on the phone told me she could tell me without doubt that there were openings, as I was the first person to ask about the class. That being the case, she said they would cancel it. She put my name on the list (I'm first, YAH!) for the Nov. 3 class and promised to call me if there is enough interest.

So, whaddya say? Want to take the ERC on Nov. 3? Class hours are 8:00am to 5:00pm at Mitchell's Front Street location. Cost is $65. Add $5 for the two-up option. Call 704-878-4266 to register. Click http://www.mitchellcc.edu/cec/forms/MotorcyclePacket.pdf for all the info.

#2 ·
I like the Mitchell campus. It's a nice facility and the ERC I taught down there last time went pretty quick. All good coaches, so if you can get guys to go, you;ll have a great time. Would be a great area to incorporate a tech session too, if you could slam one together. That's the weekend of my daughter's birthday, so I can't be there, but I hope you get enough guys to have the class. If you can get at least 6 riders, they MIGHT let you do the class with only one coach. If you can get that kinda interest, call them and see if they'll do that for you.

There are plenty of riders on here that could be there in about an hour. Good luck.

If not, maybe we can try again in spring. I can get an ERC scheduled at Surry (exit 93 off I-77) most anytime, if we can get enough riders.

Randy

#3 ·
Thanks, Randy. Surry isn't too far for me to go. That would be a nice ride, come springtime.

We met at John Bowles' place in July. I didn't work on my bike, due to my son's birthday party being that afternoon, so I understand how various commitments keep a plan from coming together.

#4 ·
I spoke to the administrator who schedules our classes yesterday. I told her I would like to put a couple of ERCs on the schedule in the spring. Spring is a good time to do an ERC - get into the riding season fresh.

If we work it right, we can hold a tech session that day too. We have a great facility and I can probably swing use of the garage for the day too. There are tools there, but we'd probably be better off to bring our own.

As it gets closer, we'll see who all might want to participate. If we have the turnout that John did, we'd almost have our own "mini-rally".

Randy

#5 ·
Lee510 said:
Mitchell Community College in Statesville has ERC's scheduled for Sept. 15 and Nov. 3. I called the Continuing Education dept. today to ask if there were any open spots for the class this Sat. The lady on the phone told me she could tell me without doubt that there were openings, as I was the first person to ask about the class. That being the case, she said they would cancel it. She put my name on the list (I'm first, YAH!) for the Nov. 3 class and promised to call me if there is enough interest.

So, whaddya say? Want to take the ERC on Nov. 3? Class hours are 8:00am to 5:00pm at Mitchell's Front Street location. Cost is $65. Add $5 for the two-up option. Call 704-878-4266 to register. Click http://www.mitchellcc.edu/cec/forms/MotorcyclePacket.pdf for all the info.

I'm going to sign up for this. Hopefully we can get enough to hold a session. tried at Caldwell Community last year with no luck.

#6 ·
Where's Dan Brown? He is in S-ville and may be interested too.

Wish I could join you guys, as the coach or even a rider. Never hurts to learn a little. Although it would be nice if ya'll had an LT rider for a coach, someone that understands the LT a bit better. I'll try to look at my schedule tonight and see who is coaching that class. AFAIK, there are only 2 LT riders in that coaching pool.

Randy

#8 ·
I looked at my schedule. Good news! You have two BMW riding coaches scheduled, one of which at least used to have an LT - may still have it - he trades often. Sam Bass. He's good, quick, and a bit tough on ya. If ya'll can get the half class to go, may want to request him for the coach and that he bring the LT if possible. Just a thought, for when you have to ride the U turn exercises and such, that you can see it being done on an LT.

the other coach is an airhead rider with an older bike that has a zilliion miles on it, if I recall. Great guy too.

Randy

#9 ·
I'd prefer Spring

Since I've never taken the ERC, I'd like to attend.

I don't think I can juggle things to be available on 3-Nov. I'll have to see, but, if we target the spring time, I think we'd get a better turnout.

Let's see how it shakes out.

Joe

#10 ·
Thanks for signing up, John.

Joe, if you can work it in, we'd be halfway there! The weather should still be cooperating in early Nov.

Hope to see you guys in a few weeks.

#13 ·
The prerequisite for the ERC is that you have 6 months or 1000 miles on your current bike. I think most folks here would qualify.... : ) And that's just so you are supposedly familiar with the bike. Also have to have a valid endorsement or learner's permit. This class does not offer the DMV waiver in most cases. Insurance discounts may be available - check with you insurance company.

Bike has to have current inspection and be able to pass a basic pre-ride safety inspection, i.e. tires aired up with tread, lights working properly, etc. No major safety defects. again, I bet most everyone here would pass. Okay my inspection is out, but I'm probably the only one.

I highly recommend this class. Have fun with it and learn a lot. The last exercise is probably the most fun. C-stand scraping fun.

I wish I could be there.
Randy

#15 ·
I tried to register, but...

I was told there will probably be enough participants to hold the class. They took my name & number and said they would contact me if it looks like there will be enough people.

#16 ·
Thanks, Kirk. That's the info I received when I called in early Sept. I was hopeful we could generate enough interest for them to hold the class, but it might not work out.

Rando is an MSF instructor in Surry County and he is looking to put together a class in the spring.

Thanks for making the call.

#17 ·
WE do have two ERCs on the schedule for Spring. March 1 and March 8. But if you are signed up at Mitchell, go ahead with it. Kinda tough spot for me, since I teach at both places and don;t want the ladies at Mitchell mad at me for stealing students. I'll bring up the Surry class again around hte first of the year. If it can work out to fill an ERC with LTers, we can possibly host a tech session on the same day. But the ERCs listed are going to be in the catalog, so may have others there also.

Randy

#18 ·
It is a go!

I just got a call from the school and there will be enough people to hold the class. Woo Hoo. Now, if I can only remember to not cover the clutch & brake with two fingers for the class.

#19 ·
Yes, got the call and I sent my app and payment in. Anyone else here that is interested should do the same to make sure the course is held.

If you have to use more than 2 fingers on the levers, have to always stop with left foot down, have to use the rear brake, I might as well take my F now:D

Heck, I don't even pass the leather gloves requirement.

#20 ·
John (all): Take some sort of glove to ride in. You will have to have: Helmet, eye protection, long sleeves, long pants, over-the-ankle footwear, and gloves. These items do not have to be leather necessarily. Cotton garden gloves are acceptable to most instructors, as are hiking boots or sneakers, if they cover the ankle bone. Glasses or sunglasses are also acceptable. Helmet must be DOT.

Bike must be in good working order, have valid inspection, good tires, lights working, etc. You must have an endorsement or learners permit.

Why would you not stop with left foot down first? I know not everyone does that but why wouldn't you? Did you shift to first on the way to the stop? I'll ask you all that first. : ) Just razzin ya.

Four fingers is pretty subjective in an ERC - some coaches ask you to, some don't. If I see a rider having controll issues, I try to change their method. Most people learning to ride can modulate better with all four, but this an ERC.

And when you get to the last exercise, try to have fun with it. Should be a lot of fun. And let me know how ya'll do on the U-turn box. It's a bear to turn an LT in 20'. The ERC generally uses 28' (green lines at mitchell) to start and 24' (dotted yellow, I think) for final goal, but the 20' lines are out there (solid yellow).

Man, I wish I could come down and watch.

Randy

#21 ·
I'll see you guys at 8 AM then. Who's gonna be there?

I almost forgot to put a good rear tire on. The instructor would have had a heart attack if he'd seen mine. It's good now.

Randy, you know who the instructor is and what we can expect?

#22 ·
I faxed my app and payment last week. Never had the time to get on here and post a message. Life's funny that way.

I got a call from MCC Con Ed Tuesday that the ERC is going on as scheduled. Must report to room 10 at 7:45.

I don't expect to be scraping pegs. Just hope I don't drag my knuckles!
[No drivin', knuckle draggin', (insert favorite adjective here)]!!

See you there!

#23 ·
Hi, John. Was typing while you were posting. I'll be there.

#24 ·
John,

The instructors I saw on the original schedule were Sam Bass (he had an LT - may still - he trades bikes a lot) and Doug Cunningham. Doug rides an older R bike. Not sure exactly which one. Both are great guys. Send them my best. I went thru instructor school with Sam and Doug was one of the first coaches I worked with. If that is who is still scheduled. Sometimes the schedules change. If there are more than 6 students, you should have 2 coaches. Less than 6 may only be one.

They are both great guys and you should have a good time with them. All the exercises should be fun. Might not be a bad idea to make sure the battery is charged good and that the coolant is up. Sitting and idling while waiting in line can be rough on cooling and charging systems. As the owners manual says, you may want to turn the extras off.

the last exercise, multiple radius turns, is the best, in my opinion. Most fun anyway.

Ya'll have a good facility and should have good coaches, so you should have a good time.

Randy

#25 ·
I talked to continuing education at Mitchell CC this morning asking if there were any spots open for the Experienced Rider Course. They currently have six students and one instructor. They told me that if we can come up with at least four more riders they would get another instructor.

If there is any interest please jump in. The class will not be offered again till next spring.

Charlie

#26 · (Edited)
If it doesn't go larger, I have two ERC classes scheduled at Surry Community College in Dobson in March 2008. If possible, we may try to turn it into a tech session also, for those interested in that part.

I just talked to the lead at Mitchell about next year, but I asked him about this weekend. You'll have Joseph Stephens, who happens to be an LT rider, and a member here too, I think. He's a fun guy to work with. At present there are 6 students, so one instructor. I think he's out practicing even as we speak, to give you guys the best class possible. :bmw:

Randy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.