BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my wife has her own bike now, I have been riding one up a lot more. And even though she is just a little thing, barely 100lbs, my gas mileage is now close to 48 pretty consistently.
It is also true I have not been driving as fast as I used to. Just feeling better about going at a more moderate pace (at least until I get to the twisty parts). But that gas mileage is with an average speed of 53 MPH.
I think it's pretty darn good for an 800 lb, ten year old bike with 80k miles and a 180 lb rider.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
While there are a gazillion things that can effect mileage, one up v.s. two up is pretty significant. It's the weight and drag caused by the pillion (not that yours is a drag :dance: ). There, did I dodge that one? Whew!

I get about 42 MPG with my wife on the bike and 48-49+ solo. Even though I ride more aggressively solo than two up. On my recent solo trip to Atlanta, I got 49.97 MPG for the complete trip (calculated by miles logged divided by gallons purchased). In my book, getting more than 40 MPG is good.My old Connie never got more than 39 and it was 200 pounds lighter.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Unfortunately, when considering the fuel savings of riding 1 up over 2 up, if your SO is riding their own bike, you then need to consider the amount of fuel they are using when calculating the trip costs or miles per gallon to get the two of you there....aw screw it, just think about the fun, 'cause isn't that the reason we ride anyway? :rotf: :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
832 Posts
I find that it is not so much one or two up but, speed as the big factor in mpg results.
When you start driving that bike up towards 80 or so the mpg hits the basement.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I agree about the speed being a major factor rather than 2 up. Everything contributes, but I find the faster I push it the worse the MPG. My 2 cents ;)

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
I had a little three-day "two-wheeled therapy" escape this last weekend.

One 150-mile stretch I "only" averaged 34.6 mpg.

Of course, my average speed for that 150 miles was GPS-indicated and verified 105 MPH, so I'm not really complaining.

Could I have slowed down and seen every damn cactus in Western Texas (and, well, nothing else) and seen 44 MPG at 60 MPH and saved, uh, about $4? Yeah, I guess. But what the hell fun is that?

wink

·
Registered
104 Posts
petevandyke said:
I had a little three-day "two-wheeled therapy" escape this last weekend.

One 150-mile stretch I "only" averaged 34.6 mpg.

Of course, my average speed for that 150 miles was GPS-indicated and verified 105 MPH, so I'm not really complaining.

Could I have slowed down and seen every damn cactus in Western Texas (and, well, nothing else) and seen 44 MPG at 60 MPH and saved, uh, about $4? Yeah, I guess. But what the hell fun is that?

wink
I'm the same way, brother.
The best I can report is about 35MPG, but I average 80MPH.

:bmw: 2004 K 1200LT Black

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Monday afternoon I had the chance to drive in the drizzle from Miami back to Orlando.

I kept a steady pace of 65 MPH for 3.5 hours.

I was shocked to see that I got 52 MPG for this trip!

a lot better than the 40mpg I got for the way down with a much higher average speed...

·
Registered
349 Posts
And even though she is just a little thing, barely 100lbs, my gas mileage is now close to 48 pretty consistently.
I get 47.6 - 48.2 very consistently riding solo, and 44-46 with the wife on the bike, and she's only 112 pounds. She also makes the back end wallow a lot more if I forget the preload. I make a lot of "fat butt" jokes. It's safe at her size. I figure the MPG must be the wind load, she's pretty tall.

·
Premium Member
7,825 Posts
I check my mileage at every fill-up. I cannot break 40 mpg riding solo (mostly commuting, mix of local roads and interstate, max speed 70 mph). Strangely, I get about 2 more mpg when I ride two-up; I attribute that to riding a little less aggressively when my wife is aboard.

Another thing that affected my mileage was installing large auxiliary lights (Hella FF200s) beneath the mirrors. They are out there in the slipstream and made a 10% difference the day I installed them, and going forward.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I never got over 40mpg out of my LT. It simply WOULD NOT run the speed limit. It was just too much fun.................... :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts