BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a question, was wondering what others have discovered for optimal fuel economy. I seem to think I get the best around 60-65mph, but that is a little slow for some highways, I like to ride with the speed of the surrounding traffic, maybe just a little faster. Just looking for other opinions.
Thad

·
Registered
190 Posts
I drove from Florida to New Jersey 2 weeks ago in one sitting averaging 70-100 mph and got a rewarding 52 average mpg. Just gotta keep your head down :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I would say the best compromise for me is 65-70mph. Real, not that lousi number we see on the display. GPS accurated.
At this speed, 2 up plus gear, I can do more then 47, less then 51 mpg

·
Registered
190 Posts
Well, the speed inaccuracy I can say is a valid point. That was taken from the BC on the bike. The MPG though, was verified from my gas receipts. Was very pleased to say the least. :yeah:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Cruising Speed

65-70 as per GPS. 50/52 MPG at that range. Above 70 the MPG starts to drop drastically. (That's since I put in the RW chip and Remus exhaust. Prior to that my best ever was about 48 MPG.)

Oh yeah, the BC consistently read 5/6 MPG lower than I was getting by measuring input against miles traveled at each stop.

BTW, at 65 mph on the GPS my speedo reads 70 mph.

·
Registered
461 Posts
60 mph one up with gear about 46 mpg

80 mph loaded the same, about 37 mpg

Gas mileage dropped drastically after the 12K, and has never been the same since.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Last spring I went on the longest ride ever! Not in distance - in frustration. The ride went from Mentor, Ohio to Mansfield, Ohio. There were 26 motorcycles on the ride...mostly cruisers - mostly Harleys. There were some VERY inexperienced riders. One girl on a Hodamatic had only been riding for 2 months (and those two months were winter months). I almost rode over the top of so many other bikes in the turns that I finally dropped to the end of the pack and stayed about 100 yards behind the last in line. People would get into a moderate turn, one that I'd take easily at 40 mph, and suddenly brake almost to a stop right in the middle of the turn where an experienced rider should be accelerating! We never ever approached any sort of speed limit except for short bursts during the couple of stretches on interstates. The ride went through the downtown middle of several cities, and many residential areas - lots of stop-and-go traffic. End result is that I got 59.6 miles per gallon! The best ever. I usually get 52 doing 5 over the limit. I check every fill-up (always right to the bottom of the filler neck of the tank) by dividing the miles driven by the gas pumped.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just got in from (Hurricane hopping) Biketoberfest jaunt (yesterday now), Friday 9AM and can say at an honest, GPS measured speed of 80-85MPH, 1 up with 30lbs of gear I got btw 37-39MPG on I-75. At 55-60 and in town (SR40 and A1A) got 46MPG (at the same speed on this leg of the trip my buddies new 05' 1200 Sportster got 56MPG) On the first LegFt Myers to Ocala I-75, I got 42MPG at mostly 70mph/3750rpm. I had the 05' trip computer fixed on Wed. before I left so it was finally working however at a slightly more optomistic rate, about 2-4mpg higher than tank fills. Gulf Coast BMW/Triumph did the Warranty repair even though I was at 41,000 miles approximately, as they should have considering BMW just recently figured out their error. Can't thank them enough. VERY GOOD PEOPLE TO WORK WITH!! I would like to recommend them to all our northern and Western friends looking for a buy. Miami and east coast Floridians might be interested too. Sean, in service, works on the LT's and seems to have a knack for getting things right the first time. Wish I could get endofthenet's milage, head down or otherwise! My best was on a trip in the Keys I got about 56MPG at 45-55MPH 2 up and loaded down nasty. Oh, and by the way, another flawless ride on an LT! Imagine that!

·
Registered
284 Posts
mileage

for what its worth

just rode to daytona from north of atlanta, then to ironhorse in North Carolina, then back home.....
using only bp premium (amoco) and cruising typically around 10 mph over the speed limit, hauling all my junk and my harley buddies junk that wouldnt fit on his harley.....on the 1411 miles i averaged 47.8 mpg as calculated based on miles ridden and gas pumped....

interestingly the LT needed about .3 gallons less per stop as did the 03 heritage softail classic.....which was surprising to me (would've thought it would have been more of a difference)

the harley guy DID get much less mpbp however (miles per butt pain) ;)

i have been doing some comparison between fuel makers and usually when running chevron premium i get my best mileage which is between 49 and 52 on a daily commute of 90 miles total with about half interestate and half back roads.....

kip
99 champagne LT

·
Registered
77 Posts
When drafting?

daddyo said:
Just a question, was wondering what others have discovered for optimal fuel economy. I seem to think I get the best around 60-65mph, but that is a little slow for some highways, I like to ride with the speed of the surrounding traffic, maybe just a little faster. Just looking for other opinions.
Thad
Reading the responses to date, I see there is a concept lacking, that of "drafting." Well, not drafting as done in NASCAR but at about 1 1/2 seconds (not close enough to keep others from cutting into the gap you are trying to keep) behind a vehicle, I can see a 7 to 10% increase in fuel milage at 70 to 75 mph. At these distances, least turbulence is felt behind sedans and pickups, full size vans and SUVs are worse, buses and full semis the worst for turbuelence.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Fuel Mileage

In October of 2004 I rode the CCC-100 (coast to coast to coast) Iron Butt from Jacksonville to San Diego and back. I ran 82 mph most of the time with the cruise control on. Single rider with gear for the trip. The following were my averages:

Daily Mileage: 1,235.5
Hours Riding: 17:38:30
Hours Down @Night: 6:31:20
Hours Sleeping: 5:01:20
Miles Per Hour: 70.2
Fuel Mileage: 44.6

My totals:

Total Mileage: 4,952
Total CCC-100 Time: 82 hours 41 minutes
Total 2X CC-50 Time: 90 hours 8 minutes

The 70.2 mph average is due to traffic on I-10 with the bridge down in Fl and Houston rush hour and other stops for fuel. I fueled every 3 hours on the top of the hour. Mileage ranged from 35.1 to 54.4 depending on where I was and my speed. I can consistantly get 50 plus out of the bike if I stay below 70. By the way, this is a 99' model with 35K miles on it.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
One thing that can have a major effect on mileage is how high you have the windshield. When it's full-up, the coefficient of drag goes up. Higher CD, more power required to push the bike through the air.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello to you all. I have only just picked up my Fist Lt one week ago. It is a brand new bike but a 2004 Model so I am still running it in. My Wife and I went for a 723Klm round trip on the weekend Average speed was 100Klm per hour thats 60Mph. I use 98 Octane rating fuel and returned 54 miles per gal. That was worked out by actual distance travelled and quantity of fuel pumped at the bowser. The BC said 5.3 ltr per 100klm I think that works out to around 50mpg

Nick

·
Registered
558 Posts
My mileage seems to start down about 75 on the speedometer. Until then on level roads it runs in the 55-60 range. That is with a 3.5% error on the odometer. I did get up to 67.8 a couple of times with it in the mountains at around 60 but I expect that was more because of the altitude than the speed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I find that, along with speed, my windshield position affects my mileage. Coming across Oregon after CCR on US84 I started the day with it up because it was cold and was getting 45 mpg. Later with it down the mileage went up to 51. I was running about 80 on the speedometer, a true 74. I had a chip and Remus installed at CCR so I was particularly curious to see the results. Luggage and rider weighed about 220 total.

I ride with the stock top box removed and a smaller Pellican case in its place. Losing that drag might help some, too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
mileage

I have a 1999 lt. I bought it about 4 months ago and believe it or not was getting 55-56 mpg at 70 mph. that's two up. I've got 60 mpg solo. It had 56k for miles on it. I've got 59k now and I'm only getting about 45 mph at best. I The weather has cooled off now. I'm getting all this according to my on board computer.
I've heard that if the valves need adjusted that poorer mpg could be a symptom of this. Any advice?

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
daddyo said:
Just a question, was wondering what others have discovered for optimal fuel economy.
42 Miles per hour

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
belga1976 said:
to the grocery store?
Heck yea, but it's best twisty roads you can ride around here to get there!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts