BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone...

A short question on gas mileage.
Perhaps my style of driving has change some, but not that big of a change to increase gas consumption....

I ride a 1200kLT 2003 with 113000 miles. Runs great but in the last few thousand miles, the MPG went down from 44MPG to 38MPG.
Should i replace the pugs. Only 8000 miles on them...
Should i replace the air filter??? 8000 miles on it?
Should I replace the oxygen sensor....I was told that either it work or it doesn't??
any other issues i should look into??

Any ideas or recommendations as to what could be the cause would be welcome.
Thank you.

Jean-Noel

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
If you are using the same fuel I would look at the O2 sensor as that will have a great effect on MPG. usually we see it go from the high 40's to the low 30's when it does go bad. Napa part BSH15109 has the correct connector.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
I've noticed that the computer on my '03 is giving me bad MPG readings.....I't off between 5-6 MPG, Is this fixable? does a reboot of computer remedy?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
I've noticed that the computer on my '03 is giving me bad MPG readings.....I't off between 5-6 MPG, Is this fixable? does a reboot of computer remedy?
Ask and ye shall receive:

Yes. The procedure is as follows (thanks to Paul Ford):
To adjust the MPG readout on the BC, do the following:

1) Divide the displayed MPG value by the actual MPG value, then multiply by 1000. For example, 48 MPG divided by 55 MPG = 0.872 x 1000 = 872. Remember this number. (Editor's note: You might want to run a few tanks through resetting the BC only on the first tank but measuring actual MPG by hand for each tank to get a good average.)

2) Press the reset and mode buttons on the BC simultaneously, then release. (Editor's note: do this with the ignition ON.) The BC will display '01'.

3) Use the BC button on the right hand control switch to scroll through the four test screens. Stop when '03' is displayed and then press the reset button. WARNING: Watch the screen carefully at this point! As soon as you press 'reset', look for the very first number displayed. This is the current MPG calibration factor but it's only displayed for a second before the number starts to count up. The OEM setting is usually 1000 (no calibration) but it might not be and you may wish to return to the original number if you're not happy with the results of this exercise. The number will begin to scroll, starting with the current setting, up to 1250. It will then begin again at 750 and continue up. When this number reaches the number closest to the number that you remembered from step 1), press the reset button again. That will reset the calibration factor for your display.

The other three test screens will not do anything.

Note this only works on 99-2004 BCs.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts

1) Divide the displayed MPG value by the actual MPG value, then multiply by 1000. For example, 48 MPG divided by 55 MPG = 0.872 x 1000 = 872. Remember this number. (Editor's note: You might want to run a few tanks through resetting the BC only on the first tank but measuring actual MPG by hand for each tank to get a good average.)

2) Press the reset and mode buttons on the BC simultaneously, then release. (Editor's note: do this with the ignition ON.) The BC will display '01'.

3) Use the BC button on the right hand control switch to scroll through the four test screens. Stop when '03' is displayed and then press the reset button. WARNING: Watch the screen carefully at this point! As soon as you press 'reset', look for the very first number displayed. This is the current MPG calibration factor but it's only displayed for a second before the number starts to count up. The OEM setting is usually 1000 (no calibration) but it might not be and you may wish to return to the original number if you're not happy with the results of this exercise. The number will begin to scroll, starting with the current setting, up to 1250. It will then begin again at 750 and continue up. When this number reaches the number closest to the number that you remembered from step 1), press the reset button again. That will reset the calibration factor for your display.

Is there a similar procedure for the later models? Fortunately, my LT cam pretty well calibrated from the factory. It is within 1 MPG of calculated and reads on the low side. I often will have 47 MPG on the computer for a tank and when I add the data to my spreadsheet I generally get something in the 47.5 to 48.5 range. So, not bad.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
Nope. We do not have an independent "reset" button or it might work. You just hold the BC mode button to perform a reset, kind of negates holding the mode button while you press reset.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts

Thanks John.......Got a tank full on board now but once that's gone I'll give your formula/reboot a try......I had already checked the actual MPG several times and it was between 47 to 47.7 and even with a reset of MPG it read around 41.5

1 - 7 of 7 Posts