BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02 LT from 1 fill up to the next I went from 45 mpg to 24 mpg and it is missing some low end get up and go. Any ideas where to start? O2 sensor? I don't know where to start. Thanks Jim

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I have a 02 LT from 1 fill up to the next I went from 45 mpg to 24 mpg and it is missing some low end get up and go. Any ideas where to start? O2 sensor? I don't know where to start. Thanks Jim
Sure sounds like O2 sensor. Not terribly difficult to change.

Robert

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,246 Posts
With out a read out from a GS-911 the O2 sensor is the logical choice as it will cause just what you have described.

·
Registered
211 Posts
What makes these sensors go bad?

I replaced mine but mpg didn't go up.
32mpg since I bought it used.
2000, with a 2002 motor.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My vent line to the canister was partially clogged when my fuel milage dropped. It was near the tank the first time. Had water in it near the back the second time

·
Registered
329 Posts
Have you done a Motronic reset?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Search it on this forum. You turn on the key (do not start the bike) fully open and close the throttle three times within 10 seconds, turn key off. It resets the ECU.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
Search it on this forum. You turn on the key (do not start the bike) fully open and close the throttle three times within 10 seconds, turn key off. It resets the ECU.
Of course, you will need to either disconnect the battery or pull the ecu fuse for approximately 15 minutes before performing the reset.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I noticed my 02' was getting around 25 mpg and had a hesitation at takeoff. I thought it was primarily when it was warm as I didn't notice it as much in the morning and it is usually over 80*F when I rode home in the afternoon. I cut the brown wire and it helped some but not completely. I changed out the O2 sensor and spark plugs and reset the throttle position sensor and that seemed to increase the MPG to around 30-35 with no change in hesitation. Finally I looked in the gas tank and turned on the key and saw the rolling gas. I just pulled the fuel pump and replaced the fuel lines inside the tank and the lines going from the tank to the quick connect and that resolved all the hesitation issue. I haven't been through a tank yet so I don't know if it helped the mpg or not but I'll find out this weekend.
If you find that you have a hole in the fuel line you can remove the fuel pump assembly without removing the gas tank. If you need to replace your air filter then just do them both now and remove the gas tank. To remove the fuel pump assembly just pull the right side fairings off, and then the two bolts that hold the crash bar frame off and it'll give you room to pull it out. I would also just buy a piece of 5/16 submersible Fuel Injection rated hose SAE 30R10 hose, a pump screen and fuel filter from NAPA or other parts store and a unicoil if you can find one. The OEM parts are around $60 for the two hoses and the hose from the auto parts store is around $30 per foot. Also make sure you buy fuel injection clamps not regular worm gear clamps.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
I noticed my 02' was getting around 25 mpg and had a hesitation at takeoff. I thought it was primarily when it was warm as I didn't notice it as much in the morning and it is usually over 80*F when I rode home in the afternoon. I cut the brown wire and it helped some but not completely. I changed out the O2 sensor and spark plugs and reset the throttle position sensor and that seemed to increase the MPG to around 30-35 with no change in hesitation. Finally I looked in the gas tank and turned on the key and saw the rolling gas. I just pulled the fuel pump and replaced the fuel lines inside the tank and the lines going from the tank to the quick connect and that resolved all the hesitation issue. I haven't been through a tank yet so I don't know if it helped the mpg or not but I'll find out this weekend.
If you find that you have a hole in the fuel line you can remove the fuel pump assembly without removing the gas tank. If you need to replace your air filter then just do them both now and remove the gas tank. To remove the fuel pump assembly just pull the right side fairings off, and then the two bolts that hold the crash bar frame off and it'll give you room to pull it out. I would also just buy a piece of 5/16 submersible Fuel Injection rated hose SAE 30R10 hose, a pump screen and fuel filter from NAPA or other parts store and a unicoil if you can find one. The OEM parts are around $60 for the two hoses and the hose from the auto parts store is around $30 per foot. Also make sure you buy fuel injection clamps not regular worm gear clamps.
There is what I believe is a pretty good option for the internal flexible fuel hoses from Euro Motorelectrics. It is Nylon line and will not degrade over time from fuel or ethanol and it is less expensive than the rubber submersible line plus comes with clamps. EME also markets these on Amazon.

EnDuraLast - K Fuel Pump Hose Kit

·
Registered
183 Posts
There is what I believe is a pretty good option for the internal flexible fuel hoses from Euro Motorelectrics. It is Nylon line and will not degrade over time from fuel or ethanol and it is less expensive than the rubber submersible line plus comes with clamps. EME also markets these on Amazon.

EnDuraLast - K Fuel Pump Hose Kit
I agree, had I had time I would of ordered the Nylon line from there or Beemer Boneyard and never thought about those lines again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts