BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if gas mileage is suppose to be better or worse after canisterectomy??
My mileage has been around 45-50. Last year I was getting in the mid 50's. All services have been done, and had the dealer check on the computer. he said everything is running fine. Just wondering???? Thanks for ur help.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
mchammer717 said:
Can anyone tell me if gas mileage is suppose to be better or worse after canisterectomy??
My mileage has been around 45-50. Last year I was getting in the mid 50's. All services have been done, and had the dealer check on the computer. he said everything is running fine. Just wondering???? Thanks for ur help.
Canister removal will not affect gas mileage.
It is possible to have a vacuum leak after canister removal but that would probably cause other symptoms depending on severity of the leak.
A very slight air leak might affect gas mileage without other symptoms.

Many folks when doing a cannister removal simply plug the hose that runs from the throttle bodies to the canister under the seat. A better approach that removes a number of points of possible vacuum leaks is to remove plastic from the left side of the bike to get to the throttle bodies. There you can remove the solenoid that opens vacuum to the cannister. Disconnect the electrical plug and remove that solenoid. Tape off the electical plug and secure it to the fuel rail or somewhere nearby. Remove the hose that fed the solenoid, this involves removing a "T" from the vacuum lines and reconnecting the vacuum lines that bridge the throttle bodies. This would be a good time to check those hoses for cracks or looseness.

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
My mileage in Florida seems to always average around 40 - 43 MPG. Sometimes on trips up north and the highway it will climb up a little but I don't think it has ever been to 50+ that I occasionally read about. Maybe I'm not drifting down hill as much!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
DanDiver said:
My mileage in Florida seems to always average around 40 - 43 MPG. Sometimes on trips up north and the highway it will climb up a little but I don't think it has ever been to 50+ that I occasionally read about. Maybe I'm not drifting down hill as much!
Dan, what's your average speed?

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Lots of riding around town weekly; stop and go average probably 25-40MPH 40+ miles a day and longer trips on weekends averaging maybe 60 65 70 MPH.... I really don't ride fast and I'm easy on the gears. I know that many say to ride it like you stole it, but that's not my nature. I do love the sound when it get above 4,000 RPMs....

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
DanDiver said:
Lots of riding around town weekly; stop and go average probably 25-40MPH 40+ miles a day and longer trips on weekends averaging maybe 60 65 70 MPH.... I really don't ride fast and I'm easy on the gears. I know that many say to ride it like you stole it, but that's not my nature. I do love the sound when it get above 4,000 RPMs....
Yep, it sounds very sporty and cool when the rpms go above 4k.
So, I take it you don't have a computer on board.
My average speed of late, around town and road, is 53 according to my computer, and my average gas mileage has been close to 48.

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
gpolakow said:
Yep, it sounds very sporty and cool when the rpms go above 4k.
So, I take it you don't have a computer on board.
My average speed of late, around town and road, is 53 according to my computer, and my average gas mileage has been close to 48.
I've got the computer, but really don't trust it to give an accurate MPG reeding. I generally go about 200 miles between fill up and add about 5 gallons. Pretty simple to figure. The on board computer is always reading 45+ bit I really don't think that is correct. Speed ( as per GPS) and average speed are correct though.

Not really a concern though. The COST of tires makes the saving on gas irrelevant!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I find the trip computer to be accurate for gas mileage. Last week riding 2 up on some twisty roads and revving high the compuer showed 45 mpg. The strange part is the drop in mileage from there on the highway and using the cruise control.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
mchammer717 said:

IMHO, if your canister was clogged and not functioning properly, it would probably affect the MPG. If all was normal and you just did the ectomy (properly of course) it should make no noticable difference. :)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,260 Posts
That change sounds about right for added ethanol in the fuel. But to echo the others a canisterectomy should not change your gas mileage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts