BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anyone has had the top case and passenger backrest moved back in order to allow the passenger more room. Dealer suggested that I let them do it and that's fine with me. Does anyone know how much additional room this will provide? Also, I suppose it would make the top case hang over the back of the bike a bit. How does this look? Thanks.

Ray

·
Registered
654 Posts
When I have my topcase on, it's always in the rearmost position. I would guess it gives the passenger an extra 1 – 1 ½ inches. My wife said it is a big improvement.

Moving it back is very easy and can be done in just a few minutes. You have to take the rear seat off to unplug the connectors to the topcase. Then remove the topcase liner to access the mounting bolts. When they are removed, move the topcase away temporarily. Move the 4 bolts on the black plastic to the now empty topcase holes and then put the case back reversing the procedure. The only tricky bit is unhooking the latches that hold the liner in. It’s a piece of cake.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
Very easy and only takes a few minutes.
- Open the trunk lid, remove the thumb screw on the left side where the retaining belt is. Then remove the retaining belt by sliding it to the left side and gently let it retract.
- Next remove the trunk liner. Underneath you will find 4 screws. Remove these 4 screws and move the trunk back a bit until you line up with the second set of screw holes. Insert and tighten your 4 screws.
- Re-install the trunk liner, re-attach the retaining belt and put the thumb screw back on... et voila! The extra inch the Missus wanted from you!:D

Note: when re-installing the trunk liner use a flat blade screwdriver to help the tabs by the locking mechanism in.

The bike won't look much different but be careful when parallel parking as it is now longer...!:D

·
Registered
493 Posts
zaphod said:
When I have my topcase on, it's always in the rearmost position. I would guess it gives the passenger an extra 1 – 1 ½ inches. My wife said it is a big improvement.
And (passing a tip along) that extra 1.5 inches makes a great place to stuff a half cover or anything else you need handy. Thanks to Ken Meese for the handy tip. This is much easier than the stuff sack and storing it in my side cases. I've also got my Strap 'n Go's in there.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
zippy_gg said:
Very easy and only takes a few minutes.
- Open the trunk lid, remove the thumb screw on the left side where the retaining belt is. Then remove the retaining belt by sliding it to the left side and gently let it retract.
- Next remove the trunk liner. Underneath you will find 4 screws. Remove these 4 screws and move the trunk back a bit until you line up with the second set of screw holes. Insert and tighten your 4 screws.
- Re-install the trunk liner, re-attach the retaining belt and put the thumb screw back on... et voila! The extra inch the Missus wanted from you!:D

Note: when re-installing the trunk liner use a flat blade screwdriver to help the tabs by the locking mechanism in.

The bike won't look much different but be careful when parallel parking as it is now longer...!:D
The above information is right on the mark with one aditional step,
after you've removed the four bolts inside the trunk,
tip the trunk forward and you'll see four more allen bolts,
remove them (one at a time) and move them to the adjoining hole,
the trunk will then bolt into the holes you've vacated.
And don't bother with removing the rear seat and unplugging, it's not nescesary.

·
Registered
654 Posts
SilverBuffalo said:
And don't bother with removing the rear seat and unplugging, it's not nescesary.
Not necessary, but it keeps you from doing a juggling act with the topcase while you move the 4 bolts.

·
Rider Journeyman
2,015 Posts
One more tip. The bottom of the case is a liner, essentially, a plasitic bucket. It is held inside the thick outer plastic by a strip of velcro in the back (between the hinges), parallel to the rim about an inch below and two plastic tabs near the metal locking hooks above the handle.

To loosen the back of the liner, use your fingers and pull firmly, but gently to separate the velcro. Then lift it up just a bit, maybe an inch and release it.

The front part, slide a flat screw driver down the little openings and very gently press the plastic tabs toward the center while gently applying upward pressure. Repeat on the remaining side.

Then pull the bucket out. Don't be afraid of the task. You're going to have to learn to do it eventually. Even if you break a tab, it's not the end of the world.....Besides, the dealer probably will break the the tab and not mention it ;)

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Arby60 said:
I wonder if anyone has had the top case and passenger backrest moved back in order to allow the passenger more room. Dealer suggested that I let them do it and that's fine with me. Does anyone know how much additional room this will provide? Also, I suppose it would make the top case hang over the back of the bike a bit. How does this look? Thanks.

Ray
Ray - take a look at the scoot pictured in this post. I think the trunk is in the rearmost position. HTH.

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
Good catch, Dick. His trunk is in the rear position. In the factory position the lower edge of the trunk lines up with the back edge of the saddlebags.

Mine has been in the back from day one. Unless I'm riding solo, then it comes off entirely.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Arby60 said:

Ray
Here's a mod that will give you the "stretch limo" version. 2 inches versus 1.

Amy likes it especially when she is wearing cold weather gear - and she is all of 5' 5" and 120 lbs...

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=K1200LT&Number=244215&Search=true&Forum=K1200LT&Words=extra%20inch&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=244215

One word of caution - do not use nylon spacers - use only metal. The nylon will dessicate and crack over time, voice of experience here. ;)

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I did mine with little problem and my mechanical skills could be best described as sub-par.

As far as looks go, it looks just fine

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Here's hoping you woke with a sense of humor this morning

rixchard said:
I did mine with little problem and my mechanical skills could be best described as sub-par.

As far as looks go, it looks just fine
Wow, in this post you sound almost...uh... humble

who are you and what have you done with our "real" Rixchard :D :D

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
BillyOmaha said:
------------The front part, slide a flat screw driver down the little openings and very gently press the plastic tabs toward the center while gently applying upward pressure. Repeat on the remaining side.----------------------------
I would call that the rear, but know what you mean. Actually you have to press the plastic lugs toward you (the rear of the bike), not toward the center to unclip them.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Humble? Never! Aware of my own deficiencies (however few they may be)? Always! :)

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Arby60 said:

Ray
Hi Ray,

I have done the mod Ron Miller described (moving the trunk back further from factory rear position). This was very useful and now I have storage space behind the rear seat for all my rain gear + umbrella :p . I also moved the passenger backrest upwards 13 mm in order to get better access to this new storage when the trunk lid is in open position.

Here are two pics of the bike (taken at Blue Moon service session at CCR 06) , which might give you the impression whether the bike looks get spoiled or not...The third one shows the backrest in raised position. I nowadays have a black vinyl cover between the seat and the backrest and that prevents the stuff from pressing out from the storage.

Regards

Attachments

·
Rider Journeyman
2,015 Posts
dshealey said:
I would call that the rear, but know what you mean. Actually you have to press the plastic lugs toward you (the rear of the bike), not toward the center to unclip them.
Thanks David,

I should have gone out to the bike and confirmed before describing from what's left of my memory:confused:.....but the bike is 2,000 miles away
:histerica

1 - 16 of 16 Posts