BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read in the manual that the top box can be moved either way. They suggest BMW do the adjustment??? Mine may already have been moved. Has anyone done this and what is involved? I just looked underneath but can't see anything obvious to adjust.
Thanks IMG_0274.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
From the repair manual. It would be interesting to see what it looks like!

Note:
The backrest can be adjusted by shifting the top
case to either the front or rear position.
Adjust by swapping the anchorages for cover of rear
carrier (5) and top case.
Always use the long screws to secure the top case.
Additional instructions for moving the backrest
• Remove four screws (4) for cover of rear
carrier (5).
• Move the four screws (4) for the rear carrier cover
forwards.
• Use long fasteners to secure the top case in its
new position.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I read in the manual that the top box can be moved either way. They suggest BMW do the adjustment??? Mine may already have been moved. Has anyone done this and what is involved? I just looked underneath but can't see anything obvious to adjust.
Thanks View attachment 118233

Flush with the bags is stock position. About 1" to the rear is the rear position.

Robert

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Below your post, near bottom of page, is a Similar Thread box - click on the bottom one and you'll find instructions. HTH.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Your pic looks to be in the forward position. So it can be moved to the rear position.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Open the top box. Remove the liner. There are 4 bolts and 8 holes. Move the case back and reinstall the bolts in the other set of holes. Reinstall the liner. If you search, you will find some who have made extensions to move it back further.

Reactions: dlafoy and MarkSSL

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Open the top box. Remove the liner. There are 4 bolts and 8 holes. Move the case back and reinstall the bolts in the other set of holes. Reinstall the liner. If you search, you will find some who have made extensions to move it back further.

Thanks I'll have a look. Are there only 2 positions for the box? Unless I make extensions.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
So is mine as far back as it will go do you think looking at my pic?

Mark, if the picture in the first post is yours and the second post is someone elses stating that it seems to be flush, yours, the red one is back as far as it goes without modifications. The flush one is forward as far as it goes without modifications. So your red one is back as far as it goes already. I moved mine back also to make more room for my pillion.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mark, if the picture in the first post is yours and the second post is someone elses stating that it seems to be flush, yours, the red one is back as far as it goes without modifications. The flush one is forward as far as it goes without modifications. So your red one is back as far as it goes already. I moved mine back also to make more room for my pillion.

Yes mine is the red one. The other was just some random pic showing it flush. I'll get the drill out then!!!

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Yes mine is the red one. The other was just some random pic showing it flush. I'll get the drill out then!!!

Good luck. It may be more difficult that just a drill but you will find that out once you get the box off to start making some new holes. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts