BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After careful consideration and plenty of research, I've decided to switch bikes. I'm giving up my 2009 K1200LT and going to a 2012 Victory Cross Country Tour. Nothing against the performance of the LT. It is a very nice bike and, as far as I'm concerned, it is the king of long distance touring. I just wasn't very comfortable with it. I really didn't like taking it on short trips or riding it in stop and go traffic. Although I never dropped her and came close only once. (Looking at a lady jogging while rolling up to a stop light and forgot to put my feet down...I'm a man, OK). It was still on my mind each time I rode it and it is big and top heavy. As I said, nothing against the bike, just not the bike for me. Each time I would go to the BMW dealer in the Indy area I would find myself wandering over to the Victory side of the store. So I decided to take one out for a spin and I just fell in love with it. I owned a cruiser before and that is really what I'm most comfortable with. The Cross Country Tour has most of the amenities I've come to enjoy on the LT, heated seats and grips, cruise control, stereo and an iPod, iPhone interface. The handling is surprisingly nimble and it has a very smooth ride. I looked at the Triumphs and test rode the Harley-Davidson Street Glide, Road Glide Custom and Road Glide ultra. Didn't really care for the Triumphs and the Harleys didn't have the handling or the ride of the Victory. Another big decision maker was the dealer, Falcone Power Sports in Indianapolis. My wife and I bought our BMW's from them and they are by far the best dealer I've ever done business with. If you're ever in the area and need parts or service, I highly recommend them.
So, I'm still in the saddle, just on another horse. My wife still has her F800ST and has no plans to get rid of it so I'll still have a Beemer in the garage.
I enjoyed reading the posts in this forum and will still check in occasionally. It has been very helpful.
Be safe out there...Live to Ride and Ride to Eat

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Good on ya for moving on. There is no one bike that is ideal for everyone. I guess that's why there is more than 1 manufacturer (duh!). The good news is that if you decide to come back you are always welcome. In the meantime be careful out there and stay safe!

Loren

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
Hey, Romeo - enjoy your new ride. Throw a pic here when you get pic taking time. Ride safe, have fun, take care.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thanks for letting us know Romeo so we can be looking for you out there on the Victory. I'm sure you've made a good choice cause there ain't no bad ones as long as you are riding.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Good luck with the Victory, they are sweet looking rides.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
They say the style of the Victory isn't for everyone, and I am proof! I think they're cool looking, and if I ever went into the market for a V-twin, I'd check them out.

Ride what you like, and keep the shiny side up!
:worthless

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have a v-twin and an LT. I love 'em both for different reasons, and if I was ever wealthy enough to upgrade the VTX I'd be a strong candidate for the Victory (and upgrading the LT would put me on a GTL....). I have a buddy with a Cross Country and it is a really awesome bike - you'll love it. All the best and stay safe!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've been considering the same switch...just from a '99 LT instead of an '09! I'm sure the differences would be night and day to your differences. I'd love to hear what you think of the handling. I just can't get over how amazing the LT is in the twisites...If I'm dragging hard parts on the LT, I can only imagine what kind of stuff I'd wear off a Victory! Good luck and God bless.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Let us know after a few months of ownership how you feel. I have considered Victory many times but will surely keep my LT and add a Victory Vision. I love the looks of the vision, but my wife does not. Would love to hear about your move in more detail once you have owned it for a few months.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Speaking of Victory I came across this Victory Vision Concept... this get pretty radical
More Images and story found HERE

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went back to BMW to pick up wife's bike after some servicing. They're also the Victory dealer in Indy. They had just uncrated and assemble my new Cross Country Tour...BEAUTIFUL. It hasn't gone through the checklist yet so I couldn't ride it. I'll pick it up Saturday. But I rode the one they had on the showroom floor again and now I'm even more sure this is the bike for me. It is a very comfortable and relaxing ride. I will miss my LT on the winding back roads. That just means I'll be able to see more while on the back roads because I'll probably be riding a little slower. Can't wait to get out there on it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
¡Vaya con Dios, Mi Amigo!

The thing that amazes me about bikers, is their general accpetance of whatever you feel you need to do.

When I parted ways with the VTX forum after I bought the LT, they were nothing but supportive. Same here.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
As long as you ride what works for you, it does not matter what you ride, just that you ride.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The buddy I've ridden with for yrs has a Vision. Bought it new and has 55k on it and absolutely loves it and has had no trouble with it. He did have the cams changed out for a little extra omph! I used to be able to take him but now he has the edge.

I've ridden it several times but can't seem to get used to sitting "down in the bike" and looking through the windscreen. He can't get used to sitting "high" on my bike and looking over the windscreen. Right now...we're both very happy!

Good luck with your new ride!

·
Registered
346 Posts
So am I the only LT left in Fishers now?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts