BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh well after 8 years of membership here and allot of help from all of you, I'm moving on to another brand. I will be checking back often, to see what you guys are up to. I owned around 30 motorcycles in my life but never a Harley, until now. Rode a friends Ultra for awhile and decided to get a new red 2012 ultra classic. Looks wise it's the best looking bike I have ever owned, but it's no BMW in performance. My wife and I are comfortable on it and are enjoying it so far. Will be touring on it in Oct. My main reason for not getting another Beemer was the lack of dealerships across the country. My closest one is 2 hours away. Also here in the south they don't hold their value very well. Myself and my neighbor bought new Ultra's together the same day, he traded the same year model GL1800 with 2'000 more miles than mine and got almost twice for his. I'm not being negative about it, because I did enjoy the K1200lt for 8 years.

Thanks to everyones help: Mickey

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Enjoy your new ride! That is all that matters, no matter what the brand or riding style.:wave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not so sure I won't be doing the same once my LT wears out. I like the comfort of the LT, and while I have not tried the GTL yet, the looks don't excite me, the comfort (especially pillion) is in question, and all that technology, while amazing, I'm afraid would come back to haunt me should I have to get it repaired. I wish BMW would have built a "GLT" (a play on the name) for the " touring" enthusiast and just stopped at the GT for the sports enthusiast.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I for one sure can't argue your logic. I'm fortunate enough to have more than one bike, so I can ride the style I want on any given day. And I think it's good to shake things up a bit, try new things. And I do agree with the dealership issue. Again, I'm lucky enough to be able to stumble through most of my own work, with, like you said, the help here.
Having ridden the new GW for some miles, I know I'd never (never say never) own one.
Hope you enjoy the new ride.
If I could offer some advise? Don't use Harley's Syn 3. Get a decent brand of oil in there. And when your tires wear out, dump the Dunlops.
Off my soapbox, and back to your regularly scheduled discussion.
Enjoy :wave

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,248 Posts
Best of Luck to you Mickey. Enjoy the new ride and I am sure some new friends (remember they don't just sell motorcycles but also a new lifestyle). Wish we had the dealership support that Harley has

·
Registered
656 Posts
As long as you and your lady are comfortable that's all that matters a bike is bike they come in all styles and sizes enjoy your new ride! I'll likely re-branding as well don't like the latest offing from bmw and I agree with the rest of your comments.

See ya on the Road

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
OK, since no one else seems willing to ask, I will.
Are you going to trade in you riding gear for chaps, do-rag, brain bucket and leather vest with button extenders and the optional 35 pounds of stickers and pins?
And are you going to grow a long gray ponytail, handle-bar mustache and get piercings and tats?
And Lastly, will you be able to change to the loooooooooooooow wave?

Sorry, couldn't help myself ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
CARNEYM, how could you do this? Turning your back on the ultimate ubermotorcycle company in the world for a Harley Davidson? Of all the lowly things a person could do . . .

I'm just yanking your chain buddy! It's always nice to hear when someone finds a ride they are really pleased with. I hope the new machine will provide you with lots of trouble free miles and the weather gives you the opportunity to really enjoy it!

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. I read somewhere "you will now not have to look like a Power Ranger when you ride. Tee shirt and jeans are OK". Just don't laugh at us when we pull into a rest area with ATGAT in 100 degree weather. OK? I almost did the same thing a few months back before they announced the K1600 and elected to go with another Beemer. I will agree the Harley Ultra is a great looking ride.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
sorchilla said:
Congrats on the new ride. I read somewhere "you will now not have to look like a Power Ranger when you ride. Tee shirt and jeans are OK". Just don't laugh at us when we pull into a rest area with ATGAT in 100 degree weather. OK? I almost did the same thing a few months back before they announced the K1600 and elected to go with another Beemer. I will agree the Harley Ultra is a great looking ride.
Doug, you are such a badass...! I totally see you on a hog! :rotf:

·
Registered
166 Posts
CARNEYM said:
. Also here in the south they don't hold their value very well. Myself and my neighbor bought new Ultra's together the same day, he traded the same year model GL1800 with 2'000 more miles than mine and got almost twice for his. I'm not being negative about it, because I did enjoy the K1200lt for 8 years.

Thanks to everyones help: Mickey
Good luck with ur new ride, a friend I ride with loves his, as far as trade in value it sucks if your selling....not if your buying I bought my 02 in 04 with 18K FOR 10k.....

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
It seems to be a good choice for you. One of my ridding buddies bought a new 2010 Ultra Classic last year and loves it. He has close to 45,000 miles on it now with no problems so far. Enjoy your new ride Mickey.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Congratulations on your shifting gears. No, the Ultra is not in the same class as a BMW, but it is not a slouch either. The more time you spend in the saddle the more you will figure out the methods to its madness.

Early on after buying my Ultra (about 5 years ago now) I had the opportunity to talk with a LEO that participated in synchronized riding in parades. My handling of the Ultra improved 400% after that. I am not going to suggest you take the ERC class or anything like that (by the way, the ERC does not discuss those technique anyway) but if you have an opportunity to talk with an experienced parade rider, especially with LEO specific training, by all means, take the time to discuss technique. You will be amazed at what the Ultra can do, and it isn't all as intuitive as you might think.

Good luck and happy trails!

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Congratulations on your new purchase! With the improvements to the frame, your new Ultra will handle vastly better than the '01 I had (which was an absolute pig in the corners).

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just got in and read all the positive comments. This community is why I enjoyed the Beemer so much. Thanks guys and see you on the road.

Mickey

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
CARNEYM said:
I just got in and read all the positive comments. This community is why I enjoyed the Beemer so much. Thanks guys and see you on the road.

Mickey
Check in from time to time to let us know how you're doing and remember RTE's are for anyone who enjoys good company & good food no matter what they ride. :wave

·
Registered
73 Posts
Have fun like others have said ...as long as you and your bride are happy

My buddy wants a BMW has a Ultra ...but told him if he buys a BMW his bride will have to ride naked !!!!
All she owns is Harley attire !!

Ride safe

·
Registered
69 Posts
Have friends that have Harleys. Have riddern them a few times. Still not going to trade mine in anytime soon! But then again I don't think they will be changing either.

But I do wish we (BMW) had a better dealer network. It seems like there's a Harley dealer at every wide spot in the road!

Happy riding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quitter!!!....OK you gave it 8 years. I too have moved on to a 2010 Goldwing for similar reasons but will miss the ride of my K1200LT. I do agree with a previous poster that the Harley attitude is much different than that of other brand riders at times. I cannot understand the superior attitude while perched on an air cooled, belt drive , low tech shaking, iron horse. Similarly I don't get the pipe replacement that occurs soon after the purchase of a H.D. to make the bike 'louder'. Is it possible to even hear their sound systems? The dealer network is to be admired, with Honda a close second. In the meantime my BMW buddies and Goldwing peers will continue to ride...ride...ride in comfort and engineered quiet.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts