BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading here I see you can move the trunk back. How? Is the bike made with adjustment bulit in or do you have to modify mounting? What is the procedure? Is wiring involved? Thanks :confused:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
13,780 Posts
There are two sets of holes already in there. Just remove the liner and pull the bolts. Then swap out the filler bolts from the rear holes to the front ones. No other mods needed.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Moving the top truck back will give you approx 1-1 1/2 inches of room. The rear of the truck will hang over the back the same amount, hardly noticable. good move

·
Registered
290 Posts
After reading all this, I moved mine back yesterday after work. Took all of about 15 minutes. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
14,452 Posts
JoeTerry said:
Is the adjustment an option on the 2000? I don't remember seeing an extra set of holes, but I wasn't specifically looking for them either.
Yep - can do on the 2000 model year. And I would suspect on all model years, since it's a pretty popular option with the passenger group!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
My '99 has the fake bolts too. I assumed they served a purpose and I suppose they do. They plug the holes the Germans drilled in the wrong place. Silly Germans. :D

·
Premium Member
7,524 Posts
RonKMiller said:
Luckily, that's NOT an issue with my pillion of 20 years. ;)
What makes you think I was talking about your pillion passenger? :)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Ron's mod is a great one. I did this to three of my LTs. I even added an extra inch.

You will be suprised how much storage you gain behind the pillion seat. This is where I keep my maps, first aid kit, etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have read about this before and considered doing it for the extra space and passenger comfort, but how does it affect the handling and weight redistribution to the rear tire etc?

·
Premium Member
7,524 Posts
kronson said:
I have read about this before and considered doing it for the extra space and passenger comfort, but how does it affect the handling and weight redistribution to the rear tire etc?
I can't speak to Ron's mod, but the stock rear position wasnt even noticeable.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
kronson said:
That was also my next question.
I am referring to Ron's mod. By extending the overall length of the bike 5-7 inches what does it do to the ride. And what about the frame if a possible load gain in now exerted further away from the bulk of the engine position. I never thought the LT could be made into a stretch limo. :histerica
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
billsmith said:
I am referring to Ron's mod. By extending the overall length of the bike 5-7 inches what does it do to the ride.
clicky

:rotf:

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
billsmith said:
I am referring to Ron's mod. By extending the overall length of the bike 5-7 inches what does it do to the ride. And what about the frame if a possible load gain in now exerted further away from the bulk of the engine position. I never thought the LT could be made into a stretch limo. :histerica
Not sure where you got 5-7 inches. Even with my mod we're talking about 2 inches total.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
RonKMiller said:
Not sure where you got 5-7 inches. Even with my mod we're talking about 2 inches total.
Sorry but layman's error.
In pictures #3, #4 of the mod I am seeing 2 1/2 to the left the steel bracket and on the right 8 3/8. Since I have never been under my top case I was not sure what that meant. But again if it was not exactly factory does the extra push back have any unnatural feel?

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
billsmith said:
Sorry but layman's error.
In pictures #3, #4 of the mod I am seeing 2 1/2 to the left the steel bracket and on the right 8 3/8. Since I have never been under my top case I was not sure what that meant. But again if it was not exactly factory does the extra push back have any unnatural feel?
My wife only mentioned that she felt a bit more reclined - which makes sense - versus sitting bolt upright. One thing I may do is to mount the pad a bit differently, probably just with some extended bolts and washers, so that it sticks out more on the bottom and has a little pitch to it.

Just about everything I've done to get her comfy on the back has paid dividends in increased mileage. She's good for 100 at a time before needing a stretch - and considering she's 55 that ain't too bad for the old gal.

(if she sees this post I'm history!) :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts