BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The LT I bought in Oct. was owned by a man who lived far down some gravel roads. So gravel dust was everywhere on and in it. I just finished putting on a new set of Ohlins this weekend. So the skins are off now.
On top of there being so much dust on everything (especially the wiring under the seats) there are old mouse nests up under the passenger seat. I was going to use a vacuum for as much of this job as possible, but that won't hardly touch most of the dust coating. I wonder (but doubt) if I could get away with using a low pressure hose or a garden spray bottle with water, esp while the battery is still removed, to rinse much of that away, without damaging electrical connections or electronics or starting to have some tough to find, even intermittent ghost shorts and grounds??? You guys have been a wealth of info in the past and your input is appreciated. Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Greg, as long as you keep the wand quite aways from everything, a pressure washer works fine. You don't want to put alot of pressure on the wires, but I use one all the time on my bike. The bike will dry out and should be fine. Chuck

·
Registered
498 Posts
I used superclean and LOTS of water straight out of the hose for rinsing. While you are under there, disconnect every connector you an find, clean with electrical contact cleaner and add new dielectric grease. Preventative maintenance is a great habit!

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Cochinosucio said:
While you are under there, disconnect every connector you an find, clean with electrical contact cleaner and add new dielectric grease. Preventative maintenance is a great habit!
+1, emphatically

·
Registered
88 Posts
A good way to deter mice is when preping for storage stuff some dryer sheets into locations where mice are likely to try to build a nest.

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
Thumperjon said:
A good way to deter mice is when preping for storage stuff some dryer sheets into locations where mice are likely to try to build a nest.
Or, get a cat. :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Like this...

Attachments

·
Registered
498 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Over the winter I did this "three toning" and pinstriping job with traffic sign grade contact adhesive materials just to see if I might really like it permanantly or if it could be a little too "ghetto-mod" looking. There was a minor scratch on the right saddlebag. I could have lived with it or gotten the whole thing repainted and restored to its Basalt Gray. But I actually do like it, so I am getting bids right now to have it professionally painted on. I might wait till winter. I wanted a design that would, as naturally as possible follow the gracefully engineered contours of the LT. Something that many might not even notice as more than just a custom three toning pinstriping job, unless they looked closely. I did not choose to do the sharks mouth. That would not fit in too good in my opinion. I guess the front wheel and the engine are the mouth. The mouth is the only part of them that many people think of. "It preffers to only eat highway" I might try to say. I think sharks are beautiful, have dived with them and would like to see them preserved.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
I think if you went all the way, including making the roundel the shark's eye, that might be a bit ghetto.

Done in a ghosty sort of way with paint would, I think, look pretty cool.

Sorry to jack your thread.

Tom

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm actually thinking about your input. If I'm going to do the shark theme at all, it has to be somewhat vague and to, as naturally as possible, blend in. I'm evaluating removing the eyes altogether from the front fender. Here is a closer look at the way they are now>

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts