BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am just starting to work out how to install some Piaa 1100 driving lights lights. They are the ones with the threaded pin that requires a hole drilling to mount them.

Since I was not ready to drop $80 for brackets I was wondering what the consensus is on mounting them on the plastic webbing that sit inside the fairing. This is located betwenn lower and upper panels.This would place them inside and above the front fender. There is a triangular flat area some few square inches. It looks a fairly strong mounting point and with the addition of a metal backing plate should stop too much flexing and untimately failure and some heat reflective tape should minimise the odds of a meltdown

Has anyone tried this location. I guess one draw back is that it would require holes being drilled in the bodywork :eek: which might alarm some purists.

Anyhow do you think it is feasible or should I just stop being cheap?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,514 Posts
hi ND

this is where I put mine seems to work ok used some spray foam to take out some of the flex I know your lights are different and weight might be of concern, but it handles these little fellas easy
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,492 Posts
Vibration

My only concern here would be vibration resulting from the thin plastic. that is why I built brackets for the location a long time ago. my kits are not $80, they have a MSRP of $60.00, and I have held that pricing for several years now, even with increased cost of material and hardware... don't know who quoted you 80 bucks, that way too much... ! :eek:

if you need to talk, call toll free number on my website..
 

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
Joined
·
8,178 Posts
ndmunro said:
Anyhow do you think it is feasible or should I just stop being cheap?
I'd say stop being cheap. You will be better off making your own brackets if you don't want to buy the ones many of us bought, but if you don 't I am concerned that the vibrations will damage the tupperware and your lamps will be shaking. Neither of these would be a good thing.:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
Triangle light pattern

Consider a lower location too. I have mine mounted on the lower forks to create a triangle affect. I have thought about mounting an additional set higher up, but until then, this works for me.

Just a thought.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
Joined
·
8,178 Posts
Are these motolites?
KIC said:
Consider a lower location too. I have mine mounted on the lower forks to create a triangle affect. I have thought about mounting an additional set higher up, but until then, this works for me.

Just a thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Get these!!!!!!!!!

I was going down your road a while back. Was even going to try to prefab my own ezytype mounts. Then started thinking, what's my time worth and do I want crappy, clunky, hard to adjust mounts on the best, top of the line, coolest, classiest motorcycle made. These mounts are reasonable and the engineering is right on. Just get them!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You'll be up and runnin' in no time. Wish my GSADV brackets had been this reasonable. Those are 150.00 up. You will love the additional light. :)

EzyMount said:
My only concern here would be vibration resulting from the thin plastic. that is why I built brackets for the location a long time ago. my kits are not $80, they have a MSRP of $60.00, and I have held that pricing for several years now, even with increased cost of material and hardware... don't know who quoted you 80 bucks, that way too much... ! :eek:

if you need to talk, call toll free number on my website..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,565 Posts
ndmunro said:
Hi

I am just starting to work out how to install some Piaa 1100 driving lights lights. They are the ones with the threaded pin that requires a hole drilling to mount them.

Since I was not ready to drop $80 for brackets I was wondering what the consensus is on mounting them on the plastic webbing that sit inside the fairing. This is located betwenn lower and upper panels.This would place them inside and above the front fender. There is a triangular flat area some few square inches. It looks a fairly strong mounting point and with the addition of a metal backing plate should stop too much flexing and untimately failure and some heat reflective tape should minimise the odds of a meltdown

Has anyone tried this location. I guess one draw back is that it would require holes being drilled in the bodywork :eek: which might alarm some purists.

Anyhow do you think it is feasible or should I just stop being cheap?

So, let me see if I have this right. You just bought a $20,000+ motorcycle, and you're balking at spending $80 to mount your $225 lights. :confused:

I vote for stop being cheap!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
PIAA lights

BTW, I too considered PIAAs as a way to get more light. Then I read a little further on this site and decided to give HID a try. Bought a 5000K H7 low beam kit from www.cqlight.ca and had a fellow LTer (well now GT) install the kit. All the folks on this site were right, for 85.00 I got a lot of light.

That price was including shipping and it arrived in 2 days from the west coast. Damn fine folks at cqlight. If the overall costs to add more light to your LT is the sticking point, get an HID kit and send the PIAAs back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PIAA lights - The ayes have it

I am ordering brackets and a Low Beam HID
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
zippy_gg

zippy_gg said:
Are these motolites?
Not sure of the actual brand name. I don't need that special tool to remove and replace the bulb like some of them need. The front part unscrews off the bullet shaped part instaed of the front "ring" type.
 

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top