BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 6 weeks eventually I've got my LT back! You might remember that I lost power whilst I was riding and that the bike was recovered to BMW.

Diagnosis: 1.Motronic failure. Control Unit replaced
2. Loom burnt out in main loom. Repaired and re-loomed

The joke: £1324

The culprit: BMW believes it was the HID kit. In fact one of the red wires from the kit is melted. BMW has removed the HID kit and will not give any warranty if it is replaced even with a new kit.

As many of you, previously I had a cqlight kit, but when failed I replaced in September with a Novablue http://www.novablue.co.uk/shop/shop.php?action=full&id=7.
It is of note that although it's described as a motorcycle kit, came in an automotive dual package(but with 1 kit only).

OPINIONS: has any of you had similar problem?
can the HID kit be the culprit as suggested by BMW?
the HID kit is under warranty, could Novablue be held liable?(the unit is plug&play type so they would not say I did not fit it properly?).
I have read that some automotive HID kits can draw in excess of 20A for the first few seconds, but this kits states a startup current of 7A)

Thanks in anticipation for your opinions, Andoni

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
If you wired it directly to the bikes lighting harness the stock fuse should have blown before any wire damage occurred. So, I would say that it is highly unlikely the hid is the source of your problems unless it was wired without an inline fuse. However, If your hid wiring was loose or corroded at any of the connections that could cause heat build up and eventually melt the wires before blowing the fuse and if these melted wires contacted the wires for your motronic it could short it out. You will have an uphill battle against either BMW or the Hid manufacturer without having the burnt wires to prove fault.

·
Registered
989 Posts
sanjaun2 said:
If you wired it directly to the bikes lighting harness the stock fuse should have blown before any wire damage occurred. So, I would say that it is highly unlikely the hid is the source of your problems unless it was wired without an inline fuse. However, If your hid wiring was loose or corroded at any of the connections that could cause heat build up and eventually melt the wires before blowing the fuse and if these melted wires contacted the wires for your motronic it could short it out. You will have an uphill battle against either BMW or the Hid manufacturer without having the burnt wires to prove fault.
Full agreement.

First of all, under normal circumstances, the wiring for the HID kit should have nothing to do with the main wiring harness. The kits I know (I've had both CQ and VME) either pick up the connection inside of headlamp shell or tap the cable going to the headlight socket. Nothing even goes back that far into the bike, to reach the main harness.

In general, the HID lamps do not have separate power leads running from battery, because they draw less current than the original halogens and thus can take power from the existing wiring for the headlights. I assume here that your HID lights were replacements for the headlights, not additional auxiliary lights.

You really need to have a look at the old wiring to be able to determine what happened and to prevent a similar occurrence in the future.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have the CQ HID's on both High and Low Beams. The fuse on the high has blown more than twice. I suspect it is from flipping it (hi Beam) on and off many times. Of course, that wont be a problem now that the shift fork is jammed in second gear. You'ld think that I could get a few miles on the bike before it broke.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts