BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2016 R1200RT
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I currently have an Innova OBD2 scanner with Bluetooth capabilities. It’s definitely not one of the cheap ones cautioned about in previous threads. Retails for about $50 on Amazon and Autozone. Has anybody had any luck with using an OBD2 scan tool that wasn’t the OBDLink I see everybody talking about? I have the adapter on the way, a Amazon Fire tablet hacked for Apple Play, MotoScan app downloaded….as soon as I get the adapter I’ll start fumbling around to see what if anything works on it….unless anybody has already beat me to the punch and can give me some insight. (2016 RT)

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
360 Posts
:lurk:

My motto, "Never be first, stay CLEAR away from the bleeding edge ..."

Same situation. Will be watching how this works out for you. 😏

Good luck. We're all behind you, win or win. 😂

·
Registered
2016 R1200RT
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha I am going to disappoint you BIG time! So I couldn’t download the repair solutions 2 App for the Innova from google play. I called autozone and the let me return it for full credit. I have absolutely no idea even if I NEED the app to make this happen but it was a good enough excuse to get a return on it i after owning it for over 3 weeks. OBDLink LX on the way and will be at my door tomorrow…we can consider this thread dead, unless anyone is interested in how this all plays out with a second hand Amazon fire 7 tablet I got for basically nothing.

·
Premium Member
6,304 Posts
I currently have an Innova OBD2 scanner with Bluetooth capabilities. It’s definitely not one of the cheap ones cautioned about in previous threads. Retails for about $50 on Amazon and Autozone. Has anybody had any luck with using an OBD2 scan tool that wasn’t the OBDLink I see everybody talking about? I have the adapter on the way, a Amazon Fire tablet hacked for Apple Play, MotoScan app downloaded….as soon as I get the adapter I’ll start fumbling around to see what if anything works on it….unless anybody has already beat me to the punch and can give me some insight. (2016 RT)
Take a look at what I wrote quite sometimes back . . . . . Alternative to GS-911. You don't have to read the whole long thread, but you should be able to pick up a lot of information there. You have a '16 RT, and so you will need a special converter cable to make the connection. Pay close attention as to what I posted about that. OTOH, I have one that I had used on my previous '15 RT, if anybody is interested, you can make me an offer for it!

·
Registered
2016 R1200RT
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did read it all the way through and it was a great post, thank you! I already ordered one from Amazon and will be here today. Had I known I totally would’ve taken you up on the offer. At first since I’m an Apple guy normallly I was going to to GS911 route until you or someone else mentioned using a cheap android for the sole purpose of motolink. I picked up a cheap second hand Amazon Fire 7, got google play downloaded as a side(?) app, and Obdlink all downloaded. I did see your part about not using the cheap OBD readers as well, and that’s where I thought id be ok to try the Innova scanner. But since Autozone allowed me to return it for full price plus an unused gallon of coolant for my daughters car I think I broke even stepping up to the obdlink lx. Everything gets here today but I won’t be. Taking my son camping, so the new toys will be waiting for me.

·
Premium Member
6,304 Posts
There was one guy who apparently ignored what I warned about the cable and bought some other one, and wondered why it didn't work!

·
Registered
2016 R1200RT
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There was one guy who apparently ignored what I warned about the cable and bought some other one, and wondered why it didn't work!
I’m feeling confident I’ll be able to figure it out. Ordered the DVD from eBay as well. Taking my wife’s retired MacBook and turning that into my shop computer where the service manual will live. I may download the service manuals for my cars while I’m at it! Lol going in all the way on the motorcycle maintenance to avoid the dealership prices I never thought about pre-staging and seeking forum style advice for the cars!

·
Premium Member
6,304 Posts
BTW, MotoScan web site also give you similar and more updated information nowadays. Back when I wrote that thread, the site is only in German, but now, you can change the language and have the contents translated to English (and a couple other languages) instantly.

·
Registered
2016 R1200RT
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BTW, MotoScan web site also give you similar and more updated information nowadays. Back when I wrote that thread, the site is only in German, but now, you can change the language and have the contents translated to English (and a couple other languages) instantly.
Looking forward to learning everything. The scan tool and adapter are literally at my house in a box right now. Currently camping with my son, and won’t be back til this evening

·
Registered
2016 R1200RT
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Success! Went with the 27.99 version for now. Will upgrade if needed. Ok, breakdown of my cost….35 for used Amazon fire 7 tablet. 20 for cable. 27.99 for ap, 90 for OBDLink. So about half of the GS911. IF MotoScan does everything I need, money well spent. Ok, question: can I switch km to miles on the MotoScan ap? I reset my next reminder for 19,000 km and all is well, but prefer all units of measurement to be the same. This is also a huge win for us who believe a right to repair is an important part of our lives and will keep going out there and figuring out how to make that happen

·
Premium Member
6,304 Posts
I am not sure about changing the unit. I also prefer to use miles over km, but figured it to be a really minor issue that I had pretty much ignored it!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Good luck trying to make a Amazon fire work with Motoscan it’s very unlikely it’s going to work
Amazons OS is a little bit different than an android OS

·
Registered
215 Posts
Good luck trying to make a Amazon fire work with Motoscan it’s very unlikely it’s going to work
Amazons OS is a little bit different than an android OS
They have android tablets that are like $84 that work perfect with The Motoscan app
But Amazon fire tablets do not work with Motoscan

·
Registered
2016 R1200RT
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They have android tablets that are like $84 that work perfect with The Motoscan app
But Amazon fire tablets do not work with Motoscan
I got it to work. Just need to download google play to get the motoscan app. Reset my maintenance due light and everything.

·
Registered
2016 R1200RT
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can when I get home later, no problem. Again you need to download the app through google play. It wasn’t available in the Amazon store

1 - 20 of 23 Posts