BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
3,271 Posts
I think if you search PadG did a pretty extensive write up on it.

Try your search skillz out:wink:

· IBR# 366
12,225 Posts
The detailed thread by PadG is here.

Short answer: no iPhone support for MotoScan.

This thread claims that a UniCarScan works with iOS and Android.

This page claims to have several iOS-compatible OBD adapters that work on BMW cars—some of these might also work on BMW motorcycles with the proper adapter cable.

Haven't tried any of these myself...

· Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Or get a cheap smartphone at Walmart for around $12 (the last time that I looked) and don't bother to even activate the phone service.

Reactions: kbob12

· Registered
7 Posts
Or get a cheap smartphone at Walmart for around $12 (the last time that I looked) and don't bother to even activate the phone service.
I have a Samsung Notebook (Android) with WiFi connection to my home network. I downloaded the Motoscan app through Google and I am very pleased with how little I've invested and how much I can do with it. If you go the smartphone path, would you use the same WiFi approach to connect to the internet and download the Motoscan application?

· Premium Member
6,589 Posts
I have a Samsung Notebook (Android) with WiFi connection to my home network. I downloaded the Motoscan app through Google and I am very pleased with how little I've invested and how much I can do with it. If you go the smartphone path, would you use the same WiFi approach to connect to the internet and download the Motoscan application?
That's the idea. You only need to connect to the internet to get the MotoScan app and any future updates, and you will need the internet to update the firmware of the OBDLink device, all of which are done at home. That's it. You don't need a tablet, since the MotoScan interface is nothing fancy, and viewing it on a small smartphone is fine. If you have MotoScan installed on your tablet already, then you can also install it on any more Android devices as you wish, and it won't cost you any more, as long as you are using the same Google account on all your devices. I have the app installed on my Pixel phone as well as on 2 other Samsung tablets. For the money, this set up is your best bang for the buck! You can do everything that the GS-911 can do, functionally, but won't have the fancy display or logging that you can do with GS-911 (based on what I have read).

• Helpful
Reactions: Admin

· Registered
2022 R1250 RT
243 Posts

Question for you.. Had been using an old Samsung Galaxy S for the Motoscan app successfully up until just recently but now I'm unable to get it to work. Apparently I can't update the motoscan app from the Google play store with this old phone. The old Samsung operating system will not will not update to the current version of the google play store app so that I can update the motoscan app.

Do you have a suggestion for a $12 phone that will run the most recent version of Google play store? I then can update the motoscan app and use it again to adjust the service interval setting. (sorry if my question is confusing but I have been an Iphone user for some time)

The current version of the Motoscan app on the Samsung phone is 1.83 from the Motoscan app settings.

This is the message I received from the Motoscan contact to alleviate the problem

Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Number

· Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Question for you.. Had been using an old Samsung Galaxy S for the Motoscan app successfully up until just recently but now I'm unable to get it to work. Apparently I can't update the motoscan app from the Google play store with this old phone. The old Samsung operating system will not will not update to the current version of the google play store app so that I can update the motoscan app.

Do you have a suggestion for a $12 phone that will run the most recent version of Google play store? I then can update the motoscan app and use it again to adjust the service interval setting. (sorry if my question is confusing but I have been an Iphone user for some time)

The current version of the Motoscan app on the Samsung phone is 1.83 from the Motoscan app settings.

This is the message I received from the Motoscan contact to alleviate the problem

View attachment 180994
If you have a need for a tablet, then that will work quite well. OTOH, for cheap phones, I would look at what's offered at Walmart, and eBay. You don't need the phone part, and so anything will do. Just make sure that it's running recent version of Android.

Personally, I am not an Apple fan, and so my tablet is Android, and that's where I usually run MotoScan at home. MotoScan is also on my Pixel phone, and that's where I use the app while on the road.

Reactions: kbob12 and Fast1
1 - 13 of 13 Posts