BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the Kenwood unit works and that BMW has a cord. However, I have been looking at the Kenwood two watt GMRS units because of price. I can get two of them for under $60 rather than one Kenwood for $140. (I will also use these skiing and camping).

So my questions are has anyone successfully made a cord to work with the Motorola units? If so, do they work with other radios specifically the Kenwood radios?

I am probably going to get the Kenwood unless someone has successfully gone the Motorola route with the VoiceII and it also works on GMRS including subchannels with the Kenwood units.

Here are the Motorolas I am looking at: http://www.buy.com/prod/Motorola_SX700R_12_Mile_FRS_GMRS_Radio/q/loc/111/90146577.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
midland frs

just tried the midland frs with the BMW cord and the voice 11 and the BMW

ptt switch. no luck and ill be taking them back to best buy.will any kenwood

unit work with this config?

·
Registered
740 Posts
RICK1952 said:
will any kenwood unit work with this config?
If you have the dual plug connecting cord you got from the dealer, then yes. What you're running into is the proprietary setup for the mic/speaker connection the different radio manufacturers impose upon themselves to differenciate their radios from their competition so they're not all plug and play with each other. Nice, isn't it? :( From their perspective, it more or less steers the consummer to buy the same brand so that it's less painful to get your radios to work together. After BMW went to the VOICE II, it appears they have more or less adopted the Kenwood standard for the mic/speaker connection, excluding even Motorola, which had been doable with the Comm Systems ('03 and <). Otherwise, with most other brands, and I believe Midland is one of them, the mic/spkr connection is the reverse of the Kenwood, and thus no love. :( You can get it to work, but you'll have to build and rig a connecting cord in order to do that, additional trouble most folks are not willing to go through. The easy out, unfortunately, is to suck it up and buy the Kenwood. You won't be disapointed...it's a good radio.

·
Registered
7 Posts
kenwood

thanks for the Great info it helps understand what the @#$$T is going
on. Will any other Kenwood Radio work and are thier any other recommendations
other than the Kenwood that BMW has :) ie a kenwood that is more powerful
cb or gms

·
Registered
740 Posts
Well, you could go with this, which would boost your output to 2 watts and also get you a Mil Spec radio. The Icom IC-F21GM seen here will crank out 4 watts on high power and many on this board have and like this radio. But once again, with this radio you are dealing with a different brand than the Kenwood and the plug arrangement for mic/speaker is reversed. The programming of these two radios is a little quirky too but manageable. One other thing to consider when discussing power output...the increased range you are trying get will only be as beneficial to you as the ability (power output/range) of the other radio to talk back to you. Unless the other guy is putting out 2 watts also, or 4 watts as the case may be, you're more or less wasting your time with the increase in power, especially considering most folks will be running the 1/2 watt variety FRS. On the other hand, there's lots to be said for a Mil Spec radio...practically indestructible.

·
Registered
507 Posts
RICK1952 said:
just tried the midland frs with the BMW cord and the voice 11 and the BMW

ptt switch. no luck and ill be taking them back to best buy.will any kenwood

unit work with this config?
Before you take the Midland back try putting the Midland on VOX. Then key the PTT button and see if you can transmit. There has been discussion on the forum relative to this topic. People did not think the Baerhr systems worked with the Midland radio and a PTT button but they do!

·
Registered
507 Posts
jhsonderb said:
Before you take the Midland back try putting the Midland on VOX. Then key the PTT button and see if you can transmit. There has been discussion on the forum relative to this topic. People did not think the Baerhr systems worked with the Midland radio and a PTT button but they do!

Here's the thread that I referred to:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2307

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Ranger6 said:
Well, you could go with this, which would boost your output to 2 watts and also get you a Mil Spec radio. The Icom IC-F21GM seen here will crank out 4 watts on high power and many on this board have and like this radio. But once again, with this radio you are dealing with a different brand than the Kenwood and the plug arrangement for mic/speaker is reversed. The programming of these two radios is a little quirky too but manageable. One other thing to consider when discussing power output...the increased range you are trying get will only be as beneficial to you as the ability (power output/range) of the other radio to talk back to you. Unless the other guy is putting out 2 watts also, or 4 watts as the case may be, you're more or less wasting your time with the increase in power, especially considering most folks will be running the 1/2 watt variety FRS. On the other hand, there's lots to be said for a Mil Spec radio...practically indestructible.

This is the one I got and also sprang for the shorty antenna so it fits better in the condiment box. Works great. Also you can still talk to motorolas and midlands etc, just look and the channel/frequency sheet for each and figure out whitch channels match up. For instance Channel 8 on one may be channel 15 on the other.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Frs Raido

JUST GOT A KENWOOD TK 3131 AND HOKED IT UP TO THE VOICE 2
WITH THE BMW CORD FITS IN THE RADIO BOX FINE AND WORKES FINE WITH
THE BMW PTT SWITCH. KENWOOD NO LONGER MAKES THE RAIDO THAT
BMW SELLS. THE TK3131 IS A BETTER UNIT AND HAS MORE POWER.

RICK 1952 :) :bmw:

06 STORM GRAY 1200LT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts