BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Well, I certainly am glad they mentioned in the article that the rider was wearing a helmet!

I don't think it would make too much difference when a lightning bolt hits you, tho.....

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
This is becoming more and more common. It's got me pulling over for the first time this year. I used to ride right through the crap. Now, I'm thinking twice.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
I think it was just last year when another unlucky soul got hammered in Rocky Mountain National Park - just a few miles away up the hill...

I see guys playing golf ALL the time in Colorado with thunderstorms in the area. Nothing like waving a 3 foot metal pole in the air to attract attention. :eek:

I understand that lightening likes a blunt surface better than a point for grounding.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actualy, the electrical field strength is lowest on a blunt surface. This is why lightning rods are pointed. You want the lightning to strike the rod so it will be discharged safely into the ground.
I for one will certainly be much more aware of riding in thunder storms.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I wonder what time this occured. I was zipping down I-25 right by there yesterday. I did see a guy on a RT about 4:30. Hopefully it was not him.

·
Registered
43 Posts
What a way to go! One minute enjoying the commute on your scoot, the next wake up in the presence of the Almighty.

Sandy
Be Ready

·
Registered
314 Posts
RonKMiller said:
I think it was just last year when another unlucky soul got hammered in Rocky Mountain National Park - just a few miles away up the hill...

I see guys playing golf ALL the time in Colorado with thunderstorms in the area. Nothing like waving a 3 foot metal pole in the air to attract attention. :eek:

I understand that lightening likes a blunt surface better than a point for grounding.
I think it was Jack Nicklaus who, when told a thunderstorm was immenent, said he wasn't worried about it and proceeded to wave a club around in the air declaring "not even god can hit a 1-iron!".

·
Registered
284 Posts
ha

i figure if you are riding down the road and get hit by lightening....its your time.....

kinda like an uncle i had who was driving through cherokee north carolina at about 30 mph when a huge oak tree fell off a hill above the road and smashed his truck into the ground.....

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
This article is even better!

<Noble and Duffy said they were not sure whether Croft was wearing a helmet at the time of the accident. She was the only person struck by the tree, they said.>

Bob

·
Registered
538 Posts
Weird how they measure bike distance in meters and the crater in inches. I thought we were still in feet, yards, all that different stuff.

and you GT riders needin' worry. I hear those bikes are too fast and sleek for lightning....:D

·
Registered
659 Posts
astuber said:
Actualy, the electrical field strength is lowest on a blunt surface. This is why lightning rods are pointed. You want the lightning to strike the rod so it will be discharged safely into the ground.
I for one will certainly be much more aware of riding in thunder storms.
I could be wrong (it happened once a long time ago ;) ) but isn't the purpose of a lightning rod to discharge the buildup to ground to prevent the lightning strike? I think if lightning did strike a lightning rod it would pretty much fry it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Ron82much said:
I think it was Jack Nicklaus who, when told a thunderstorm was immenent, said he wasn't worried about it and proceeded to wave a club around in the air declaring "not even god can hit a 1-iron!".
I thought it was Lee Trevino.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Before Rock says it...

I'll add this: What we need is a federal law requiring lighting rods on our mandatory m/c helmets, with a portable field generator/dissipator on the back of each and every motorcycle -- retroactive to all bikes ever made. These death-by-lightning tragedies must stop.

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
314 Posts
nightcrawler921 said:
I thought it was Lee Trevino.
I'm not really sure...that was from memory. Someone here thinks it was a 2-iron ;)

But, on the serious side...I also recall reading that you should get to safety if you can see lightning (even distant flashes) or hear thunder. A stoke of lightning travels for miles, depending on the electrical charges at work.

As for the lightning rod, it is meant to attract the lightning stroke to itself to keep it from hitting a building directly. The building is already grounded, which is what the lightning is attracted to. Use of a lightning rod has to be VERY carefully planned...they were very popular when they were first invented and many a barn was burned down because they attracted the lightning but couldn't effectively shunt the current to the earth and POOF, there goes the barn!

·
Registered
314 Posts
hschisler said:
I'll add this: What we need is a federal law requiring lighting rods on our mandatory m/c helmets, with a portable field generator/dissipator on the back of each and every motorcycle -- retroactive to all bikes ever made. These death-by-lightning tragedies must stop.

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help. :rolleyes:
Please don't get me started, I've had my rant-fest, my tongue is already bleeding from all the times I've bitten it after reading some of the recent threads. :p Must resist, must resist, stop typing now...hit send....arrrrghh!

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Ron82much said:
Please don't get me started, I've had my rant-fest, my tongue is already bleeding from all the times I've bitten it after reading some of the recent threads. :p Must resist, must resist, stop typing now...hit send....arrrrghh!
Understood, Ron. I meant my reply in total HUMOR and don't want to reopen that already-open can of worms (the thread is still ongoing). It was meant to lighten that topic up a little.

·
Registered
314 Posts
hschisler said:
Understood, Ron. I meant my reply in total HUMOR and don't want to reopen that already-open can of worms (the thread is still ongoing). It was meant to lighten that topic up a little.
Got it...I'm trying to be a good boy (for a few minutes). Actually I thought your post was pretty funny :eek: :p ;)

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Ron82much said:
Got it...I'm trying to be a good boy (for a few minutes). Actually I thought your post was pretty funny :eek: :p ;)
Then my work here is done! :)

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Reid said:
I could be wrong (it happened once a long time ago ;) ) but isn't the purpose of a lightning rod to discharge the buildup to ground to prevent the lightning strike? I think if lightning did strike a lightning rod it would pretty much fry it.
Nope, didn't happen again.

You're right. That's why the points - allow charge to 'bleed' off easier so there's no build up of voltage.

For some excellent info on grounding, lighting/RF protection, corrosion prevention and more - check out: http://www.polyphaser.com/ppc_ptd_home.aspx Even an article specific to us ham types :thumb:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts