1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
There really is no excuse for this to happen. Just a momentary of lack of attention on the part of either. Driver distracted, biker not watching his 6.

Three blocked from my home is a light controlled intersection where a biker was killed in a similar situation several years ago. Driver of the truck claimed to be blinded by the sun!

It was an early Sunday morning and motorcycle was the only one in the intersection, waiting for the light to change when he was rear-end waiting for the light to change.

"Watch your 6."

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
DanDiver said:
There really is no excuse for this to happen.
You're right about that Dan. Even though I try to make sure I've got an emergency exit planned for each stop and I'm watching the incoming traffic, there have been a hand full of occasions where a car/truck pulled up and caught me by surprise. It would only take one of those incidences to be a permanent lights out.

I think we have to fight to maintain constant situational awareness.

Greg

·
Registered
468 Posts
Yes, always check your six. We should do everything we can to maximise our chances. Here is another article on John.

http://www.kvoa.com/news/tucson-man...motorcycle-accident/#!prettyPhoto[gallery]/1/

I'm not sure he had much of a chance. The driver looks to have been going fast and never touched the brakes. I coach at the same program as John, although I never got the chance to coach with him. I wish I did, and feel for his family.

Dale

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
What really pisses me off is that the driver of the pickup truck should have never been behind the wheel driving in the first place. A senseless and avoidable death. People think driving is a right instead of a privilege.
Here in Florida illegal drivers is common place. Many get caught and are given a summons. Some even drive away in the same vehicle.

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
DanDiver said:
There really is no excuse for this to happen.
I was wrong. Reading the paper's account of this fatality, it is not an accident, there seems to be no way that John could have prevented it from occurring except to have not been there. The man driving the truck was a piece of scum and had no business driving.

In Florida, we have many drivers with multiple DUI and suspended licenses involved in accidents and fatalities ending up with either a fine or nothing. Those of us who are not in violation and follow the rules, end up victims and paying a steep price.

I don't know if 100 flashing lights on John's bike would have made a difference.

My sincere condolences to John's family.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I called the police on one fellow that was so drunk he could barely walk from the variety store to his car parked about 20 feet from the door. At the time I felt a little guilty but over time I am more convinced that this could have saved someones life.

Last year I came home safely from a 6,000 km trip and the next day I had a car pull off the road in front of me only to make a u turn, if there had been oncoming traffic it would have been impossible for me to avoid a collision. It is hard for me to understand why the driver was not aware of me as I had been following him for 5 or 6 km.

Gerhard

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
My heart goes out to John's friends & family. So sad & senseless! Good reminder to watch our 6 and exercise vigilance. We do have to realize that our gear and habits minimize our risk, but nothing eliminates it.
I'll put a plug in here for the AMA because they work to get laws drawn up to make drivers responsible for the injuries they cause not only to motorcyclists but to bicyclists and pedestrians as well. Just because someone isn't in a metal cage, doesn't make them responsible for their own injuries or death when someone violates their right of way. :rant: There I feel better now.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
DanDiver said:
I was wrong. Reading the paper's account of this fatality, it is not an accident, there seems to be no way that John could have prevented it from occurring except to have not been there. The man driving the truck was a piece of scum and had no business driving.

In Florida, we have many drivers with multiple DUI and suspended licenses involved in accidents and fatalities ending up with either a fine or nothing. Those of us who are not in violation and follow the rules, end up victims and paying a steep price.

I don't know if 100 flashing lights on John's bike would have made a difference.

My sincere condolences to John's family.
The drive was charged with Aggravated Driving Under the Influence, While License is Suspended, Revoked or Restricted, according to the indictment, as well as seven counts of Endangerment and one count of Criminal Damage.

I can only shake my head and count my blessings...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.