BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few of us seem to have issues getting out of parking garages on our bikes. A friend of mine said if the detection system is magnetic there is someone who makes a magnet you can mount on the bike that will set off the detector. Anyone ever here of such a thing?

Thanks

·
Registered
666 Posts
makinne said:
A few of us seem to have issues getting out of parking garages on our bikes. A friend of mine said if the detection system is magnetic there is someone who makes a magnet you can mount on the bike that will set off the detector. Anyone ever here of such a thing?

Thanks

It's called the green light trigger, but it doesn't always work.
When on the bike, and been stuck like that, I've always managed to squeeze out the sides. It's probably not always possible, but might give it a try, if you're really stuck.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ranks said:
It's called the green light trigger, but it doesn't always work.
When on the bike, and been stuck like that, I've always managed to squeeze out the sides. It's probably not always possible, but might give it a try, if you're really stuck.

Thanks! Just ordered one, I will let you know how it works :)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Old speaker magnet

I used an old speaker magnet about the size of a hockey puck, only problem is that I have to clean off the road debris it picks up - nails, screws etc...

I have since gone to Fleet Farm and picked up a couple of 1x2 inch magnets for $1.89 a pair and they work almost as well and they don't pick up road debris.

Dave

·
Registered
270 Posts
I seldom have this problem. And I have heard that hitting the kill switch and restarting the bike creates a disturbance in the magnetic field and activates the light in most cases. The key is to be right over the box or whatever your city state uses to trip lights. Try that until your package arrives and let us know what happens.

Ray

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Know anybody in the IT biz?? Ask 'em if they've got any old hard drives lay'n 'bout. Stip 'em down - there's usually 1 or more often 2 fairly strong magnets used to move the head assemblies. They'll come out with the right tools - so happens that for many, they're the same tools our LTs like. (give the kids the platters - they're pretty and make great noises when you roll 'em down the driveway)

Right now, I've 6 of those suckers stuck to the leading brace of the skid plate. no glue, no ties - nothing. Just their own attraction to steel. They've all been on there for about 10K miles now. If one falls off - big whoop. Got me about 40 or so stacked up in the garage. Incentive to come by Wyoming - you swing in here, I'll hook ya up with a few.

It makes a hell of a diff with a few lights in town - but not all. Seems the newer ones are going to that new fangled video system. Someone needs to teach 'em what a motorcycle looks like.

Use the search function and search on 'Green Light magnet' - lots o talk in past days

·
Registered
666 Posts
Zotter said:
Seems the newer ones are going to that new fangled video system. Someone needs to teach 'em what a motorcycle looks like.
Seen Joe's (messenger13) avatar ? Wonder what the camera would make of that. Maybe an emergency vehicle ? Maybe a UFO ? Sure would give it a pause !! :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
The triggers for these are actually a loop of wire which is energized, thereby creating a magnetic field surrounding the wire. Sensors within the equipment sense a change within the electric field. If you don't immediately trigger the equipment, try riding over a different portion of the loop. Then you can try killing/starting the motor over the loop.

I was once going into a parking structure, and couldn't trigger the equipment to give me my ticket and raise the gate. I was able to get around the gate and into the facility - but then what would I do when I wanted to exit (Me: I never got a ticket. Attendent: Well, then you pay the maximum.)

So I parked the bike, and walked back to the entrance. Fortuitously there was a trashcan nearby - with a metal lid. I took off the lid, waved it over the embedded loop, and the machine spit out a ticket for me.

Moral of the story: You don't need a magnet to cause a change in the magnetic field of a traffic sensor loop - Just a nice hunk of metal. So based on my story, we should now all affix a metal trashcan lid on the bottom of our bikes! :D

But seriously, I wonder how a 1/8" thick x about 1ft square ferrous metal "skid plate" (like the aluminum ones we put on the centerstands of our GS's, but instead made of steel) would work...

Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts