BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are attempting to start a classroom education type instruction about 2 to 3 hours long. Trying to educate on proper gear, motorcycle, riding etc...............

Maybe talk about laser/radar how that works and the DUI goggles.........

What do you think?

Any ideas suggestions?

End with "take a rider course."

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
"motorcycle consumer news" recently ran a three-part series on the motor officer training program for LAPD. the articles were quite comprehensive and i think might be valuable to you. i suggest you link to the below and request back issues. good luck.

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gary,
Show and read it. That school was for motor officers. We are trying to educate the public for free. Trying to get a "feel" or input from this wise person/s on this forum.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sure wish I could type/write. I meant, I saw the article and read it. I am trying to get input here on to see what topics to cover.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Hi, John!
Seems to me that all of the skills I have acquired in urban riding are those that have been the most difficult of all to learn. Quite different than, say a MSF course or race track. But, those skills come in handy every single day and they are the main reason I am still alive and kickin.

Maybe you can give some good urban combat tips with a video taping of a typical commute through the City????

Sounds good...good luck!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
motorman587 said:
Gary,
Show and read it. That school was for motor officers. We are trying to educate the public for free. Trying to get a "feel" or input from this wise person/s on this forum.
oh, okay.

well the one thing that i believe causes more accidents than anything else is failure to react effectively during a panick stop. many motorcyclists do the wrong thing and fail to stop in time to avoid a collision. so the most important thing, IMHO, is practicing emergency braking ... especially the front brake, where about 80 percent of stopping power resides.

many years ago when i was racing motocross i attended racing seminar conducted by gary bailey, a former national champ. he would stand at the entry of every corner with a big stick, and if you didn't slam on the front brake HARD going into that corner, he would rap your knuckles with that stick. it taught everyone real quick front-braking skills.

but those skills are lost of not rehearsed. so i think you should figure out a way that students can rehearse them until they are automatic.

·
Registered
531 Posts
It is important to learn to use and practice the skills for emergency braking. But think "SEE" is more important. That skill will help keep you out trouble by being one step or more ahead of the problem, then you will not need to perform the emergency braking. I rather have a good plan ahead of time rather than count on a reaction. Remember the most accidents (motorcycle only) happen in a corner, so knowing that corning skill should be placed before braking. Just think of how many different corners there are on the way to work and how you take each one.

For those interested you can buy the class materials on line from the MSF (msf-usa.org). Even though I am a new instructor I still bought my own books, you can never have to much information. That and I need it because those students ask some realy good questions!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Showing a video of how "invisible" we are might help. I was following a fellow on a custom cruiser (HD variety) with one of the smallest tail/brake lights and no turn signals. I know he was busy looking cool, but lane changing and executing turns without any signaling in high traffic is kind of stupid IMHO! I tend to think it's Death Race 2000 out there and I'm a 200 point target! A lot of guys that I work with seem to think it's the cage drivers responsibility to look out for them while riding and looking cool. They told me it took eleven hours to get to Austin from the D/FW area! They stoped at just about every rest stop they found and drank a few beers/shot the chit and proudly took pictures of the whole thing. They also don't understand why I wont go riding and drinking with them.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will make a copy of this post and use some your ideas, thanks for all the input and have a idea which way to go. Again thank you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts