BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am tired of trying to wave the toll transponder, modulate the clutch and gas all at the same time. Anyone seen/use a holder that could be mounted and used on a LT. I did a WEB search and found lots of handel bar clamp ones.

I have tried holding in my teeth.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I took a small aluminum plate and mounted it to my GPS holder. I used the super velcro that EZ Pass uses and just stick my transponder on.

I have never had a problem.

I used to velcro mine to the little wing, but I didn't like the way the wing vibrated with the transponder on it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I attach mine to the upper plastic wing just behind the windshield on my LT. I asked ezpass NH - where I got my transponder - and they said don't worry if the transponder doesn't read as long as the plate is associated with the account. I've seen a few transactions show up by plate number instead of transponder ID and there is no penalty for it.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
rcoolbaugh said:
I attach mine to the upper plastic wing just behind the windshield on my LT. I asked ezpass NH - where I got my transponder - and they said don't worry if the transponder doesn't read as long as the plate is associated with the account. I've seen a few transactions show up by plate number instead of transponder ID and there is no penalty for it.
Thats exactly it! Here in Houston, as long as you have an account and your license plate is on file they don't really care if they get a transponder read or not. Well, not according to the law. See the problem is that if they do not get a good transponder read on the high speed or just drive through lane is that its not YOUR problem, but the problem of the agency issuing the transponder. Different on the gated lanes, there its your problem, because the arm won;t raise.

*I* know on my commute and where I normally ride there is no gated lane, so at times I don;t have the transponder with me. The camera takes a picture, and the I am vtolling. No problem.

·
Registered
119 Posts
johnbaker15 said:
I have tried holding in my teeth.
To funny...! Mine is issued thru the great state of ME. They give out special velco strips for the vehicle windshield attachment so I asked for extras and attached them to the RT and R12C windshields. I swap it over to whatever vehicle I'm driving. I've only had one time on the RT where it wasn't recognized.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
The map holder on my LT is velcro'd to the top of the tank bag. Since I rely on the GPS, I removed the map holder, slapped some super velcro on the back of the transponder and it does just fine. Easy to remove and put in the top case or motel room when bike is unattended.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I have had my IL Tollway (i-Pass here) transponder attached to the left hand small wing behind the windshield using the same two strips of Tollway issued velcro for three years or so. The only times it comes off are on organized rides where tools are part of the fee or when the bike gets dragged on long trips.

I have never seen the blue light not come on when I use toll off-ramps and have never seen it not report. But then, it matters not as the transponder belongs to the LT.

Nobody has bothered to rip it off yet.

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input guys. I quess as long as the plate is registered I should be Ok. I presently swap from car to bike, since they are free maybe I'll just get one for the bike.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I put mine in my tank bag, which is generally covered by a map pouch and it seems to work fine.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
On my LT and RT I mounted the EZPass under the nose cover, between the arms of the windshield mechanism. I used the stick-on velcro just like mounting on a car windshield. Out of sight, and the plastic didn't attenuate the signal at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts