BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever come up with any of your own? And what motivated them?

I have two.
The first one was targeted toward my disappointment of Harley riders, of which I am one. The phrase:
"Most ride bar to bar. I ride peg to peg".
The second was motivated by a Goldwing riding buddy. Never took the lead, always whined about where and how fast we went. The phrase:
"Lead, keep up, catch up or shut up".

Anyone else?

·
IBR# 366
16,582 Posts
If it's nice enough out to wash the bike, it's nice enough to go riding . . . :D

And: The louder your pipes, the faster I'm gonna pass your ass . . . :cool:

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"The louder your pipes, the faster I'm gonna pass your ass . . . "

My son-in-law is gonna love this one. He literally starts foaming at the mouth when he sees or hears a Harley on the road. He becomes possessed with the need to pass them, let them go by and then pass them again. :histerica

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
"Hold my beer, Watch this ! "

John

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,534 Posts
"Quiet pipes never killed anyone!"

And my wife's , " I don't have a chair in my house as comfortable as the pillion seat on the LT".

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
"If I have to explain, you will never understand.."
"If you don't LIMP you aint ridden long enough.."
"They all do that."
"I've never seen that happen before.."
"There are OLD riders.. there are BOLD riders.. but there are no OLD BOLD riders.."
"If you've never seen God, you have not ridden fast enough.."
"There is an alternate universe into which the important screw or bolt will disappear, never to be seen again.."
"We have to order it.."
"We can schedule the repair in 3 weeks.."
- 4 weeks later - "We have to order it.."
"Yessir, 2 new tires... $800, mounted... er.. no Sir... not going to 'mount' you, but it will feel llike it.."
"The only motorcycle I've seen in front of a Psych office belongs to the doc."

·
Registered
161 Posts
The road doesn't get any softer just because it's hot.
I wish I was that cool.
"WHAT THE HECK THEY KEEP POINTING AT ON THE ROAD?" :wave

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
If you love your motorcycle, let it go...If it comes back, you probable high sided :wave

·
IBR# 366
16,582 Posts
There's a saying among the sport bike crowd that goes "WFO until you see god."

I always thought it should be "WFO until you pass god." :D

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I think I read this in the book, "Motorcycle Touring" by Greg Frazier, that was recommended by a member of this forum.

"Riding in a cage is like watching a movie. Riding on a bike is like being in it."

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Young riders pick a destination and go, old riders pick a direction and go.

and of course

Just Ride it!

·
Registered
161 Posts
"Eat to live, Ride to eat!"

I have used this one a few times leaving work on cold morning,
"I was half way home when you guys finished scraping your windows."

"It's just water, I need a shower anyway"

·
IBR# 366
16,582 Posts
DanDiver said:
"Riding in a cage is like watching a movie. Riding on a bike is like being in it."
The original quote came from Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance:

“In a car you're always in a compartment, and because you're used to it you don't realize that through that car window everything you see is just more TV. You're a passive observer and it is all moving by you boringly in a frame.

On a cycle the frame is gone. You're completely in contact with it all. You're in the scene, not just watching it anymore, and the sense of presence is overwhelming.”

― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values

Another favorite Pirsig quote is:

“You are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence in. No one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise tomorrow. They know it's going to rise tomorrow. When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kinds of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt.”

― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts
I'll get there on time or I'll die trying... :D

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Bikers – The destination is the objective of the ride

Riders – The destination is just the excuse to ride

·
Registered
426 Posts
Cars are for people that don't know any better !!! :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
meese said:
I love that book!

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Yet another - I read somewhere but can recall. “Bikers check the weather forecast to see if they’ll ride that day. Riders check the forecast to see what they’ll wear that day for the ride”.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm enjoying some of these. Also enjoy seeing the distinction between "riders" and "bikers". I hate the term biker.
I've said, more than once, that if I ever owned a restaurant, I'd have a sign out front that said: "Motorcycle enthusiasts welcome!
Bikers, not so much."

1 - 20 of 22 Posts