BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if this is true or not. I picked it up from another FORUM. Unfortunately the original source wasn't mentioned. So, for what it's worth, here's the report:

Subject: PRESS RELEASE FOR IMMEDIATE DISTRIBUTION: Motorcycle Checkpoints to begin in March

As many of you know, the State of Georgia received $70,000.00 from the
NSTB for Motorcycle ONLY safety check points. They will stop all motorcycles at these check points.

We were informed by unnamed sources that the check points would start in
early March to coincide with The Daytona Bike Week event. Most points of entry to Florida will be involved.

We are anticipating them to start March 3rd in order to take advantage of the additional flow of motorcycle traffic thru our state.

I was told that the officers conducting the safety check points have been trained in what to check for so be sure you, you paper work and your bike are in order.

We understand that this is just a way to increase revenues, so do all you can to avoid adding to the state funds.

There are many who trailer into Georgia and ride into Florida from here.
You may wish to change your plans and trailer on through to Florida.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
MRF E-MAIL NEWS Motorcycle Riders Foundation
236 Massachusetts Ave. NE | Suite 510 | Washington, DC 20002-4980
202-546-0983 (voice) | 202-546-0986 (fax) | http://www.mrf.org

11NR07 - MRF News Release - Congressman Jim Sensenbrenner, Standout Supporter of Motorcyclists

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE16 February 2011

Contact: Jeff Hennie, Vice President of Government Relations and Public Affairs

Congressman Jim Sensenbrenner, Standout Supporter of Motorcyclists

United States Congressman Jim Sensenbrenner, Jr. (R-WI) has always been a staunch supporter of motorcyclists and this week, he once again went above and beyond the average member of congress.

Sensenbrenner penned a letter to the USDOT last year asking for some clarification on the agency's plan to fund motorcycle-only roadside checkpoints. When the USDOT funded a program in Georgia to the tune of $70,000 before responding to Mr Sensenbrenner’s letter, it ruffled his feathers, so to speak.

The Republican from Wisconsin took another tack and decided to try to defund the program entirely. Sensenbrenner introduced an amendment that would strip all funding for the controversial program. The amendment would make it illegal for the US DOT to use any money to conduct checkpoints or any program to check for helmet useage.

However, the amendment is one of 600 introduced to this particular bill and may not see the light of day. We commend Mr. Sensenbrenner for his defense of motorcyclists and fully understand that the amendment may not receive a vote. We at the Motorcycle Riders Foundation stand by, ready to assist Mr. Sensenbrenner in any way we can.

The MRF will keep you informed on this issue as details develop.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Lynn_Keen said:
... the check points would start in early March to coincide with The Daytona Bike Week event. Most points of entry to Florida will be involved.
Almost can't blame them.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Your papers are NOT in order.....

Ve Vill have to shoot you now. And I vill keep your motorcycle for myself...

Welcome to the Fourth Reicht...

JOhn

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I've seen it on another forum also and have looked into along with others. The warning or statement is indeed posted on the Georgia A.B.A.T.E. web site. But doing it is another story. Yes, the state has received a grant for the training. But, no one I know even knows of anyone who has taken the training yet. BTW, the training is not just for motorcycle safety "checkpoints". Will they get people trained in time for Bike Week? Chances are slim. If you really think of of it, most people coming through Georgia to get to Bike Week are taking I-75 or I-95. Do you really think they're going to be doing this on the interstate? So far as "papers" all you need in Georgia is your MC license and insurance card. Safety items are pretty much looked at on every traffic stop anyway, whether you know it or not. Other than emissions inspections in some areas there are no state safety inspections.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I would be willing to bet that some of the "training" is designed to find unapproved helmets. I think it costs about $5 to buy a DOT sticker to put on anything on your head. Usually a helmet ordinance will have specific definitions of an approved helmet, most of which are not understood by the majority.
My second guess is that there will be equipment involved to mearure exhaust noise - likely targeting Harleys.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
If you're legal there is nothing to worry about, for the rest ,I hope they get their pocketbooks emptied! :p

·
Premium Member
7,801 Posts
pkpr1998 said:
If you're legal there is nothing to worry about, for the rest ,I hope they get their pocketbooks emptied! :p
Gonna have to disagree with you on this, Brett. I never cared for that concept, because it glosses right over so many "rights" issues. More importantly, it's a slippery slope that can lead to other abuses.

Safety checkpoints should be for all vehicles. Singling out bikes, mopeds, or unicycles is not a reasonable use of tax dollars, IMO. Fortunately, the AMA is fighting against this practice.

IIRC these bike-only stops were a major deal at Americade a year or more ago.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,170 Posts
hschisler said:
Gonna have to disagree with you on this, Brett. I never cared for that concept, because it glosses right over so many "rights" issues. More importantly, it's a slippery slope that can lead to other abuses.

Safety checkpoints should be for all vehicles. Singling out bikes, mopeds, or unicycles is not a reasonable use of tax dollars, IMO. Fortunately, the AMA is fighting against this practice.

+1 on what Howard said.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Great, just GREAT!

We've got $10.00 an hour TSA goons groping and X-raying us at airports... "you can trust us that the X-rays are completely harmless!"

We've got cops asking passengers for ID's during routine traffic stops...

We've got "Border Patrol" checkpoints 40 miles away from the border in Arizona...

We've now got motorcycle specific checkpoints...

Anyone who thinks that this country is not turning into a police state is completely out of touch.

My father - who was a career FBI agent - is surely rolling over in his grave. He would have told every officer at these check points to kiss his shiny white ass. (without pulling out his badge)

He believed in the land of the free and the home of the brave. Unfortunately Americans today are turning into absolute subservient sheep. Get some balls people!!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
:wtf: Ron!! That's soooooooooo fricking offensive.
I for one have a set of brass balls, and just as soon as my wife gets home, I'll take them out of her purse and show them to you. Geez. That just hurts. :mad:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I agree with Brett. There are too many Squids and Harley riders who ride like idiots, are not licensed, and put other people at risk.

I keep my registration card, license and insurance card in my wallet. Takes all of five minutes to show them the info. If these idiots stopped drag racing on Main Street or pulling wheels on the Highway, we would all be better off.

Georgia is looking to fill their coffers with these jack-offs money. Better theirs than mine for doing 75 on an empty highway.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
fpmlt said:
:wtf: Ron!! That's soooooooooo fricking offensive.
I for one have a set of brass balls, and just as soon as my wife gets home, I'll take them out of her purse and show them to you. Geez. That just hurts. :mad:
That there is just plain funny.... :rotf:

Almost as good as James Carville saying that "if Hilary Clinton gave Obama one of her balls - they would both have two!" :D

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
RonKMiller said:
Great, just GREAT!

We've got $10.00 an hour TSA goons groping and X-raying us at airports... "you can trust us that the X-rays are completely harmless!"

We've got "Border Patrol" checkpoints 40 miles away from the border in Arizona...

Anyone who thinks that this country is not turning into a police state is completely out of touch.

My father - who was a career FBI agent - is surely rolling over in his grave. He would have told every officer at these check points to kiss his shiny white ass. (without pulling out his badge)

He believed in the land of the free and the home of the brave. Unfortunately Americans today are turning into absolute subservient sheep. Get some balls people!!
Well said Ron. I am glad some one is still thinking AMERICAN here.....

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
pkpr1998 said:
Before we get our little panties in a twit, judging by Brett's emoticon, he appears to be doing some tongue-in-cheek.
RonKMiller said:
Great, just GREAT!

Ron, this may well be your BEST post! :thumb:

Bottom line: whether it be "fake" checkpoints, fake security screening or fake/feel-good legislation ("we only want to keep you safe"), the end results are always the same: you're no safer, but you do have LESS freedom. :(

Funny.....I almost could swear some really old white M/F'er said something like this?
:confused:
RonKMiller said:
....Almost as good as James Carville saying that "if Hilary Clinton gave Obama one of her balls - they would both have two!" :D
Thank you for thinking REALLY "American!" :D
RVB1019 said:
.....Georgia is looking to fill their coffers with these jack-offs money. Better theirs than mine for doing 75 on an empty highway.
This is where your logic falls real flat: They would just as quickly take your money for doing "75" as they would take the pirate's and squid's money. The only "jack-offs" here are the ones milking the check points.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
hschisler said:

Howard, for disagreeing with me you are no longer my friend! :histerica :p

You can buy me a Prime Rib dinner at STC and I will forget all about this thread :D :wave

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
pkpr1998 said:
Howard, for disagreeing with me you are no longer my friend! :histerica :p

You can buy me a Prime Rib dinner at STC and I will forget all about this thread :D :wave
Is Howard allowing anyone else to disagree with him? :D

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,170 Posts
jayjacobson said:
Before we get our little panties in a twit, judging by Brett's emoticon, he appears to be doing some tongue-in-cheek.
Have you ever seen Brett's cheeks??? No way I'd put my tongue there...
Ohhh... you meant face cheeks... Never mind! :eek: Still...:D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts