BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had auto insurance with USAA for about 10 years, and love them. Granted I've never had a claim, but they did help me on a claim with another insurance company when someone else hit me. I pay about $130 a month for 3 cars and 2 drivers, all auto-billed to my USAA account. The only time I ever even thought about insurance was once a year when they automatically emailed me my new ID cards.

Then about a year ago they stopped carrying motorcycle insurance, and farmed it out to progressive. I now pay about the same for my motorcycle insurance as I do for the other three cars combined, and progressive sends me some form to fill out or "additional information needed" letter at least every other month. Not to mention they won't auto-bill the account, and need my manual renewal every six months. Generally I'm not happy with progressive, they seem expensive, and the few times I've had to interact with customer service I would give them low ratings (as compared to USAA).

So who do you guys use? I'm not looking for the cheapo route, but feel like progressive is sticking it to me. I'm looking to just buy one motorcycle insurance; I'll leave my auto policy at USAA. Any opinions???

Anyone know anything about "rider" insurance? Germania? I won't go to Geico just because they inflitrate my life with horrible commercials.

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
Warning - Warning . . .

At the BMWRA rally a couple of lawyers gave a presentation and they were not selling anything
but informing the community of riders of insurance issues and opportunities. My takeaway was
that no matter which insureance company you select - you must have in your motorcyle policy
both: UM and UIM - without these coverages you really do not have protection in the event you
need to use this stuff . . . period!!

I have Progressive and have not experienced any of the issues you have - however I pay my
policy off annually and they were the lowest cost provider in my area - last I checked - go figure!!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I had Farmers. And they got too expensive and cancelled my car insurance after they said I didn't pay the premium. For which I never got a bill. So I went with Allstate .So far I like them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yah. I probably wouldn't carry motorcycle insurance (like in Florida), except for the uninsured motorist/underinsured motorist coverage. I worry about others a whole lot more than I do myself.

R

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have Dairyland and I like the low cost and great customer service.

quote:
Dairyland Cycle®*is underwritten by a member of the Sentry Insurance Group and a recognized leader in the motorcycle insurance industry because of competitive rates, money-saving discounts and commitment to customer service. Through motorcycle insurance offerings, Dairyland Cycle®*strives to provide affordable motorcycle insurance to all types of riders. Dairyland Cycle®*has been insuring bikers since 1966.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
WildernessJeep said:
So who do you guys use? I won't go to Geico just because they inflitrate my life with horrible commercials.
Not a real good excuse to screw yourself in my opinion. I got Geico 5 years ago on my 2002 LT and it was running around $350 a year full coverage. Now its down to around $150, but I've had no claims. Jeep Jeep Jeep! You know what day it is? (sorry, couldn't resist) ;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I recently added my bike to my Progressive policy and thought I would check out Geico. They were less than half, with better coverage. I think I am going to switch.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Me and ole '99 Toad carried Progressive from the git-go in '99. High limits to satisfy Umbrella policy withn USAA. Never filed a claim in 13 years. Yearly premium increases were minimal from a start of about $375. This year, with no explanation, premium went to ~$600. I couldn't get a reasonable answer, nor could my agent. So GEICO matched coverage, limits and deductible and we're golden at close to $300. THEN, we get a Progressive email questionnaire asking why we didn't renew!! Yeh, I know. Auto-generated email. I do have a published phone number! Something has changed over at Progressive and their subsidiaries, I fear.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
amindtat said:
I also have Progressive. I pay them once a year and then never hear from them again until it is time to renew.
+1

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have USAA for my car and Progressive for my bikes. When I first got mc insurance in 2002, Dairyland was cheapest for me. My agent switched me to Progressive on cost after a few years. Regarding service, USAA has exemplary customer service so I think any other company of any type would be hard pressed to match or beat their service. Having said that, Progressive has always done me right. I have had three (maybe four) claims over the years. Each time, Progressive was quick to cut me a check for a proper repair. Because of that, I have never price shopped Progressive. The one time I looked into it (a long time ago) USAA was higher. Reading these comments, I might be tempted to price shop Progressive now, but as it stands, I'm probably about at breakeven for the premiums I've paid vs. the claims I've made.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I had Progressive for about 5 years and they never went down even though the value of the bike did and I never had a claim. I switched to Allstate a couple of years ago due to my agent shopped it on cost.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had State Farm years ago and discovered that Geico was about 900.00 less a year for a couple of cars and a bike. I told my State Farm agent, which I had for many years, that I liked him but not 900.00 worth. Had Geico ever since and I have no complaints. Last year my RT fell over in my garage and did 3000.00 plus in damages. Geico came out to my house and printed my up a check in my driveway. They even paid me to put my new parts on myself. They charge me 202.00 a year for the LT, full coverage, 250.00 deductible, but I do get a discount for insuring 4 bikes, one ATV and my truck.

·
Registered
245 Posts
azccj said:
They charge me 202.00 a year for the LT, full coverage, 250.00 deductible, but I do get a discount for insuring 4 bikes, one ATV and my truck.
Crap. I'm getting screwed.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
When I first insured my LT I added it to my Oppressive auto policy. I got so FREAKIN' sick of FLO and looked elsewhere. By joining AARP I was able to purchase Foremost for less than 1/2 of Opressives rate.

We insure the Bimmers, the F150 and the house through American Family and pay significantly less than O Flo's rate.

Loren

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have USAA but could not use their preferred carrier Progressive because Progressive will not insure in Washington DC. So I went with Foremost because they had the most competitive rates but it was still expensive. No way to get cheap rates in DC--even with a clean driving record and no claims.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Geico for 29 years, no claims.

1994 K1100LT $57.00
1994 R1100RSL $251.00 $250.00 deductible, Comp. $50.00 deductible
1981 R80GS $55.00
2000 K1200LT $175.00 $250.00 deductible, Comp. $50.00 deductible

Annual Total $538.00

No complaints other that the overcharge for the R1100. It's a sport bike you know. Ridden by a 61 year old lady. She is rather sporting actually. :histerica

Robert

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Just switched my '09 RT from Geico to Progressive. Geico Premium was $404.00 to $260 at Progressive for better coverage.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I had Progressive for many years but they became too expensive in Wisconsin. Switched to Auto-Owners Insurance out of Lansing , Michigan.
Much better price and coverage.
For my Yukon, Camry, the KLT with sidecar and the R1200 C, it was $ 480.00 for 6 months.
Of course that includes a discount for also having my home coverage with them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts