BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings;

I've been looking closely at the two helmets which I currently own... One, an Arai, has a notice built into the chin strap which essentially says that the helmet is good for only 5 years from first use or 7 years from date of manufacture. Based upon that I will need to replace it like next year. My second helmet is a Schuberth, C2 I believe, which will be 8 years old very soon.. I've never really worn it much at all so it is essentially new. If the "rule" is correct I should be tossing that one out!!

Is this 5 year stuff for real?? or is it just a ploy to sell more units?

Appreciate your thoughts/experiences.

Joel

·
Registered
533 Posts
This is from the Snell Foundation website,

Why should you replace your helmet every five years?

The five-year replacement recommendation is based on a consensus by both helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five-year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five-year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bob, Looks like I will be helmet shopping! Joel

·
Registered
747 Posts
I agree. The 5 year time frame seams short.

But, a helmet that is 5 or more years old is still better than NO helmet at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts