BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an '07 LT in June and plan on taking it cross country this summer. Any recommendations on good, light weight covers that are easily stowed and take up little area? My preference is something akin to a California Car Cover superweave-type material that I use on my 66 Fastback GT. Also, what size fits best, as none of the boxes they come in really show the dimensions or picture of a big bike with the rear box. Thanks! :cool:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
JNW003 said:
I bought an '07 LT in June and plan on taking it cross country this summer. Any recommendations on good, light weight covers that are easily stowed and take up little area? My preference is something akin to a California Car Cover superweave-type material that I use on my 66 Fastback GT. Also, what size fits best, as none of the boxes they come in really show the dimensions or picture of a big bike with the rear box. Thanks! :cool:
What's the cover for?

Crossed the country north / south and east/west. Never had a need for a cover.

·
Registered
616 Posts
JNW003 said:
I have the Aerostich for my GTL. It's a bit pricey but provides unsurpassed convenience and functionality:
http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-ultralight-bike-covers-4.html

You'll want the large size.

Here's what I wrote about it responding to a question re: using it on a GTL:
The small packed size and light weight ensures that it is always with me when I need it. It is always in my side bag, so it's there for not only for trips but also the unexpected rain if I am somewhere local and don't want a soaked seat when I finish breakfast.

The built-in storage sack is perfect, and it's a snap to stuff the cover in there. (It looks impossible the first time, but trust me, it's so easy even King Klutz can do it.)

You'll want the "large" for the GTL. The front will snug up under the wheel and completely cover the front of the bike. With top case on, it will tuck in nicely under the license plate holder, covering the cans and pegs; just the bottom of the rear wheel is exposed. With the top case off, it will snug up under the rear wheel and cover everything.

It has a built-in drawstring to cinch the cover up tight around the bottom. You'll want to keep a short bungee on hand for extra snugness in case of wind; the cover has eyelets for just this purpose.

Although they are careful not to say that it's waterproof, for my purposes it has proven to be. It would probably leak some if left out for days, but I have never found my bike wet even after some pretty stout overnight rains (and a hailstorm).

Money very well spent IMO.
Here's feature #1:

I would suggest giving them a call for first-hand info on fitment for an LT, if no LT owners here chime in. I would expect it to fit very comparably to how it fits on the GTL with the top box on.

Attachments

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
I use the Dowco Guardian Traveler 1/2 cover when traveling. Packs up very small plus gives good coverage. You will need the X-Large. You can store it on the LT behind the passenger seat back between the seat & top case.

·
Registered
722 Posts
My LT came with a Geza cover. It's a stretchy material. Supposed to be good enough to use on the bike if trailered.
It's a heavy material though very form fitting (like Lycra), but mine has lost it's elasticity. Admittedly, I'm not sure how old the cover is. It could be as old as the bike.

·
Premium Member
2,953 Posts
dukey33 said:
My LT came with a Geza cover. It's a stretchy material. Supposed to be good enough to use on the bike if trailered.
It's a heavy material though very form fitting (like Lycra), but mine has lost it's elasticity. Admittedly, I'm not sure how old the cover is. It could be as old as the bike.
WOW $164.00-$300+

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
I highly recommend the EZ Touring traveller 1/2 cover. Costs about $100.00. I've had it for 5 years and found it to be very durable. It covers all the important parts of the bike and packs up small. It has the perfect amount of coverage for when you are out on a trip. In my opinion the 1/2 size makes it a less attractive item for thieves.

·
Registered
195 Posts
If you want cheap, I've heard that the Ultragard Touring 1/2 cover (for Goldwing) fits the LT pretty well. and it has felt on the inside for the windshield, and it's only $38.00

·
Registered
7 Posts
JNW003 said:

I use this one every day at my work to cover my bike...
Walmart $20 size Large
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Motorcycle-Cover-Large/16817257

·
Cat Herder
1,497 Posts
bob1811 said:
I highly recommend the EZ Touring traveller 1/2 cover. Costs about $100.00. I've had it for 5 years and found it to be very durable. It covers all the important parts of the bike and packs up small. It has the perfect amount of coverage for when you are out on a trip. In my opinion the 1/2 size makes it a less attractive item for thieves.
+1... I used the half cover on my LT and RT

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for everyone's comments to my post from yesterday. I've been really impressed with this site and the wealth of information we can tap in to! I haven't figured out how you guys have been able to post current and past bikes and states visited yet - I can't imagine you have to re-enter this with every post. Thanks again!

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
JNW003 said:
Thanks for everyone's comments to my post from yesterday. I've been really impressed with this site and the wealth of information we can tap in to! I haven't figured out how you guys have been able to post current and past bikes and states visited yet - I can't imagine you have to re-enter this with every post. Thanks again!
Go to "UserPC"
click edit signature
put in what ever info you want for your signature
Click save

GO HERE for a thread on how to put the map into your signature.

·
Super Moderator
1,405 Posts
Own both . . .

Walmart Cover
Pros: Cheap
Cons: Packs out a little large - not really water proof

Geza Cover
Pros: Cool looking
Cons: Pricey - not water proof at all - after a couple of years saggy and baggy

Most all covers will require that you fabricate a hole on them to accomodate the regular bike antenna!!

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
Ole Toad's cover is 13 years old and looks/works as new. Packs small in it's 10"x5" knapsack, easy on/off; no worries on windshield scratching; fits LTs with/without top trunk; ripstop material; elastic bottom hem for snug fit, easy to shake/wipe dew/moisture off exterior. I'd buy another if this one ever croaks!

http://eztouring.com/wanderer.htm

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
+1 on the Geza. I have their Superlightweight for my RT.

Super-Light SeriesSize Application: Available in ALL Sizes. Use: The Super-Light Series is another of our latest offerings. This material was designed for those who spend more time traveling, touring, commuting to work and taking the weekend-end roadtrip where luggage space is at a premium. We have a saying, "no matter how good your motorcycle cover may be, if it is too big to take with you it will stay at home."

The Super-Light Series was born out of the need to create the most packable motorcycle cover possible WITHOUT compromising weather protection and long-term durability. Usually, the lighter and more packable you go, the less protective and less durable the material. At Geza Gear, the exact opposite is true - as you go up in our Fabric Series, the size and weight go down, and the performance, strength and durability go up. The Holy Grail of motorcycle covers now exists!

If your needs are not for high-speed long distance towing, and more for travel and touring, the new Super-Light Series is the one to get!

Depending on the size you need, it can be built with 6 to 12 towing tie-down points along the perimeter of the cover to further secure it when you need to transport your bike.

Ideal for travel and touring. Indoor and daily outdoor use. Moderate towing capability.Material: LX88 Features: Scratch-Proof, Breathable, Double Bonded with Vaporlon Water Repellency, Triple Bonded with UV Inhibitors, Tear-Proof, Portable, Dust-Proof, Towable, Machine Wash and Dry, Lockable. Tow Rating: 95 mph Color: Jet Black Price: $249.95 - Small and Medium Order Now
$284.95 - Large Order Now
$299.95 - X-Large Order Now

·
Premium Member
2,953 Posts
Which ones have a slot/hole/opening for the LT's antenna?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
My wife bought me a cover.
I am using it for the first time this winter. I don't know where it came from but the label says Classic Accessories so I looked up that site and saw one like mine made by Dawco who made the one that I had for my GW. Anyways The material seems durable, it covers the whole bike, but for the antennae. I can't find my wrench to fold it down. There are also slits or vents near the mirrors and the usual linings for windshield and pipes. I'm satisfied. Have not considered taking it on trips.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
476 Posts
bob1811 said:
+1 on this - packs small enough that it fitted between the passenger seat cushion and the top case, but easy to fit, very durable, works very well. Very happy with mine (and I bought it second hand at a lower price too so I'm very happy indeed).

·
Registered
493 Posts
Dick said:
Ole Toad's cover is 13 years old and looks/works as new. Packs small in it's 10"x5" knapsack, easy on/off; no worries on windshield scratching; fits LTs with/without top trunk; ripstop material; elastic bottom hem for snug fit, easy to shake/wipe dew/moisture off exterior. I'd buy another if this one ever croaks!

http://eztouring.com/wanderer.htm
+1 on the eztouring my Traveller half cover is little over 10years old and still going looks good.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts