BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on a search for a way to smoke my favorite hand rolled cigars while on a long trip.

Like most, I have tried just lighting up, and, while you do get in a bit of a smoke the cigar just doesn't burn well and the ashes fly everywhere. I tried drilling a hole in the end of one of those metal cigar tubes but the cigar laid against the side and burned the wrapper up the side of the cigar that touched the side.

The other day while driving the truck and drinking a fast food drink, I thought about how the straw was held in the middle of the lid and how that could solve the problem. My next trip, I cut some slits in the foot of a paper cup and put the cigar through the straw opening. Worked like a champ!!!

As this idea has evolved, I now use a child's "sippy" cup with a soft rubbery lid with mouthpiece. Cut off the mouthpiece just below the moulded valve and cut some openings in the bottle. I cut slits near the base but if were to do it over, I think I would drill holes further up so that the ash could be contained in the bottom. The cigar is pushed through the mouthpiece which holds it in place and keeps the cigar from hitting the side of the bottle resulting in a proper burn of the cigar.

I would only recommend using the "Motorcycle Cigar Smoker" while on the Interstate and plan to add a piece of velcro so I would not have to hold it all the time.

I would be interested in hearing how others have solved the cigar smoking / riding problem.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I quit smoking years ago after a minor heart attack and a year before bypass surgery. I don't recommend smoking. Period.

Just as a matter of personal opinion, I would never, ever, recommend smoking on a motorcyle. If you really need a smoke when riding a motorcyle, I'd suggest stopping and take a break to do so.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Years ago (about 10) I saw motorcycle riders using what appeared to be a glass tube for smoking their cigarettes in the same fashion as you described for your cigars.

Kudos to you for your inventiveness.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
According to the American Lung Association cigar smoking has similar consequences to cigarette smoking including four to ten times the risk of dying from oral, esophageal or laryngeal cancer in comparison to nonsmokers.

In the United States, there will be an estimated 47,500 new cases of head and neck cancer (HNCA) in 2008, with 11,200 people dying from the disease.

It is estimated that 80-90% of all head and neck are caused by tobacco and alcohol use. Tobacco includes cigarettes, cigars, pipes, and smokeless tobacco (chew, dip, snuff, and betel quid). Tobacco users are between 20-40 times more likely to develop head and neck cancer than non-smokers.

Since this is a family friendly web site I'll spare the pictures of throat and tongue cancer.

Not preaching - just stating the facts.

·
Registered
666 Posts
For me, this subject is starting to rank with religion and politics.

I don't think there is a single person in the US that doesn't know that smoking is bad and can cause cancer and kill.

Don't preach to those of us, who either through addiction or choice, continue the habbit.

I'm sure you have some bad habits and skeletons that you don't want preached to about either.

Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'll stop smoking when you stop bombarding me with your second-hand radiation (from your cell phones, etc). :rolleyes:

It's amazing how we attack one thing but fail to understand that vehicle exhaust, emf, etc have consequences on the human body as well. If we are so truly concerned, let's stop everything that could harm ourselves or others.

True story. I was at a restaurant in Miami, waiting outside for a table. The front door is probably 20 feet from the parking lot, where there was a small bench (near the street). I was sitting on the bench and I lit up. About ten feet from me there was a lady with a baby in a baby carrier. She said, "excuse me, do you mind. I have a baby." She had the child carrier right next to the curb on the ground, with cars driving right by. Some people! Need less to say, I kept on smoking.

I'm not an ahole, but at least make sense if you're going to correct me.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
ranks said:
For me, this subject is starting to rank with religion and politics.

I don't think there is a single person in the US that doesn't know that smoking is bad and can cause cancer and kill.

Don't preach to those of us, who either through addiction or choice, continue the habbit.

I'm sure you have some bad habits and skeletons that you don't want preached to about either.

Thanks.
I have a very dear friend who is in the last stages of a very aggressive throat cancer caused by smoking - there is absolutely no doubt what caused it.

If I can help one person from going through the hell he and his family are currently suffering by bringing the facts of smoking to light - instead of glamorizing it like the tobacco industry STILL DOES - then - I'll do it EVERY time.

This topic DOES NOT belong on the LT forum and should be moved to "chit chat."

This forum is resevered for discussion centering on the LT... 'nuff said. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
607 Posts
I believe this thread started out with a motivated cyclist sharing his ideas. Others turned it political.

BTW, My mother in law died 8 years ago from Cancer and was a lifetime smoker. My Brother in law died last week and he too was a lifetime smoker.

I smoke cigars, pipes, and hookahs, very rarely, but I like the fact that I still can if I want to...and I can go to any church too.

Yes, I support out troops.

Yes, I support this thread staying on topic of innovations.

Now...enough said by me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry I contributed to getting off track. Didn't mean to hijack.

That's great that the sippy cup works- very creative. I don't think I could do it myself. The picture in my head of me with a smoking sippy cup in my mouth, riding down the road isn't pretty... in fact, it freaks me out a little. :histerica

I'll wait til I have a 30 minute- 1 hour stop.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
NorwoodD said:
Sorry I contributed to getting off track. Didn't mean to hijack.

That's great that the sippy cup works- very creative. I don't think I could do it myself. The picture in my head of me with a smoking sippy cup in my mouth, riding down the road isn't pretty... in fact, it freaks me out a little. :histerica

I'll wait til I have a 30 minute- 1 hour stop.
Hmmm, since this forum is mostly about two up luxury touring this might work out better: :D :yeah:

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
It is my opinion, that is one of the dumbest things I have ever read on here. The child didnt have a choice. So, does that mean that since you drive and smoke you are twice as much at fault? You probably have a cell phone too. Sounds hypocritical to me.

NorwoodD said:
I'll stop smoking when you stop bombarding me with your second-hand radiation (from your cell phones, etc). :rolleyes:

It's amazing how we attack one thing but fail to understand that vehicle exhaust, emf, etc have consequences on the human body as well. If we are so truly concerned, let's stop everything that could harm ourselves or others.

True story. I was at a restaurant in Miami, waiting outside for a table. The front door is probably 20 feet from the parking lot, where there was a small bench (near the street). I was sitting on the bench and I lit up. About ten feet from me there was a lady with a baby in a baby carrier. She said, "excuse me, do you mind. I have a baby." She had the child carrier right next to the curb on the ground, with cars driving right by. Some people! Need less to say, I kept on smoking.

I'm not an ahole, but at least make sense if you're going to correct me.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
GlennM86 said:
I believe this thread started out with a motivated cyclist sharing his ideas. Others turned it political.

BTW, My mother in law died 8 years ago from Cancer and was a lifetime smoker. My Brother in law died last week and he too was a lifetime smoker.

I smoke cigars, pipes, and hookahs, very rarely, but I like the fact that I still can if I want to...and I can go to any church too.

Yes, I support out troops.

Yes, I support this thread staying on topic of innovations.

Now...enough said by me.
Well, since it seems this thread may have some legs after all..... although I bet it gets moved in 3,2,1.... :think:

Now THIS - is political! :thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
MaverickAR said:
It is my opinion, that is one of the dumbest things I have ever read on here. The child didnt have a choice. So, does that mean that since you drive and smoke you are twice as much at fault? You probably have a cell phone too. Sounds hypocritical to me.
Well, as Ronald Reagan used to say:

“When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”

:deal:

From the American Lung Association:
  • Secondhand smoke is especially harmful to young children. Secondhand smoke is responsible for between 150,000 and 300,000 lower respiratory tract infections in infants and children under 18 months of age, resulting in between 7,500 and 15,000 hospitalizations each year, and causes 430 sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) deaths in the United States annually.
  • The current Surgeon General’s Report concluded that scientific evidence indicates that there is no risk-free level of exposure to second hand smoke. Short exposures to second hand smoke can cause blood platelets to become stickier, damage the lining of blood vessels, decrease coronary flow velocity reserves, and reduce heart rate variability, potentially increasing the risk of heart attack.
NEXT?? :eek:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Smoking like riding a motorcycle is a personal choice both have risks and you can find people that belive both are too dangerous and should NOT be enjoyed.

I do not smoke I don't like it but I will never suggest you shouldn't be able to.

Oh and I have had at least two friends die from lung cancer and several more than that from riding a motorcycle.

Dave

·
Premium Member
7,848 Posts
Taking this in a different direction: I'd like to see a picture of this cigar-smoking contraption. Not that I'd use it (I'm not a smoker), I'd just like to see it. In my mind's eye I can see Rube Goldberg smiling! :)

·
King of the Castle
184 Posts
I'm trying to devise a way to have sex with my wife while driving down the interstate and, oddly enough, it also involves Velcro a sippy cup, and a cigar.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts