BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

How many people already have Bells on their Motorcycles?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive owned several BMW motorcycles in the past several years.
I have noticed on different bikes that people had a small bell attached.......
Is there any special purpose or is just for fun or what?????
Just wondering....... :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
300 Posts
bells

maybe they jus have to have more cow bells. lay down some serious cow bell, you know.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Good Luck

Bells are given by one friend to another to promote good luck..

Some say they scare off the gremlins...Or was it hobgoblins,,, Or was it streebgreeblings..

Doesn't work if you buy your own bell, It has to be gifted...

John

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
And the bell should be mounted as low on the bike as possible. . .

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Yep, mine was given to me

LFranz said:
Ive owned several BMW motorcycles in the past several years.
I have noticed on different bikes that people had a small bell attached.......
Is there any special purpose or is just for fun or what?????
Just wondering....... :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I was told it was for good luck. I guess it'll help get me to Heaven. LOL I know the good luck won't hurt.

I have mine hanging from the tupperware just below and behind the rear brake pedal.

So far( for 17000 miles), it's worked. LOL :D

No dinging noise, it just looks like a shiney little bell. :bmw:

Vern

·
Registered
866 Posts
* Just another one of those superstitious " Harley" things...:)

Hey, they all the help riding they can get riding handicapped bikes.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Check out gremlinbells.com
The legend of the bell tell of the voodoo it lays down on gremlins. It is written that the nasty little things get caught in the bell and thrown to the road so hard that they create potholes. And that's the rest of the story.
Ride free and long.
Terry

I arise in the morning with a desire to save the world and a desire to savor the world. This makes it hard to plan the day! EB White

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
vernvernvern said:
I was told it was for good luck. I guess it'll help get me to Heaven. LOL I know the good luck won't hurt.

I have mine hanging from the tupperware just below and behind the rear brake pedal.

So far( for 17000 miles), it's worked. LOL :D

No dinging noise, it just looks like a shiney little bell. :bmw:

Vern

Yup, mine (also a gift ) has worked fine as well (50000 km and two continents) and still hanging there...:p

Regards

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
it's a marketing gimmick. i had never heard of such a thing and i started riding in 1967. the first i ever saw about it was in a custom motorcycle shop - read harley-davidson - on a bell display. the display had the whole shebang. this bell will keep the gremlins away from you motorcycle. they can't hold on when the bell rings and they will fall off or some such nonsense. i didn't buy a bell for me or anyone else. i don't believe in gremlins. do you? omurphy

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
omurphy said:
i don't believe in gremlins. do you? omurphy
Well of course I do! Just as I believe in Santa Claus. Look, I have never encountered a gremlin, so my bell must be doing what it is supposed to do...:D :D

All the best

·
Registered
699 Posts
omurphy said:
i don't believe in gremlins. do you?

Absolutely! I'm an aircraft guy and I know about gremlins, Fought them all my life. If I knew how to keep a bell attached at Mach 1+ I would have used a lot of them and gotten rid of a lot of gremlins.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Well Bill, you may have to get your wife to get you one of those Air Force bells.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I have a purple elephant avoider bell on my LT...have yet to see a purple elephant yet.....must work.

F

·
Registered
235 Posts
i'm getting a one eyed one horned flying purple people eater horn BELL for my motorsycle so, i won't ever have to look at one of those creepy beasts. omurphy

·
Registered
866 Posts
Just goes to prove that as technologically advanced as we have become,
we are still uneducated and fearful as a species who believe in magic.

I've heard that Prayer to Joe Peschi can work miracles in your life..

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
The legend...

"The mystical story of Freedom Bells

Have you ever wished you could get rid of those nasty road 'surprises' that turn your ride in the wind to a trip where everything goes wrong?

As we all know, life has many mysteries that have no apparent solutions. One of these is Evil Road Spirits. That are the little gremlins that live on your bike. They love to ride. They're also responsible for most of your bike's problems. Sometimes your turn signals refuse to work, or the battery goes dead, the clutch needs adjustment, or any of several hundred things go wrong. These problems are caused by Evil Road Spirits.

Road Spirits can't live in the presence of a bell. The get trapped in the hollow of the bell. Among other things, their hearing is supersensitive. The constant ringing of the bell and the confined space drives them insane. They lose their grip and eventually fall to the roadway (Have you ever wondered how potholes are formed?) The bell has served its purpose.

If you have picked up a bell of your own, the magic will work. But if your bell was given to you, the power has been doubled, and you know that somewhere you have a special friend helping to look after you.

So, if you have a friend that doesn't have a bell, why not be the person to give them one? It's a nice feeling for the recipient to know you personally cared. The bell, plus a good preventative maintenance program by the bike's owner, will eliminate the Evil Road Spirits.

-As Reported in Thunder Press"
(Grammar errors are theirs)

This is on the tag of one I purchased a year ago.

Yes, it's fun marketing...but the real bottom line is that it's a way to show someone you care about them, and as far as "farkles" go, they're only about $8 or so.

On September 14th, Rick Humphries, myself, 12 other cops and 14 civilians took police motorcycles from the "Factory" at Juneau Avenue, Harley Mecca, and rode them to ground Zero in a day and a half. Each motorcycle had a sterling silver bell attached to the frame, just behind the right floorboard, so that the police officer who received the bike (which was given because in the chaos after the disaster, motorcycles were able to move around a lot easier than Crown Vics...) would have the extra "blessing" of someone caring about them.

On that ride, I brought one of my own as well, which later hung on my R1150RT, which I crashed but walked away from, miraculously, and after a special friend completed MSF training and purchased her first motorcycle, I attached it to HER bike.

Do gremlins exist?

Nahhh.

But it's nice to have a little reminder every time your engine is off and you jiggle the bike and hear a jingle says that someone cares about you.

One given to me in return currently hangs on the end of my throttle, even though the proper protocol is to hang it as low to the ground as you can, because once in a while, when I'm really struggling with things, flicking that bell when I feel really alone in the world lets me know that someone cared enough to give me that token piece of sterling that said "I want you to be safe."

So are riding bells stupid? Don't know, you decide.

$.02

Pete

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Pete,
I never realized that a bell question would generate such results.
Thanks for your reply!!

LFranz

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
At Warner-Robbins Air Force Museum we came across the display of the "Lucky Bells of San Michelle" worn by crew members of Bombers during WWII. I would guess that is the begining of the bells idea and also of warding off gremlins.

They didnt get into much of the history or the tradition, only displayed some bells and told of the wearing of them for luck.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 57 Posts