BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting ready to do a oil change service on my 1999 LT with 88K miles and found the dreaded rear main seal leak. After taking off the tupperware, it appears that I have other issues going on at the front of the engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
It does look like you have a few things happening there. Is your clutch slipping yet? If not, I might try and drill the weep hole in the bottom of the bell housing and see how much oil you get out. The added drainage might give you some additional time to worry about the repair.

As for the front, it is all along the bottom edge. I would clean it up and see if any of the cover bolts are lose and watch if to see where it is coming from to make sure it isn't coming from up top from a cracked breather tube dumping oil on the top of the engine and then running down. It is going to be a bit of work though.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,358 Posts
I agree a thorough clean up is in order to get the real picture of what is leaking. It could be leftovers from sloppy oil changes, but the timing cover does appear to need a re-seal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts