BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 and 2002 K1200LT and I was wondering if I could put in a chip or something to get more horsepower like the 2005. Go from 97 to 116.

Thanks Mike

·
Registered
876 Posts
The '05 and later engines have higher compression ratio, so that's 1 physical difference that exists between the 2 engines, I presume that the cams will be slightly different as well, among other things (which others on the forum will know I'm sure). So I would say any performance chip will be some type of compromise rather than being able to simply "dial up" more power. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
876 Posts
The engine displacement is the same, but the pistons will either be different on the tops, or the cylinder head combustion chambers will be different, or a combination of both. That being the case, with unleaded fuel and electronic engine management systems, it is highly likely there are numerous other subtle differences in order to maximise the output while still having a "friendly' engine. some of these will be in the computer, others will be physical.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts

·
Cat Herder
1,536 Posts
Don't forget that with any software or engine mod you will need a new exhaust system as well... That's another $1k

·
Registered
876 Posts
Just be mindful that in many cases money can be spent, the end result being your bike makes more noise, sounds cool, runs nice, possibly uses slightly more fuel, but does not make any more power. The reason ? BMW are known for getting it right regarding the balance between quiet operation and maximum power output. Going back to the K100 as an example of the first in the K series, there were numerous after-market exhausts made for them, all dyno tested and compared against the original stock unit,................. none made any more power overall, but almost all were noisier in varying degrees. Those exhausts did have 1 benefit though, they were all lighter than stock. Motad for example, saved 4.5 kg's, I know, I had one. Leave it stock and enjoy it. If you want more power, buy a K1600GTL perhaps. My opinion, others may differ in their views of course.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Mikerrrr said:
I have a 2000 and 2002 K1200LT and I was wondering if I could put in a chip or something to get more horsepower like the 2005. Go from 97 to 116.

Thanks Mike
Mike,

Dig deep in the archives here for posts about the combination of a Rhinewest chip and Remus exhaust. That was a combo that several folks did several years ago. And if memory serves me, the folks at Rhinewest had some dyno data that indicated an increase in hp. However, I doubt that it had the same gains seen in the change by BMW in 2005.
Here's a link to information in the Technical section of this board; scroll down to performance stuff: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?faq=accessories_faq#faq_accessories_faq_performance

(You can also get to this page by clicking on "Technical" on the bar at the top of this page, then "accessories", then "performance".)

In my opinion, this is an old tech solution to an old problem, and wouldn't be a cost effective solution to the search for more power. However, not everything is about cost, sometimes we do stuff for the fun of it, practicality aside.

Some folks liked the louder sound of the Remus exhaust, others later took it off, not liking the sound.

(I am not sure about the current availability of either of these two products; they may turn up on the used market.)

Hope the helps,
Have fun.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
No. :D

...and I've ridden both, I think there may have been a few more ponies on the '05 and later, but it never felt like 116... that's a 20% increase and quite a kick in the pants.

The Remus pipe was irritating - especially at cruise and enough to induce a lot of noise related stress - many went back to OEM.

You can chip and pipe all you want, the size of the fuel injectors are the limiting factor on the Brick.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to everyone. I thought that there might be a easy fix but I can see not. the bike is fast enough. On the 2000 I put a tow pac kit on for my wife and 2002 I drive. Best motorcycle I ever had.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,534 Posts
I gotta ask with the low number of posts - Have you explored the world about 5,000 RPM? She is a different beast there for sure. Remember first gear is good all the way to 62 MPH then you can shift. Just checking.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Maybe Charlie VT can change out the final drive gears to get more out of the bottom..lol.
Or buy a smaller rim and tire? :rotf:
Yep..actually mine seems to come on pretty good after 4k even..but 5..hang on!
I did see 63 gps out of first before the rev limiter stopped that chit..lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts