BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I rode two up yesterday, and bottomed out the frame around a corner (not a twisty). Now to explain: we are each 250 lbs+. The spring was turned all the way to high, and I was 36 in the front and 44 in the rear. We were not carrying anything else and the speed was under 20mph. What can we do to prevent the bike from bottoming out again, other than the obvious (lose weight, Ohlins shock) ? We like riding together, but not if it destroys the bike! And we can't get her a bike yet.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The first time the wife & I rode our 06 LT home it bottomed very easily, then I found this site and read most people run 42 front & 46 to 48 rear. I pumped up the tires and that gave me the clearance needed, although with the electro centerstand you do lose some cornering ability. Add more air and you will be amazed.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
You mention the 2 things that will avoid this problem; tire pressure has nothing to do with it. The stock suspension on the LT is undersprung for most riders 1-up with a small load. Getting a set of aftermarket shocks that are sprung adequately for you will help alleviate this problem. Weight loss works as well (take it from a guy who dropped 90 pounds and had to recalibrate his Ohlins).

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
We'll bottom out coming in our driveway with one of those curved curbs (we're both just shy of 200 lbs). But I think I finally figured out what's scraping. The previous owner installed a skid plate. BUT it a large rounded one and sits behind the oil sump and in front of the center stand. It really doesn't appear to be protecting anything other than the center stand. It also looks to be designed for a bike with the electric center stand. I guess I'll put some masking tape where I think it's scraping to confirm it.

Now I did hear something a few weeks ago in some of the curves when we went up on the Dragon but I think I know why that happened. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Think twice about removing the skid plate. BMW started putting them on in 2000 and would upgrade the 99s for free because people would bottom out the center stand on speed bumps and some broke the transmission housing. It's there for a reason.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Losing weight and adding aftermarket shocks are the permanent solutions,
however there is something that you can do "temporarily".

Since your bike is a 2002 the fluid in your shock has probably been squeezed out over time,
you might try adding some fluid,

its pretty simple, just take all the tension of before you do,
one thing you'll probably notice immediately is that it will go on the centerstand easier because it sits higher.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
NO I didn't want to remove the plate, just confirm where it's scraping. The wieight loss part is already underway. I've already done the top off of the shock fluid here and yes now that I think of it, it did go up on the centerstand easier. But my rear shock isn't even halfway cranked down right now, so next is to crank it down a bit more.

I think I had also seen that there are 2 different skid plates? Ones for bikes with the "Manly" centerstand and one for bikes with the electric centerstand?

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
blueknightga6 said:
I think I had also seen that there are 2 different skid plates? Ones for bikes with the "Manly" centerstand
and one for bikes with the electric centerstand?
You are correct that there are two different skidplates 99-04 and 05 and later
because of the "more sophisticated" centerstand.

However if you think it is more Manly to heave the big girl up on the stand rather than push the button,
just think of "what a stud" you could be with a kickstart only motorcycle! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
SilverBuffalo said:
You are correct that there are two different skidplates 99-04 and 05 and later
because of the "more sophisticated" centerstand.

However if you think it is more Manly to heave the big girl up on the stand rather than push the button,
just think of "what a stud" you could be with a kickstart only motorcycle! :)
I had to joke about the "manly" centerstand. But yes, my first 2 bikes had kickstarters. The second one had both electric and kickstart!

Hans, I have the skid plate in the first image with the less parts. So I'm assuming I have the right one for an '02.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
blueknightga6 said:
Hans, I have the skid plate in the first image with the less parts. So I'm assuming I have the right one for an '02.
Sounds like you've got the right one,
I still limp once in a while in remembrance of a kickstart only Harley,
I was "such a stud" in the early 70's that I pulled all the electric start gear of my 66FLH,
that included swapping out the transmission case and main shaft in order to run the earlier "tin" primary,
cause "a real man" didn't need electric start. :rolleyes:

You might say: I've mellowed with age. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
blueknightga6 said:
I had to joke about the "manly" centerstand. But yes, my first 2 bikes had kickstarters. The second one had both electric and kickstart!

I always make a point of not trying to out-manly anyone who has to carry a gun for a living. And I am not so sure that the centerstand debate should define one's manliness, anyway. Anything that has 50-50 odds of either pulling your back or dropping the big bike should be outlawed. I don't dance with snakes either. Just the Dragon!

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
BigH501 said:
How involved/difficult is it to check and add fluid to the rear shocks ?
You are NOT adding fluid to the "shocks" - and there is only ONE rear shock on an LT.

You are adding fluid to the pre-load adjuster and ANY hydraulic fluid (like hydraulic jack oil you can buy at a hardware store) will be just fine.

http://seatrider.org/techntips/rear%20shock%20preload.htm

You may want to spend some time perusing the Technical section above - there is lots of good stuff there... ;)

·
Registered
910 Posts
I found it here..

Shock fluid thingy tech

Just did mine about a month ago, it bought some, albeit very little height..

Time for some new ones, how and where can some decently priced aftermaerket shocks or do i need to start a new thread//?

<<<<is a big boy as well.

mikey

·
Registered
910 Posts
Missed it by a minute. WOw Ron, your Fasssssst! :D

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
VaBeachLT said:
My wife and I rode two up yesterday, and bottomed out the frame around a corner (not a twisty). Now to explain: we are each 250 lbs+. The spring was turned all the way to high, and I was 36 in the front and 44 in the rear. We were not carrying anything else and the speed was under 20mph. What can we do to prevent the bike from bottoming out again, other than the obvious (lose weight, Ohlins shock) ? We like riding together, but not if it destroys the bike! And we can't get her a bike yet.
Hyper Pro springs and adding oil to the rear pre-load adjuster will help. Depending on your mileage you probably should consider after market shocks since it is a 2002.

Almost all of the bitching on this site about the shocks has to do with the weak tit springs the factory installs. If you don't increase the diameter of the spring coils no high tech shock - for any amount of money - is going to help.

·
Premium Member
7,595 Posts
VaBeachLT said:
Given that the gross weight of an LT is about 1320 lbs and the empty weight about 760, you have only 560 lbs of capacity to start with. Add in 6+ gallons of fuel and you are down to about 520. Add oil, coolant, etc. and you probably have only about 500 lbs of payload. If you and your wife weigh more than this (and it sounds from the + that you do), then you are overloading the bike before you add any luggage or other equipment. This is probably not a good idea for either handling or longer term reliability.

You should definitely consider adding some additional tire pressure with 42/48 being recommended by many and what I've used with good results. You also probably need after market suspension components as I can easily drag my centerstand on my 07 LT and my wife and I weigh less than 400 lbs combined.

So, I would say that your idea about losing weight is definitely the "win-win" solution!

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
haughty said:
Time for some new ones, how and where can i get some decently priced aftermarket shocks
You can't. There is nothing decent about the price of any of them. Just give them your custom specs, tighten your rectal sphincter, lay down the credit card, and soon it will all be over.(you might even schedule your colonoscopy that week for the full effect) After about 40 miles with your new suspension you'll wish you'd done it months or even years earlier! In addition to the extra payload you'll find the bike handling characteristics monumentally improved.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Tallyho said:
tighten your rectal sphincter, lay down the credit card, and soon it will all be over.(you might even schedule your colonoscopy that week for the full effect) After about 40 miles with your new suspension you'll wish you'd done it months or even years earlier! .

DOne which one, _______or the tighten the sphincter? :D

Oh its the same effect as you said :D
LMAOooo

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
You can go for 42 front and 50 rear for your configuration.
VaBeachLT said:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts