BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The loss of one acquaintance in the motorcycle riding community is one too many; the loss of two, in the span of one week, is more than doubly difficult to bear. However, after witnessing first-hand, the lengthy run-up to the moment of passing, that event in both cases is best described as 'a blessing'. I'm referring to two local area riders - Bert in San Antonio, whom I mentioned in my other "Memoriam" article; and Monte in Kerrville, which this one is about.

Many of you know Monte, having met him at various CCR events over the past several years. A lot of you know him by his presence on these forums. And I and many others in the South Central Tejas region, were fortunate to hang with him at many area RTEs; at many 'meet/greet/help the rider passing thru on IH-10' events; and at the +/- ten year span of way-many, very early morning Friday Kaffeee Klatches at the Leon Springs *$$. Great times all.

And of course, many of you have read my postings about Monte's adventures with his kidney removal, the developing cancer that required 4 brain surgeries, and the rounds of Cyber Knife/Gamma Knife; MRIs and CTscans, and chemotherapy over the past 4 years. Herculean through all of that was Monte --- even to the point of buying a Piaggio MP3 motorbike one week after a surgery and riding the snot out of it - he loved to ride. Fast forward to about a month ago, when the doctors told him that they've just about done all they know to do, and recommended he look into Hospice care. He and Debbie did that; used Hospice care at home on a couple of occasions when he needed their services, and after he began walking with a cane and then a seat-in walker. Debbie knew the thing to do was to get Monte into the Palliative Ward at F'burg hospital, where he could receive 24/7 attention under doctor ordered preventive-pain care. Just knowing he was relieved of pain was a blessing for Debbie (and she is pretty stalwart when it comes to pain, as she sees it day in/day out in her profession), plus realizing she couldn't stay awake 24/7 to handle things when he fell, or wandered in a dis-oriented state, or complained of severe headaches and the beginnings of vision loss. So, a week or so ago, that's where he was moved to.

So early today, sitting with Dave and Kathy Moore at World Kaffeee Klatch Hqtrs (now Einstein's) I get the call from Debbie that Monte passed peacefully around 1:00 am this morning. More details will follow, as arrangements are made soon for a Memorial service. In the meantime, Dave has posted a thread regarding Monte, wherein he requested anyone who might have pictures of Monte to please send him a copy. Debbie will sincerely appreciate whatever Dave arranges in the way of a photo compendium. Thanks in advance.

Rest in peace, Monte Rogers, and may God bestow serene and calming blessings to Debbie.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Godspeed Monte.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Thank you Dick, a very nice write up.

·
Registered
411 Posts
RIP, Monte, and thanks to Dick for keeping us informed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Monte and I had some great times and great rides together over the years. Big Bend, Eureka Springs on our FJR's a couple of times and 4 CCRs. He was a great friend to me. We shared a lot of laughs. He truly loved to ride more than anything else. I will miss you Monte. My prayers are with Debbie and all of their family.

Mike Watts

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don't post here often anymore but do lurk occasionally. Sorry to hear of Monte's passing, he was a good man who loved to ride. I've sent a hi-rez version of the attached photo to Dave but thought the rest of you might enjoy it as well. It was taken in April 2003 at the old mill on Lange's Rd near Doss. We were out for one of those "going nowhere in particular" rides on a nice day and stopped to check out the mill. As I recall, Monte had just repaired the left side bag on his LT and dropped it on the same bag on that day. I kidded him that maybe he should look into having zip-on bags installed and he took it with his customary good humor.

He'll be missed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Thanks Dick and thanks to all for their thoughts. Monte was a stalwart friend and fellow rider. Here's a few from my camera.

The trailer pic is my former LT being loaded on Monte's trailer after a final drive failure somewhere on I-10. We were coming back from Big Bend. I limped into Ozona and Monte flew home to Fredericksburg and came back with his trailer to rescue me hours later. There's nothing he wouldn't do to help you if he could.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
Myra and I wish you Godspeed, Monte, to a place where the roads are all smooth and the curves banked just right.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
So sad. Monte took me on a wonderful ride to see several cemeteries where Texas Rangers were interred. Wonderful guy.

- Bob

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Only knew Monte about 2 years, but what a nice guy. And the way he faced his illness was truly heroic. Prayers go out to his family, especially Debbie, for comfort & peace. ....what Dick said.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
More prayers sent out to Debbie as I read this.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Monte has embraced His Lord, Jesus Christ...

May the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, Rest in Peace...

God willing, we'll see you there!

Pray for us, Monte....

God bless your family, Monte...

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
He'll be missed by many. RIP Brother.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
I'll be in the U.P. of Michigan at my Nephew's wedding but will have y'all in my thoughts & prayers. I know the southcentral clan will be well represented.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Prayers sent to Debbie and all the family. Monte was a special man and will be missed!

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
As many folks have already said, Monte was truely a nice guy, and easy to talk to. Our aquaintence is limited to those CCR's and a few trips to the great state of Texas for some RTE's. but all memories of Monte are fond indeed. Just like has already been offered here, Prayers go out to Monte's family, especially Debbie. I am currently on the road, or I would search for any pics I may have of this great friend of ours.
Ride on Monte, ride on!

John

1 - 20 of 28 Posts