BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leaving Sat. 5/26 from Eastern Iowa to Missoula MT. area, No real destination just 4 bikes on a 8 day ride. Most likely ride I-90 through most of South Dakota then make our own way on two lane. Just looking for suggestions of good motorcycle roads in that area, or anything to avoid. We really don't have a route plan, usually whatever looks good on the map

·
Registered
126 Posts
I highly recommend going thru Yellowstone and taking the Beartooth hiway. Cooke City which is just outside the North entrance is a nice lunch stop and the last gas for quite awhile. Enjoy the trip

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Better keep an eye on the weather before planning Beartooth this early in the year http://www.beartoothhighway.com/
If that doesn't work out look at Lolo Pass and US Route 12 in Idaho. The river should be roaring with snow melt. Take a camera.
Once you get off the highway it's all good!

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
If you're final destination is going to be Missoula, you'll want to route your trip so you go through Glacier NP (Gong to the Sun Road) in the NW corner of MT. From there, you can drop straight down along the Flathead to Missoula. Very nice riding.

+1 on Beartooth...it could be very sketchy this early in the year. You'll definitely want to check out the forecast before proceeding up to the pass, as conditions at the top of the pass can get very nasty, very quickly. I've ridden through a blizzard in mid-June up there (roads were still dry), but have had to turn around a couple of times because it just wasn't safe to proceed.

Montana has wonderful riding...have a great trip!

·
Registered
637 Posts
You may want to consider taking an alternate to I-90 across South Dakota. This boring ride can be replaced with US 14, US 12 (which is a very nice ride), or even US 212.

In MT consider MT 200 Chief Joseph highway although it is a long ways up to the NW corner of MT.

Have a good safe trip!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the great road info. It makes route planning a little easier when you know what roads are preferred. Again thanks for the responses

·
Registered
108 Posts
All these pointers are very good. Amen to Avoiding I90. Go through Wy over the Big Horn Mountains to Cody then north on Chief Joseph to Beartooth. You wont regret it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts