BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any expierience with a Monogo trailer?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Re: Trailers

Never heard the name. Where are they made and are they tent trailers or cargo trailers?

Bill
05 K1200LT

·
Registered
6,285 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts

I've had one since August 2006 for my 1991 Honda ST1100. They are manufactured and sold by "Michel" from a small town east of Montreal. Since they're not US DOT compliant, no shipping is allowed to the US. It was a "ride-in" experience for me - from SC to Montreal and back...

I was interested only in one-wheel trailers back then and researched all of them at the time, including the ever-popular Uni-go. I ultimately ended up picking the Monogo for the following reasons:
1. capacity - the Monogo has slightly larger capacity than the Unigo - in addition, it's length made carrying longer items a non issue.
2. cost - back then, with the favorable exchange rates, the Monogo was significantly less expensive than the Unigo.
3. durability - back then, I was planning on touring Alaska on my '95 Triumph Tiger and was looking for a trailer that could handle rough roads, etc. - the Monogo fit the bill as Michel also sells it in other configurations and the higher ground clearance would be an asset.

Michel makes these in a small shop and then has a machinist/fabricator located several miles away make a custom hitch for your particular bike.

The transaction went fine - the only problem was that it was miscommunicated to me about how long it would take the fabricate the custom hitch - led to me being "stranded" in a French-speaking campground overnite without the bike.

I use the Monogo roughly 2-3 times a year - normally when touring 2-up or camping solo.

I have had issues with the trailer "wagging" behind me at speeds above 65 mph - very disconcerting as it causes the bike's rear end to "wag" as well. I've spoken to Unigo owner and they reported the same issue - to the point that they eventually sold it - may be
inherent to the design perhaps.

Now that I have the LT, I'm faced with a dilemma - do I configure it for the Monogo or do I buy a 2 wheel trailer like a Bushtec? My wife & I sorely miss the extra room that the Monogo affords...based on my experience with the Monogo, it's not worth making another trip up to Canada to get a custom hitch built for it - Michel does sell/ship the hitch components so I could get a fabricator here in SC to build one. However, I've just acquired Bushtec hitches for both the LT & ST - but, the prices on Bushtecs, even used, may force me to wait a little longer....

·
Registered
23 Posts

:rotf: I bought one of these last year. It's great. The wheels are set back and the tongue is quite long which makes it extremely stable at speed. I packed lot of stuff in there. It comes with 3 chrome wheels, a rear bumper and a cooler rack. I paid the extra and bought a swivel hitch, as I felt that if I layed the bike over (unheard of on an LT, right?) the swivel would not put strain on the hitch and twist it. I put 15000 km on it last year and not an ounce of trouble. It's a great price at under a grand.The only thing I noticed is a feathering of the tires.-May be an axle alignment problem. I would expect to change them every two years anyway.
http://www.piggybacker.com

·
Premium Member
693 Posts

There is also another Canadian mnufacturer, they are in Alymer, Ontario, called the "Third Wheel". If you google Third Wheel Trailers you will find their website. I almost bought one, but decided I needed the room a bigger trailer provided.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts