BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the skirts off to give the girl a brake and clutch flush and look what I saw underneath. What do the fortune tellers predict is in my future?

While I have the skirts off, any other suggestions on fluids to flush or things to check?

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,899 Posts
Well the first thing I would suggest is just clean it up really good then keep an eye on it. My 05 looked like that once and it never returned after the clean up. Also I have a friend that has an 02 that looks like that all the time and he has been driving it for three years waiting for the clutch to slip so we can fix it. Just play it by ear.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I took the skirts off to give the girl a brake and clutch flush and look what I saw underneath. What do the fortune tellers predict is in my future?

While I have the skirts off, any other suggestions on fluids to flush or things to check?

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
Mine looks like that also I run synthetic oil right now I am going to try switch to dino oil and I run my oil to the very top of the window glass now Going to run that half way up or less and see what happens Clutch does not slip at ALL
By the way do you have oil dri (kitty litter) on the top of your protection plate or you do a lot of gravel roads:wink:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Take a look at the quick connect fittings on the fuel lines while the tupperware is off to be sure they are updated. Also consider changing fuel filter, air filter and coolant. All can be serviced rather easily while you are in this far.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the first thing I would suggest is just clean it up really good then keep an eye on it. Just play it by ear.
I like your advice John...ride until failure. I bought a can of degreaser and will give the area a good cleaning. Hopefully I have the same results you and your friend experienced.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine looks like that also I run synthetic oil right now I am going to try switch to dino oil and I run my oil to the very top of the window glass now Going to run that half way up or less and see what happens Clutch does not slip at ALL
By the way do you have oil dri (kitty litter) on the top of your protection plate or you do a lot of gravel roads:wink:
I suspect most of the pebble debris came from a detour down a sandy southern Alabama country road. I didn't believe the warning signs the road was closed 15 miles ahead me, and I didn't want to back track once I found out the signs were telling the truth (bridge closed). I used the detour option on Ms Garmin and she routed down a road that I should have never been on with the LT (banjo music). The first two miles were easy, the next two miles were "if I drop the bike I'm royally screwed."

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Take a look at the quick connect fittings on the fuel lines while the tupperware is off to be sure they are updated.
Here's a photo of the disconnects. Based on older threads, it looks like the previous owner had the OEM fittings replaced. Correct?

By the way, if any of you semi-new LT owners are worried about your skills to bleed the brakes and clutch, don't be. Watch Kurt's video on the Northern Illinois Motorad Club website and go for it. Longest part of the job was removing and reinstalling the Tupperware.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Well, the previous owner did have the original disconnects replaced, but with a straight tube instead of quick disconnects (QDs). QDs are nice as they make it much easier to take the tank off when changing air and fuel filters or other more elaborate procedures. Some riders have used newer BMW QDs (one side is metal, the other plastic?), or Beemer Boneyard, or Jiffy Tite metal versions.

John Zeiler also produced a DVD on brake line flushing. I used both his and Kirk's videos when I did mine.

Tupperware removal & reinstalls are time consuming and make me better plan out maintenance procedures so I can kill as many birds at one time, and that's why I'm currently postponing work on a radio repair. :bmw:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Also get a really bright flashlight and look at the top of the engine to see if that is where your oil is coming from. If you look straight down between or around the front fork you can see where the throttle bodies connect with the top of the motor. When the rubber boots here begin to get loose you can end up with some oil suctioned up and blown out on top of the motor. Mine got pretty messy when I had two boots give out. Given the age of our bikes this is pretty common.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When the rubber boots here begin to get loose you can end up with some oil suctioned up and blown out on top of the motor. Mine got pretty messy when I had two boots give out. Given the age of our bikes this is pretty common.
Thanks Steve. I'll take a close look the next I have the left side Tupperware off. I degreased the underside earlier today and will keep an eye on the area.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I looked under her after riding home from work. She is definitely weeping at the seal. There's a 117,000 miles on the original clutch so I have nothing to complain about when I finally have to go in for repairs.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Here's a photo of the disconnects. Based on older threads, it looks like the previous owner had the OEM fittings replaced. Correct?

By the way, if any of you semi-new LT owners are worried about your skills to bleed the brakes and clutch, don't be. Watch Kurt's video on the Northern Illinois Motorad Club website and go for it. Longest part of the job was removing and reinstalling the Tupperware.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
Rob, my Y2k model has the same plastic hose barbs, not QDs. I know mine is original. I'm not sold on the QDs at all. I don't remove the tank often enough to warrant them. If i change anything i will replace the plastic barbs with brass.

Robert

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
If your clutch isn't slipping yet, I would drill the weep home in the bell housing and see what comes out. Letting it accumulate might hasten the contamination. It can hold a good bit of oil.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts