BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, I really have a problem paying someone big bucks to turn a wrench. Now, I can change plugs, brake pads, fluids, tires, etc. I can remove fairings, and all other assorted tupperware.
I am currently performing my bike's 36,000 mile service. I bought the girl with 28,000 last November. I have a service manual. I know how to read and look at the pictures.
I need to know what is MoDiTeC and how important (and expensive) is it to have whatever this is done at a dealer?
I am assuming it is some sort of computer that reads all things "bad" that have happened to your machine...and the results probably mean puttin' her in the shop?
I hate to be skeptical....I just can't help myself.
Any and all info is appreciated.
Ride Safe!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,341 Posts
Unless you have a problem you don't need the MoDiTeC. I know one of the service requirements is to hook it up and look for stored fault codes. Also if this has the integral brakes they like you to have it perform a "bleed" test following the brake flush.

An alternative is to aquire a GS-911 unit that is an aftermarket code reader. There is a registry lited here on this site of users that have one by geographic area, and are willing to read codes for other members. The GS-911 will not do the "bleed" test but many of us who have done full flushes have not had any problems following the flush.

Here is the link:
GS-911

Looks like I am the closest.

·
Registered
461 Posts
From what I have read ,MoDiTeC is used to read trouble codes ,calibrate the fuel gauge .
Is there a problem with your bike ?
Does it run as it should ? ie missing ,stumbling ,idle problems
How is the gas mileage ? should be maybe 38 MPG running hard to 49MPG two up 70MPH highway cruising
If all the above is ok then just pull prescribed maintenance and ride ,ride and ride some more!
I thought my O2 sensor was bad and it was ,it was easer and cheeper to just replace than to take to the dealer and hook up to the MoDiTeC .

Bob G
99Lt

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the bike is running very well. I average around 50 mpg with a mix of city stop-and-go as well as some of the beautiful rolling hills around Lexington, KY.
I wasn't sure if this MoDiTeC was a required check for anything that could damage the bike.
Thanks for the info.
Ride Safe!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts