BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. First post, been a lurker here before and since I picked up my 2010 RT last August.
I have the low suspension low seat single piece version bike. I have been enjoying the bike immensely save the inferior stock seat.

I recently purchased a BMW comfort seat(zero km on it since, still winter here in Alberta) and I know that I can get the rear portion of the comfort seat heated, but the bike did not come with the seat heat controller option on the right handle bar, so I am wondering if the harness can be modified to heat both portions of the seat with the single switch on the side of the seat? The dealer says that the rear will be heated, but I would prefer if the front portion of the seat was heated or even better both at the same time. I mostly ride solo, but I am trying to encourage my wife to ride with me again so I would like her to be comfy with heat too.

Thanks!
Rod

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'm sure it could be re-wired to switch both front and rear from that switch. I'd look into exactly how much current it draws to be certain the wires and switch are capable of handling both.
If I were doing it I'd look for a different solution run from the battery (or your accessory fuse box) and switched somewhere else. I'd cut the BMW plugs off the seat side and solder a couple SAE plugs onto the wires or buy a couple of the BMW plugs (surely more expensive, though).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I presented my issue with BMW as well, and got a response back:

"...you will need to get a relay and splice it into one of the headlight wires along with the seat cables. This will prevent the battery from getting drained when the bike is turned off. Our BMW tech has done this before several times and stated that if you are not familiar with the electrical a lot can go wrong. It certainly is possible but you just need to be cautious with the install...."

I thought I'd share this just in case there is someone else trying to do the same thing in the future. For me, it looks like a trip to the dealership as I don't want to tackle this myself.

Rod

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
They are basically saying just install a fuse block with a supply relay and trigger the relay from some power source that turns on when the bike ignition does. There are several threads on that here and other sites. Once your fuse block is in, hook your seat heaters to it via switches of your choice. Then hook up your other needs such as GPS or un regulated out put plug, lights, etc.. There are kits for this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts