BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone able to take a final drive off a rice burner and modify it to work on a 2000lt? Is there a way to do this or modify the final drive to a more updated final drive??

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Interesting idea. But for me, as easy as it was to either just remove or remove and rebuild, I'd think it best to stick with what's there. After my last "look-see", where I found my retaining ring cracked, I'm a firm believer in a pre-emptive inspection and / or rebuild - by someone that knows what they're doing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe my question is more like, has anyone modified a 2000 lt final drive to make the shimming process go away and have a more bullet proof final result. I.e. C.V. cages on a 930 porsche turbo being made of Chromoley to keep from breaking from the extra power?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,911 Posts
Your best (and cheapest) bet is to pull it apart - get a new bearing ($80.00) and shim it correctly. Then you will have no troubles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool, thanks. It is like most things on bikes, keep up on the maintance and check it out before every trip and each week. I had my first shaft drive on my last bike which was a 08 kawi. concours 14. I put 32k on it in two years and had no issues. Reading all these threads about this issue makes my jaw drop. Im going to learn how to do the work and do it right. I will do most work except tear down an engine so from what I have seen it looks like no problem. Thanks Don

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Don, I was worried from day 1 (that being the day I learned I had bought a bike that was reported to have a FD problem). I have an '01 with just short of 80K on it. The PO, GoldenDragon, said that a dealer had done a pre-emptive FD rebuild just prior to the expiration of warranty. I lost my rear main seal at 68K, and tore the bike down for that. Since I had it apart, I thought it would be a good time to just peek inside the FD for an inspection and because I just wanted to see what was in there. That's when I found that my bearing retainer was broken in 5 places.
I used Curtis' video as a guide to rebuild mine, and discovered, as he suggested that I might, that I was over shimmed by a wide margin. Likely the dealer that rebuilt it at 30K simply replaced the bearing and stuffed the old shims back in without measuring.
I'm now a firm believer is taking a peak. It's really not that hard to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts