BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Be careful with different type and maker of tires front to rear. It is actually the geometry and most important the combination of print on the tires. The front tire is made in such way to support the efficiency of the rear with regards to water evacuation in rainy weather.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Be careful with different type and maker of tires front to rear. It is actually the geometry and most important the combination of print on the tires. The front tire is made in such way to support the efficiency of the rear with regards to water evacuation in rainy weather.
I won't tell the back tire what I put on the front, we'll be fine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
In a rainy weather your rear tire will tell what you done with the front.

Ride in the wet with mismatched tires? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! The sypes on the front and rear work together to evacuate water.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
In a rainy weather your rear tire will tell what you done with the front.

Ride in the wet with mismatched tires? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! The sypes on the front and rear work together to evacuate water.

I'm not running a race slick, any tire I choose to put on the front will be one designed to evacuate water.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Exactly. You just used the "key" word: DESIGNED. Both tires (front and rear) of each maker have a tread designed and tested as pair so the water evacuation performed by the front tire to "work" with the water evacuation ability of the rear. It might be a detail but details are those which a make the difference in life. Anyhow you asked for a modern tire option for our bike and it just happened to have find while made a lot of search for an option with regards to the rear tire which is 2 years old (metzeller realesed cruisetch series on 2019). I checked it and went with this option since I was disappointed with the rear ME888 performance. It is now 2021 and I believe that if we have the opportunity to install a tire with the technology of 2019 then it would be preferable to use it instead of tires launched back in 2005 (like the BT-020 of Bridgestone). It gas worked for me so far in mountain roads with many turns, low quality of asfalt and in rainy conditions in comparison with the rear ME888 which in same conditions gave me many scary moments.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So you are adamant that the front and back tires have to match... and you are using the Cruistech rear and a non matching front?

If the water dispursement pattern is ultra critical how does one control all the variant factors that affect the pattern such as heavy vs light rain, road camber, grooves in road, smooth vs rough road surface, turn radius, varying speed of motorcycle, etc. etc.

It's great that you've done your research and have had good experience with the cruisetech, I'm sure it's a great tire and it's nice to know this is another option for our bikes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just sent first the image so to base on that my explanation for the choice I did. As you will see on the image (ME888 on the left/cruisetec on the right) the thread pattern of the two front tires is quite similar. I sent a message to Metzeller asking them if it was acceptable to do this combination since there is no size of our front tire available in cruisetec family for the time being. They never answered. Having experienced very difficult times in a road trip with low temperatures and wet conditions at continues turn roads with the weather changing to sunny and wet during the trip but the rear tire slipped again and again I had no other choice. Actually the performance of the rear tire was detoriating as time passed the months to follow (just to make clear that when I start to have problem with the tire it was October 2019 and the tire was installed on the moto August 2017 having about till that time about 5.000km on it). The rear tire was dangerous for me and I could not enjoy anymore the bike. That's why I chose this solution and as I mentioned on my first message the moment Metzeller will produce our size for the front in cruisetec then I will replace the ME888 asap.

·
Registered
49 Posts
We do not have the endless straigh roads you have in America. The contrary I would say. I need to feel safe and enjoy the ride whenever I have the time to ride the bike (which is rare due to the needs of the family and job) so for me the safety and feel safe actually on the bike is important. At the end of the day what is keeping us on the bike are those two pieces of rubber and taking into account the safety there is no compromise for me and I believe for all of us riding a bike. We might find 1-2 hours to enjoy the ride whenever we can but we have to make sure we will be back home safe to our family and enjoy the next ride when we have the opportunity. I did not spent this big amount of money to own such a beautiful bike which was a life dream and on the other hand I will start to think why to spent 400Euro every 2 or 3 years and try to make economy on my safety and to the joy of riding the bike. I will pay whatever and whenever needed to enjoy safely.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,767 Posts
I checked out the Metzeler Cruisertech rear tire and found it to properly rated for the LT including the reinforce spec on the side wall. May have to give that one a try next time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I checked out the Metzeler Cruisertech rear tire and found it to properly rated for the LT including the reinforce spec on the side wall. May have to give that one a try next time.
Ofcourse it is suitable and if you remember we had discussed it last year when I post my intention to use it. You had replied to me that time and I am surprised you do not remember it (especially you that you have the biggest knowledge from all of us with regards to this bike and always help many of us with problems and or questions fir the bike). It has exactly the required specification as the ME888 of rear and believe is far superior. I really hope the metzeller will eventually produce the size and spec for the front so to install it and finish once and for all with the headache of tires issue for the next 10 years

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,767 Posts
I guess my age is catching up on me (70 in a few days), but now that you mention it I do remember. Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
I guess my age is catching up on me (70 in a few days), but now that you mention it I do remember. Thanks
It can happen to all of us regardless the age. I wish I could have your sharp when I will be 70. I believe your forgot because you was proactive and made stock as dar as I remember of 2 sets Bridgestone, so it was not an info with high importance for you at that time. I will be 49 on 26th. Happy birthday to both of us then since I assume that dates of our birthday are very close. Have a nice night Mr. John (my name in English by the way). In case you use the cruisetwc in the future you or any one from the forum please let me know your opinion for the performance.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,767 Posts
Thanks my friend, mine is the day before yours. It kind of snuck up on me, I wasn't watching for it.

·
Enjoy The Ride
K1300GT K1200LT
4,022 Posts
I have rode over 300,000 miles on the LT now and almost all of them have had different manufactured tires on the front & back. I disagree with you 100% on the need for matched tires. I use a Metzler front & a Bridgestone rear. They both shed water just fine. Some years I have rode over 10,000 miles in the rain sometimes at over 100 mph. So far this month I have rode about 2,200 miles in the rain.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts