BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Triple Black R1250rt. Previously 2009rt, 2011K1600, 2017RT, 2019RT
292 Posts
Was thinking of looking into running a USB socket in the top box so I can keep my mobile in there and charge it. Has anyone done this? Does anyone know if it's possible?
Yes I have. Not sure what size or model you have?
I ran a new cable in the existing loom on a 49l topbox...a bit fiddly but got it in there eventually.
I have a SAE plug on the plug end so it can be disconnected with the topbox if needed.
Ran directly from the battery as separate fuse so can charge even when stopped for lunch.
Also handy to charge Cardo if on a long day.

ps..mine is a USB A. I'd consider USBC also

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds a little above my skill level. did you come through the same hole the lights run thru?

I have a 2022 1250 RT with the 49L box that has lights and brake lights in it

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
667 Posts
I thought for something with a sensible current draw you could just tap into the LED lighting inside the box. That light comes on any time (night or day) you open the lid, so must be on permanent connection. You don't need to run a separate cable and plug to be able to separate the top box from the bike. My educated guess is that anything with a 2 Amp max draw on a USB socket would work fine. You just need to make sure you disconnect whatever you have chargin when you park the bike up.

Disclaimer: I have ordered my top box when I bought the bike in 2021, I do not know if the earlier top boxes came with the built in curtesy light or not.

·
Registered
2022 Triple Black R1250rt. Previously 2009rt, 2011K1600, 2017RT, 2019RT
292 Posts
I thought for something with a sensible current draw you could just tap into the LED lighting inside the box. That light comes on any time (night or day) you open the lid, so must be on permanent connection. You don't need to run a separate cable and plug to be able to separate the top box from the bike. My educated guess is that anything with a 2 Amp max draw on a USB socket would work fine. You just need to make sure you disconnect whatever you have chargin when you park the bike up.

Disclaimer: I have ordered my top box when I bought the bike in 2021, I do not know if the earlier top boxes came with the built in curtesy light or not.
I didnt tap into that because I wasnt sure it was enough power to charge a phone. If it is then yeah I would link to that to save the hassle.
Mine is a box from 5 years ago and yes it does have the light.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Was thinking of looking into running a USB socket in the top box so I can keep my mobile in there and charge it. Has anyone done this? Does anyone know if it's possible?
If you want the simplest way to do it, just get a larger powerbank battery. Most can charge phone 2x or more depending on size. No holes or hookup, just recharge it at home or destination. Otherwise I would do a setup like Trilergy with a SAE terminal that would allow a waterproof pass through, sell these for marine use and could disconnect when top box is removed. Personally, I just run a cable from my powerport to a small tank bag at end of zipper and can put a waterproof cover over if needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts