BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Mobil 1 Oil Filter

7K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  deanwoolsey 
#1 ·
i just bought one Mobil 1 ( M1-102 ) for my 05 LT. I was told to remove the stickers.... But about the paint??? should i remove that too??? Thanks for everyone's help... This a great site for info... :wave :wave

#2 ·
jbland3 said:
i just bought one Mobil 1 ( M1-102 ) for my 05 LT. I was told to remove the stickers.... But about the paint??? should i remove that too??? Thanks for everyone's help... This a great site for info... :wave :wave
Hi, you are new so please be ready to be beat up!
Please do search for "oil filters" and you will understand.
My opinion is why should I be the guinea pig and experiment the discovery and effects of paint or stickers floating around in the crank-case?!?! I know they are about $4-8 dollars less than OEM....At least get a chrome plated filter!
HERE WE GO>>>>>>>>>>>>>:kaboom:

#3 ·
Sorry if this is going to start something, But after paying $27.00 for a filter at the dealer and the miles i ride each day to and from work, i need to try and save so money... :) :)

Once again thanks for your help. :dance:

#4 ·
:wtf: $4 to $8 less my foot! A new WIX or NAPA Gold, or Bosch filter is $6 or less. That's $21 less than a dealer supplied filter. Hmmm. 1 quart of Castrol 20W50 and a quart of Royal Purple gear lube FREE at every oil change. Pay the price of 1 dealer filter and pay for 3 qts of crankcase oil and you have the materials for a complete engine oil change AND a FREE gear box and final drive fluid change.

No one can be the guinea pig any more regarding painted filters. W a a a y to many of us like the "buy an painted aftermarket oil filter and get a really inexpensive oil change" plan. If I thought there was an appreciable risk I would suck it up and pay the ridiculous price of a dealer filter. But hundreds of thousands of miles on painted oil filters indicates it's throwing away good money. :deadhorse

BTW, you're nuts if you use BMW Motorrad anti-freeze too. Buy what meets the specs and use the money you save to buy a new Kontour seat,(or a new set of Ohlins, etc.). :stir::stir:

BTW remove the sticker and you're good to go!

Loren

SmokinJoe said:
Hi, you are new so please be ready to be beat up!
Please do search for "oil filters" and you will understand.
My opinion is why should I be the guinea pig and experiment the discovery and effects of paint or stickers floating around in the crank-case?!?! I know they are about $4-8 dollars less than OEM....At least get a chrome plated filter!
HERE WE GO>>>>>>>>>>>>>:kaboom:

#5 ·
I have been using NAPA Gold or Super Tech filters for 2 bucks a pop for many tens of thousands of miles with no problem. I have never seen any sign of paint degradation on a filter after removing it. These discussions are nothing but red herrings. If you personally think a $20.00 filter is any better than a $2.00 filter, be my guest.

#6 ·
This is degenerating into a usual oil thread... :(

But, what the heck: check out Beemer Boneyard for filters specific for your bike. Good prices: $9 for the Bosch filter (less in multiples), $9 for the steel wrench. No need to worry about stickers, bypass pressure, etc. (I hope...)

#7 ·
jbland3 said:
Jack, I also would like to save a few $$ if I can and so I purchased (a while back) a half dozen BOSCH #72161 filters for my 05 LT. I forgot what they go for - did a search on the internet and purchased the bunch at once. They were much less $$ than the BMW flavor.

These #72161's are very shiny black with a sticker that peels off easily. For my piece of mind, I peeled the sticker off each (and used it to tap the filter box up). Anyway, the filters come out during the oil change looking just as shiny and black as they went in. The same end filter wrench that I have that works on the BMW filter fits this one too.

Jon

#8 ·
That's the filter I use. I just peel the sticker off & install it. As far as the paint on the filter even if a chip came off if & did make it through the oil pump it would then get trapped in the filter. After all that's the purpose for the filter.

#9 ·
rkimmel2 said:
I have been using NAPA Gold or Super Tech filters for 2 bucks a pop for many tens of thousands of miles with no problem. I have never seen any sign of paint degradation on a filter after removing it. These discussions are nothing but red herrings. If you personally think a $20.00 filter is any better than a $2.00 filter, be my guest.
Can you give me the part number for the NAPA filters. I just ordered 2 filters through NAPA and it cost me 36.00. I have a 99 K1200LT.

#10 ·
jbland3 said:
Sorry if this is going to start something, But after paying $27.00 for a filter at the dealer and the miles i ride each day to and from work, i need to try and save so money... :) :)

Once again thanks for your help. :dance:
know what you mean, $27.00 is out of line, I wait till they have a sale, bought 4 for $48.00 so I'm good to go. Your choice, I know the filter is bathed in oil and painted filters ain't designed for that. I use syth oil also. At least pull the sticker.....

#11 ·
wa1200lt said:

No one can be the guinea pig any more regarding painted filters. W a a a y to many of us like the "buy an painted aftermarket oil filter and get a really inexpensive oil change" plan.....
Loren
Dude, I am not married to BMW or anything OEM, that said my opinion had NO CHANCE of screwing up jbland3 bike, your blanket statement however; I'm not so sure about......
BTW, you get a nice new 'O' ring & never to be used crush washer with the overpriced OEM filter :p

#13 ·
D. Joe, very safely played and good advice. When I bought my ride on consignment I got 6 o-rings and 6 crush washers in little BMW envelopes. I've done 2 oil changes now still using the originals that came on the bike. I think I'll change 'em next round.

Loren

#15 ·
Nah! Just put one of those little factory authorized BMW roundels $20.00 for a leeeetle one) at the bottom (top?) of the filter to dress it up a bit! Crap! Now back to price of factory filter! Ya can't win!

Loren

SilverBuffalo said:
Ok so its unanimous then remove the sticker that comes on the filter,

should I replace it with a BMW sticker?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.