BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for information about Hwy. 61 from St. Louis, Mo. to Hannibal and also Hwy. 36 from Hannibal to St. Joseph. What can I expect? Is this a good way to cross Mo?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mo. highways

61 is pretty boring, as is 36. If you have the time, take 79 from St. Louis to Hannibal, it's a great road with lots of hills and twisties, runs along the Mississippi with plenty of pull out, scenic overlooks. The closer you get to Hannibal the better it gets. From Hannibal west I would 6 west from Quincy Ill, just North of Hannibal. Take 6 west to 63 north to 136 west to 169 south. That will get you to St. Joe. 136 is a good road, it doesn't look like much on the map but it has been freshly paved and more twisty than the map indicates. The other option is to go south from St. Louis and take some of the roads along the Missouri river, 94 or 100 over toward Hermann and Jefferson City. From there you could take 50 over to KC or go on up to I-70. There are some great alphabet roads in that area also. These options will take longer than your original choice of roads, but much more interesting. Have fun and good luck.

DCH

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
I use 36 often

budzee said:
I am looking for information about Hwy. 61 from St. Louis, Mo. to Hannibal and also Hwy. 36 from Hannibal to St. Joseph. What can I expect? Is this a good way to cross Mo?
It's(36) getting more like an interstate all the time. Some places are now 70 MPH. Only about 35 miles are 2 lane..................the rest is 4 lane across the state.
I ride from Cameron, MO thru Hannibal, to Jacksonville, IL in less than 4 hours. Set the cruise at 75 MPH and hang on!!!! I like the wide open 4 lanes so I can see the deer quicker. They are a problem for we bikers.

I don't know much about 61 south out of Hannibal. However, I believe it is 4 lane too down to 70.

My 2 cents worth.

Have a safe trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bmw:

·
Registered
461 Posts
61 from St. Louis to Hannibal is four lane, 79 is two lane and a better ride, if you have the time. 79 is not a great road, but better than 61, for bike riding.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts